Chase credit card shows as deposit account

the last 2 months my downloaded chase charges are showing up opposite as the transactions. (This is an account I have had for years, with no issue)
IE: every charge is DEDUCTED from the running total, and a payment shows as a negative.
I have reset my account several times with no luck.
Its only one Chase account- the other is fine.
HELP!

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disregarding whether the transactions show negative or positive numbers, does the account balance match what is shown in your online account?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• BetzR
    BetzR Member
    No, the balance is also totally off.
    I tried resetting the account.
    I’m afraid to close the account, thinking it may never reconnect since the account info would not have changed. (Cc# etc)
    Right now I am manually entering and reconciling any account activity.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    (EDIT:  Changed the order of the steps to take based upon likelihood of being the cause of the account balance issue.)
    It sounds like perhaps one or more of these things happened a couple of months ago, perhaps during an account connection setup change or reactivation or during a Quicken version update.  These things were sometimes observed happening with some of the reauthorizations to EWC+ (such as with Chase, B of A, PayPal, etc.) but have also sometimes been observed with other types of connections.
    Before proceeding:
    • Back up your data file.  Then if the following steps do not provide the results you want, you can restore the backup file.
    • ACCOUNT BALANCING TRANSACTIONS:  Delete any account balancing transactions you might have entered since this issue started.
    DUPLICATE TRANSACTIONS:  There might have been duplicate transactions entered into your account register.  The duplicates generally would have occured within the 90-days (it could be more or less than this) of the time period prior to when the reactivation process occurred.  Starting with today's date, work your way backward to about 5 months ago looking for any duplicate transactions.  If you find any duplicates, they will need to be manually deleted (making sure to keep one copy of the transaction in the register).
    OPENING BALANCE TRANSACTION:  If the account is still not in balance then the Opening Balance dollar amount might have been changed. 
    • Do you have a backup file from before when the issue started that you can restore to see what the Opening Balance was back then?  That backup file would not need to be from just before the issue started, it could be from many months or even years, ago as long as this account is in it.  If so, restore it and check the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount and if it is different from what the current Opening Balance transaction is, correct the current Opening Balance transaction dollar amount to match the one from the restored backup file.
    • If you don't have that backup file:  Do you have a saved Quicken report from back then that would include that account and Opening Balance transaction?  If so the Opening Balance transaction amount shown in there could be used.
    • Since it is an issue of only the last couple of months:  You could perhaps manually calculate what the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount should be from the statement dated just before the Opening Balance transaction date in Quicken. 
    2ND OPENING BALANCE TRANSACTION:  If after correcting for an Opening Balance transaction and eliminating duplicate transaction the issue still exists, check to see if a 2nd Opening Balance transaction was entered.  You can look through your account register for a 2nd Opening Balance transaction that has a more recent date than the original Opening Balance transaction.  If you find one, delete it.
    Did any of these steps help to resolve the issue for you?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BetzR said:
    No, the balance is also totally off.
    I tried resetting the account.
    I’m afraid to close the account, thinking it may never reconnect since the account info would not have changed. (Cc# etc)
    Right now I am manually entering and reconciling any account activity.
    Is your account register correctly sorted by Date? Does the Date column title have a little triangle ▴ ▾ as the sort indicator? If not, which other column has it? To sort the register by Date click the Date column title once. To toggle the sort order from ascending ▴  to descending ▾  or back click the Date column title again

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it downloading with the wrong sign?  Or is the balance just going the wrong way?  Make sure you are showing both the Charges and Payments columns and not the single amount column.  

Sounds like you're running a credit balance. Is the balance in red or black? Look back through your transactions and maybe you'll spot one that was entered backward. Or a payment in the charge column or a charge in the payment column. Look around back where this first started happening.  Or maybe you are missing some charges? 

If the balance is in Black, it means you have a credit on the card.  Like if you overpaid the bill or got a refund for something you returned.   When you enter a charge it will reduce (decrease) the credit you have available on it.   And a payment will increase the balance.

Also make sure you have the right starting balance.  If it's zero you might need to add a beginning balance for when you started the account in Quicken.

The credit card balance you OWE should be in RED. If the balance is Black then it's showing the credit card company owes you and you have a credit balance. And then when you make a payment it's like the cc owes you more. So you need to go back though your entries and find where the balance switched to black to being in your favor.

See this for more info.....

A Positive (Black) Balance in a Credit Card Account 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.