Reauthorize American Express

timl62
timl62 Member ✭✭✭
I logged into Quicken today and was prompted to reauthorize Quicken to download transactions with American Express.  I did so and Quicken updated transactions for all my accounts.  I noticed that my cash balance changed from yesterday's balance.  I recognized that the difference was due to cash payments that I made to American Express. The transactions were still in my American Express register, but were not in the register for my checking account.  These payments were originally recorded as transfers between accounts (checking and Amex).  I was able to easily fix the problem, but I suspect that other Quicken users could be affected by this programming error in Quicken.

Comments

• cgpspencer
    cgpspencer Member ✭✭
    When I reauthorized Amex, the transactions in the Amex account were downloaded into my Venmo account instead. Maybe that happened with some of your transactions too? (Note - I haven't yet figured out a way to fix this)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    On thing I have noticed based on the Chase changed over to Express Web Connect + and the reauthorization is that on the step where Quicken is linking the online accounts to the ones in Quicken, it doesn't always get the account in Quicken correct.  The "Nick Name" which is in grey is hard to see and as such easy to miss.  The "Nick Name" is the name of the account in Quicken.

If an online account is linked to the wrong account in Quicken it is going to continue to be a problem until it is fixed.

There are two possible ways to fix this.  The easiest would be to start again with a backup data file before you reauthenticated and try again, being careful of that linking step.  The other would be that you would have to deactivate the problem account for downloading, delete any transactions that shouldn't be there.  Do the reauthentication again linking to the correct account.  And then finally setup the online downloading of transactions in that account with the correct financial institution.

NOTE: If on the dialog for linking online accounts to Quicken accounts.  If it doesn't allow you to select the right Quicken account, then try deactivating the account in Quicken before trying again.  See this thread: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7928795/botched-amex-re-authorization
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW - This is the exact problem I had. I unintentionally linked to an old, hidden Fidelity brokerage account. I went to backup, deleted the old account, then went through the authorization process. Didn't seem to be working so I reset the account (had to go through reauth again). I think it worked - not sure bc I had no transactions to download and I can't see the last download date/time in the register (that issue is for another post). I have a txn due to come down tomorrow, so we'll see.
  • JNeal
    JNeal Member ✭✭
    Similar problem with the reauthorization of American Express: Went through the reauthorization and when it was done it had changed all the categories (over 1700) to some strange name tied to an old closed account (not AX) totally wiping out how I had each transaction categorized.

I am guessing I need to go to a prior saved backup and try again???? Grateful for any ideas.
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'd restore a good backup and go thru the process again. Pay close attention and make sure you link to the right account. I also had to reset the account after linking.
  • Stig58
    Stig58 Member
    Not all of my American Express accounts were available for download. How do I get the other AMEX accounts to download when they're not presented as an option by American Express?
  • jackw8
    jackw8 Member ✭✭
    I re-authorized my AmExp account and now all transactions since 12/31 are missing in my down loaded account and the cash balance is positive. I downloaded again and was asked to authorize again. I did and still had missing data and incorrect balance. What next?
  • RIW
    RIW Member ✭✭
    I reauthorized by AMX and all transactions downloaded to my bank account. An absolute disaster!
  • newman4282
    newman4282 Member ✭✭
    Yes, I had the same problem. it took me a couple of days to figure out what happened. Very annoying but thankfully once I figured out what happened it was easy to fix.
  • pumford
    pumford Member ✭✭✭
    I reauthorized my American Express business credit card account and received a success message on the AmEx site, but when I returned to Quicken, the account was completely blown away! Even checking in hidden accounts, it's not there, it is completely gone from Quicken, like it never existed. There were hundreds of transactions I need for this year's tax filing, to say nothing of thousands for previous years. There is something seriously wrong going on here. I'm going to try to restore from backup now, but in 30 years of Quicken use, this is the most serious error I've ever seen.
  • pumford
    pumford Member ✭✭✭
    > @mrzookie said:
    > I'd restore a good backup and go thru the process again. Pay close attention and make sure you link to the right account. I also had to reset the account after linking.

