Can you select custom dates on Portfolio view? (Q Mac)

DBam
DBam Member
edited March 2023 in Investing (Mac)
In portfolio view graph you can select an end date but not a start date. Previous versions allowed custom date windows. Is there a workaround or a new version coming that includes this?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2023

For the Portfolio graph, you can select 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, 10 years, as well as year-to-date and all dates ("max"):

It's worked this way for the past 8+ years since the modern Quicken Mac came out. I think those 10 date ranges serve most users pretty well. (In the original Quicken Mac 2015, there were 6 options, so it's been enhanced over the years.) Can you give an example of where you'd want to specify a date range for the graph where these options are inadequate for what you want to see?

As for whether ths will change in the future, no one here knows the answer to that, as the developers never indicate what changes are planned.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • DBam
    DBam Member
    I want to look at last 12 months for example
  • jacobs

So if you click on 1y above the graph, doesn't that give you what you want?

• DBam
    DBam Member
    Yes, it does give past 12 months. But sorry bad example. I am trying to begin the graph at a specific point in time when a significant correction/addition was made. So I need to go back ~14 months as of today. Its not critical, I just seemed to recall the ability to do custom dates. Thanks
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2023

Select the “1Y” button and then enter the date you want the graph to end in the date field above it. In your case you would enter an ending date of 2 months ago so the graph would start 14 months ago.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs

I think the issue @DBam was raising was that while looking at one year is easy, there's no way to look at precisely 14 months of history. Except there actually is, although it may not be apparent!

First, select the time range that's large enough to encompass the time period you want. So for 14 months, 1 year isn't enough, so you'd go to the next larger time period of 3 years. Now, figure out the exact date range you want. Let's say in this case we want 14 months back from February 13 — that would be 12/13/21 through 2/13/23. (Note: on a 1-year graph, you can drill down to specific dates; on a 3-year graph, the smallest units you can see are weeks, so you may not be able to quite get it to the exact date you want, but to the closest week.) Position your cursor over the graph and move it left or right until the vertical line shows you are over the starting date you want (or the closest available). In this example, it's 12/13/21:

Now, click and drag your cursor to the ending date you want. In this case, it's 2/13/23:

Quicken highlights the time range you've selected, and shows you the change in the account value in dollars and percentage change. And if you want the graph version rather than the numbers, it's there for you to see, and you can make a screen shot if you want to keep it. (Tip: If you want to alter the end date without starting over, hold down the Option key and click-and -drag the right side line forward or back in time.)

@DBam While this doesn't let you type in a specific date in the past as the start date for the graph, hopefully it gets you to a good-enough visual representation that you were looking for.

• DBam
    DBam Member
    Thanks for everyone’s help!
This discussion has been closed.