Home Business & Rental crashing

bluesman101
bluesman101 Member ✭✭
Upgraded from deluxe to home, business and rental. Opened existing data file no problem. Closed it, tried to reopen later. No go. Error reporting box. Only way to get back into my file is to reinstall the program from scratch. Happens on two different Windows 11 installs. Have tried:

• Reinstall HBR.
• COMPETE uninstall, full machine scan for traces. Reinstalled.
• Mondo patch.
• Installed from scratch, fresh data file with one dummy account.

Nothing works. Given that the problem recurs even with a fresh install and a fresh data file, it's hard to see how this could be anything other than a problem with HBR.

Anyone?

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender?

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • bluesman101
    bluesman101 Member ✭✭
    CFA is off.
  • Greg_the_Geek

What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?

• bluesman101
    bluesman101 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    The data file is located in a OneDrive folder on a dedicated data SSD. I'm aware of the cloud storage issue. But I've been using Quicken Deluxe this way for years with no issues. I also tried moving the data file to another directory on the C drive - same problem. Also, as per my OP the same problem exists even with a fresh data file.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @bluesman101 ,

Thank you for continuing to discuss this issue with us here on the Quicken Community. We are sorry for any confusion, and for these ongoing difficulties with crashes.

We understand that the data file seems to have been exhibiting expected behaviors until now, but we have additional troubleshooting steps that will require that the data file be moved onto the local computer. Once your data file is on your computer, I recommend saving a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File… in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then proceed through the steps listed below, in order:

• Navigate to File
    • Select Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Validate File
    • Click OK
    • Close the Data Log
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following:

• Navigate to File
    • Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Super Validate File
    • Click OK
    • Close the Data Log
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Let us know how this works for you, if you get the chance to check back in with us.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared

• bluesman101
    bluesman101 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Thanks, but I've already done that multiple times. It makes no difference. If you go to my original post, you will see that the problem happens no matter what data file I am using, or where it is located. Even if I do a clean install and allow quicken to create a new data file for me, when I try to reopen the program, it still crashes.
  • Greg_the_Geek

I have 2 more suggestions. Try booting your computer into Safe Mode with Networking and then running Quicken. If that doesn't work, try creating a new Windows account and running Quicken.

• bluesman101
    bluesman101 Member ✭✭
    Well, Mr Geek, that was helpful. When I created a brand-new account with admin rights, the issue disappears. What has changed, do you think?
  • Greg_the_Geek

I have no explanation of what gets corrupted in a Windows profile, but I suggested that to other users with crashing problems and it seemed to fix the problem.

• bluesman101
    bluesman101 Member ✭✭
    Then the next question would be why this problem only occurs after the upgrade from deluxe? There doesn't seem to be a lot extra in a home business and rental...
  • Greg_the_Geek

Actually, the software is the same for all versions. It's your Quicken ID which determines your version of Quicken. When it comes to Windows, I've seen many unexplainable problems with other programs as well.

• bluesman101
    bluesman101 Member ✭✭
    Yes, that's true in the general sense, but the fact remains that after upgrading, I now have access to features that were previously blocked, when I had no problems. Occam's Razor dictates that the first place to look for such problems would be with Quicken rather than Windows. Supporting that is the fact that I don't have any other problems with any other software.

Mind you, I'm not disputing that there could be a problem in the relationship between my windows profile and Quicken. My point is simply that even if that is the case, given the specific circumstances under which the problem occurs, it's something Quicken engineers should investigate rather than say “Oh, Windows, you know, there's always problems."

I gather you aren't a Quicken engineer, just a (helpful) Quicken geek, so I'm not pointing fingers at you. But it sure would be nice if Quicken's publisher took an interest in this issue. Given the number of error reports I've submitted at their invitation, perhaps they will.
  • Greg_the_Geek

From Quicken, you could try signing out of your Quicken ID and back in again. As I posted, the Quicken software is exactly the same for all versions. I don't have any crashing problems as most Superuser's don't either so I won't know how to have a Quicken Engineer reproduce the problem to be able to fix it.

• bluesman101
    bluesman101 Member ✭✭
    Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 2023/03/01 14:10:41
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: Application Crashing Events
    Level: Error
    Keywords:
    User: TED-OFFICE\tedba
    Computer: Ted-Office
    Description:
    Faulting application name: qw.exe, version: 27.1.47.15, time stamp: 0x63e3db84
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.22621.1265, time stamp: 0x032d4ece
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x001478a2
    Faulting process ID: 0x0xA1C8
    Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D94C7183A73732
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report ID: 6f89105c-941e-413a-8847-fc50bc010858
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" Guid="{a0e9b465-b939-57d7-b27d-95d8e925ff57}" />
    <EventID>1000</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2023-03-01T19:10:41.1073013Z" />
    <EventRecordID>46578</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="42288" ThreadID="42292" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Ted-Office</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-2200491169-279551856-163122361-1001" />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="AppName">qw.exe</Data>
    <Data Name="AppVersion">27.1.47.15</Data>
    <Data Name="AppTimeStamp">63e3db84</Data>
    <Data Name="ModuleName">KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data Name="ModuleVersion">10.0.22621.1265</Data>
    <Data Name="ModuleTimeStamp">032d4ece</Data>
    <Data Name="ExceptionCode">e0434352</Data>
    <Data Name="FaultingOffset">001478a2</Data>
    <Data Name="ProcessId">0xa1c8</Data>
    <Data Name="ProcessCreationTime">0x1d94c7183a73732</Data>
    <Data Name="AppPath">C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe</Data>
    <Data Name="ModulePath">C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data Name="IntegratorReportId">6f89105c-941e-413a-8847-fc50bc010858</Data>
    <Data Name="PackageFullName">
    </Data>
    <Data Name="PackageRelativeAppId">
    </Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>
  • bluesman101
    bluesman101 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Then again, based on other parts of the windows error log, it seems Quicken outsources its debugging to bugsplat.com anyway. Maybe they'll get their money's worth and find the reason for mine.
This discussion has been closed.