Securities with no ticker symbol - downloading quotes causes errors (edit)

Littah914
Littah914 Member
edited March 2023 in Investing (Windows)
This has been going on since an update in early January 2023. Any of my past stocks for which I have removed the ticker symbol and my TIAA money market which has no ticker symbol and a value of $1 are all being changed to $31.21.

I change it back and next one-step update they all get changed back. Some other money market funds get changed from $1 to $31.21 also, so Quicken makes me very wealthy.
I am ready to dump this program that I have used for more than 20 years. I have reported it each time with the report a problem, but nothing changes.

What is the next step to fix this?

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Quicken should certainly not be downloading prices for securities with blank tickers.

As a workaround, I would start by un-checking the Download Quotes box in the Security List for those securities. Since the money market funds always have a price of $1.00, you can set their price to $1.00 and un-check the Download Quotes box for them, too.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Quicken should certainly not be downloading prices for securities with blank tickers.

As a workaround, I would start by un-checking the Download Quotes box in the Security List for those securities. Since the money market funds always have a price of $1.00, you can set their price to $1.00 and un-check the Download Quotes box for them, too.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Thank you, Jim. It was an obvious fix once you pointed it out, but it should not be happening.
  • Ducati
    Ducati Member ✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Today when I downloaded quotes seems like inaccurate stock/fund price quotes were downloaded to many/most stocks/funds and this totally messed up my portfolio totals. Anyone else see inaccurate quote downloads today? 2/20/2023?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    US markets were closed today for the holiday.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ducati
    Ducati Member ✭✭
    Yes I realize markets were closed but nevertheless when I did a download/update yesterday inaccurate stock/fund prices downloaded to my list and have totally messed up my portfolio. Luckily I have backups. Same thing is happening today. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed any download issues recently or it's just on my end?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    any sample common stocks we can compare....
    Also, how does the history look....   Security Detail --> More --> Edit Price History
    and... if it is a glitch, it's just the pricing and should clear up in the near future - no transactions harmed -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ducati
    Ducati Member ✭✭
    Looks like it's happening with Fidelity Funds. The security price history is not affected. Funny thing is that it's also putting incorrect prices on funds and securities that are not typically available for download - ones that I have to update the price manually.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Ducati said: Looks like it's happening with Fidelity Funds.
    ok... what are some example ticker symbols - and what prices you are seeing ?
    Has there been any recent activity on those symbols - buy, sell, div ?
    And if the Security Detail Price History is showing correctly - then how can the "price" be wrong ??

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ducati
    Ducati Member ✭✭
    Here is a Fidelity Fund that does download prices (Tot Ret Bond) and a manual entry fund from a different account that does not download prices (JNL/S&P 500). As you can see, today an incorrect price of $198.27 was entered for both funds when I did an online update of my entire portfolio. There are several other funds that had the same incorrect $198.27 price entered. I think these were all either in Fidelity or in my manual entry accounts.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is the $198 coming from ? 
    Is it actually valid for any actual ticker symbol ?

Instead of selecting all accounts with One Step Update, can you update one acct at a time to help narrow down what the trigger might be - 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a recent post covering the same issue where securities without a ticker symbol were being updated with erroneous prices. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7930002/securities-with-no-price-or-1-price-are-now-listed-as-31-21#latest

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ducati
    Ducati Member ✭✭
    My problem is eerily similar to what is described in the discussion suggested by mshiggins. No idea where these random prices are coming from... I will try turning off download price option for all my securities / funds without ticker symbols (the ones that I enter prices manually or have a share price of $1).
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Tnx for some clarification… 
    it really isn’t a Fidelity issue -
    but now we know it might be related to some non-ticker security entry
    that might have the download quote box check marked…
    have suggested to Mods that these topics be merged ...
    Also - edited topic title to better reflect actual problem

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ducati
    Ducati Member ✭✭
    Today the download/update did not bring in any rogue quotes after I unchecked all the non-ticker securities. I did need to go through and delete all the previous rogue quotes but at least all my totals now look correct. Funny that this happened now. I have not added any new non-sticker securities or funds recently.
This discussion has been closed.