Quicken Deluxe crashes when trying to update accounts

punk
punk Member ✭✭
I'm running on version R47.15 on Windows 10. For several days now, every time I try to use one step update I get a Quicken Crash Report. I've also tried going into an account and updating it individually with the same result. The crash report says "Quicken unexpectedly quit the last time it was run." I've rebooted my computer but still have the same problem. I've sent the crash report a couple of times but have not received any response. The accounts I'm trying to update are a Citi bank credit card and several USAA accounts. I've been using Quicken and these accounts for years with only occasional glitches that were usually easily resolved. I'm at a loss here - HELP!

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Did this start right after you had updated to R47.15?
    If so, it is possible that the update did not install properly.  I've seen a few posts that R47.15 did not install properly when they updated from within Quicken producing some unexpected results.
    If you have not already done so, you could try File > Validate and Repair File.  V&R can fix some file and installation issues.
    You could also try uninstalling Quicken...your data file(s) will not be affected by this.  Then do a fresh download and install of Quicken from either your online Quicken.com account or from https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it.
    After installing Quicken, I suggest downloading and installing the Mondo Patch from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product instead of updating to R47.15 from within Quicken.  Installing Mondo Patches, IMO, is a more reliable way of updating to the latest version.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Did this start right after you had updated to R47.15?
    If so, it is possible that the update did not install properly.  I've seen a few posts that R47.15 did not install properly when they updated from within Quicken producing some unexpected results.
    If you have not already done so, you could try File > Validate and Repair File.  V&R can fix some file and installation issues.
    You could also try uninstalling Quicken...your data file(s) will not be affected by this.  Then do a fresh download and install of Quicken from either your online Quicken.com account or from https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it.
    After installing Quicken, I suggest downloading and installing the Mondo Patch from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product instead of updating to R47.15 from within Quicken.  Installing Mondo Patches, IMO, is a more reliable way of updating to the latest version.

• punk
    punk Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the help. I ended up uninstalling/reinstalling. It automatically updated to R47.15 without giving me an option not to, but the problem seems to be resolved. I can download everything except my USAA accounts. It seems to be having trouble with the password. On one screen where it says I need to put in the password a box pops up saying to enter the password with no place for one. I say ok, the box goes away, I enter the password, box pops up again. Grrr. I think I saw something about USAA issues, so I'll do some more searching.
  • Boatnmaniac
    punk said:
    Thanks for the help. I ended up uninstalling/reinstalling. It automatically updated to R47.15 without giving me an option not to, but the problem seems to be resolved. I can download everything except my USAA accounts. It seems to be having trouble with the password. On one screen where it says I need to put in the password a box pops up saying to enter the password with no place for one. I say ok, the box goes away, I enter the password, box pops up again. Grrr. I think I saw something about USAA issues, so I'll do some more searching.
    I'm glad that reinstalling Quicken and the the automatic update to R47.15 worked for you.
    BTW, I recommend adjusting your UAC setting to Always notify so that Quicken will not update without your prior approval.
    Yes, there are quite a few USAA issues posts including at least 2 Alerts.  I do not have any USAA accounts so I don't track them but I do know that USAA has had a long history of connection reliability issues.:

• psode
    psode Member ✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Since the Quicken Deluxe Version R47.15, Build 27.1.47.15 update, I have been having elusive problems with online connections. I also had pesky file validation errors related to "damaged scheduled transactions" and "damaged scheduled reminders" (explained further in another thread), and it kept saying it repaired them, but the ghost reminders and file validation errors continued to the point where I ended up doing a "create a copy" to recover and the validation errors resolved. Yay!

Except that this extreme measure means needing to reset all account online settings, which is continuing to cause Quicken to stall out. Here's one example that I am able to reliably replicate: On an Amex account, when I go to set up online, the main Quicken windows go dim, and then that's the end. The "Activate One Step Update" window never shows, nor does it ever timeout. I either have to reboot the computer or force quit through Task Manager. The problem is the same whether I go to "Set up online" through the quick actions while in the Amex account register, or if I go to Account List .. Edit .. Account Details .. Online Services .. Set up Now.

Despite all the force quits, I'm at least no longer getting any file Validation errors since the "create a copy" maneuver.
  • psode
    psode Member ✭✭
    When One Step Update finishes, no accounts show in my One Step Update Summary window, only "services updated."

After updating to R47.15, my first sign of problem was that it wasn't downloading transactions into my checking account, despite One Step Update Summary having no errors. An early step in my troubleshooting was to Reset Account, but I still wasn't getting new transactions downloaded, and this account disappeared from the One Step Update Summary. So then I "Deactivated" and setup online services anew. The transactions downloaded but the account still didn't appear in the One Step Update Summary. (And that was when I started having ghost reminders and file validation errors related to unspecified "damaged reminders" and "damaged transactions." I eventually resorted to "create a copy" to get to a clean file without validation errors.)

The "create a copy" stripped all my online services (just like the warning says), so I started to set them up, one account at a time. However, even though several appear to update as expected, none of the accounts I have set up for online services appears in the One Step Update Summary. Because I had to start over on online, this means that I have zero accounts in my One Step Update Summary. If I do the "Update transactions" or "Last download summary" I get an empty One Step Update Summary window except for the header green checkbox "One Step Update Complete." I can't tell for sure if it is finishing the update process or when Quicken thinks any of my accounts were last updated. :(
This discussion has been closed.