I did link to the correct existing account, but after clicking OK, Quicken deleted the account entirely, and it is nowhere to be found, even in hidden accounts! There is no way to reset an account that no longer exists.
  • pumford
    pumford Member ✭✭✭
    > @pumford said:
    > I reauthorized my American Express business credit card account and received a success message on the AmEx site, but when I returned to Quicken, the account was completely blown away! Even checking in hidden accounts, it's not there, it is completely gone from Quicken, like it never existed. There were hundreds of transactions I need for this year's tax filing, to say nothing of thousands for previous years. There is something seriously wrong going on here. I'm going to try to restore from backup now, but in 30 years of Quicken use, this is the most serious error I've ever seen.

Update - I spent 2 hours on the phone with Quicken's technical service rep Gabriel, and he wasn't able to diagnose how the error occurred, and indeed, he observed the error occur again when we tried to reauthorize with AmEx using the restored backup. However, he was able to help me stitch together an almost complete recovery by exporting AmEx business card data from a backup made 4 days ago, importing it as a new account into the current Quicken file that has all my other work for the past 4 days. The "new" account was then able to be authorized with AmEx, and I only had to redownload a handful of AmEx transactions to become current. For me, it's a reminder to backup every time I use Quicken, not just every couple of days. Gabriel was going to notify the development team of this error. Thanks for the help Gabriel.
  • JNeal
    JNeal Member ✭✭
    After my problems with the AmEx reauthorization where it changed all my categories, I went through the AmEx reauthorization again, and it apparently worked. Then, I went to an older backup, restored it and went through the normal account updates. Categories are what they should be and AmEx is working.
  • ERed
    ERed Member ✭✭
    I went through a reauthorization today on my AMEX account. Authorization was complete and new transactions were downloaded. Now, I noticed the Opening balance has been totally changed to the account. In fact, it set the Opening balance with a date in 2079!

This feels and sounds very similar to when Chase connections changed to Direct Connect +. I read several people have lost their categorizations too.

Does anyone have some ideas on how to get this fixed? Is there a patch coming?
  • JPM2
    JPM2 Member

This has also happened to me. After the reauthorization, my opening balance disappeared. I can see my current balance on-line at American Express. Is there a way to do a "journal entry" to adjust the Quicken balance so that it matches my actual balance?

• JNeal
    JNeal Member ✭✭
    After my previous comments about Q seeming to work, I am again getting the notice to reauthorize. I have not done it and am waiting to see what happens on the 23rd.
  • fhp911
    fhp911 Unconfirmed, Member ✭✭
    I also am being required to reauthorize my AMEX account. When I attempt to do so, after filling out the AMEX signin screen, The AUTHORIZE button remains greyed out, and won't accept my click.

NOTE: My problem started a few days ago when I attempted an update between Quicken and AMEX. Quicken insisted I "reauthorize" before it would perform the update of downloading new AMEX transactions.

Pls help!!
  • JNeal
    JNeal Member ✭✭
    As of April 1 AmEx would not update and I keep getting the reauthorize message. Finally gave in and tried to do it. The reauthorization had a strange nickname attached to my AmEx account - that I could not delete or change. The reauthorization went through but changed all my previous categories to one with the nickname. Needless did not save the file and went to a saved version. Will be in contact with Q soon.
  • JNeal
    JNeal Member ✭✭
    Regarding American Express reauthorization: Contacted Quicken chat today and dealt with Monica. She easily understood the issue I was having (reauthorization was clearing all my previous categories for Amex and downloading all transactions again and giving them a strange category related to an old savings account with another firm - not Amex) She understood the issue completely, asked relevant questions, directed me to change a few things in the unrelated old account (delete account name and account number) and then try to reauthorize Amex again. I did, and it worked. Could not be more pleased with the agent and her understanding of the issue and how to fix it. Try the chat if you haven't - hope you have the same luck.
This discussion has been closed.