Blank login screen after Quicken 2015 & 2017 install

Options
marklyn1
marklyn1 Member ✭✭
I had to rebuild my computer from scratch. I have 2 cd's that I bought a few years back, Quicken 2015 home and office and Quicken 2017 Deluxe. I was always using Quicken 2015 H&O on my old pc but now when I install it on my new build I always get the welcome / login screen which eventually goes blank. I do have a quicken and intuit login but never (ever) used them when I was using Q2015.
I've pored though many forums and threads here and tried so many things. Anything from restoring my original config file/folder to the Q2014R17.4MPatch on the QuicknPerlWiz website and even trying to install without internet. No luck. I even tried the 2017 Deluxe install, same white blank screen when importing/converting my quicken data file. I absolutely do not want to go subscription. That is why I bought the 2017 Deluxe so that one day I might "upgrade" to the last non-subscription version. Can anyone help me? I'm getting desperate to get this working and never thought installing a standalone software would not work. FYI, I've tried installing on my Windows 11 (fresh build), a Windows 10 vm test box).

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

This isn't true. All versions of Quicken from 2014 on required a Quicken Id, and you have to be signed in to that Quicken Id to register Quicken. And you couldn't use Quicken without first registering it.

The last version of Quicken that could used without ever using the Internet was Quicken 2013.

I actually warned about this way back in 2014, but people really didn't understand given that the Quicken Id was free, and the word “subscription” hadn't been introduced at that time.

Same thing would have happened if Quicken Inc went out of business and shutdown the registration servers. It just happened sooner since Quicken Inc changed something on the login to the servers and updated Quicken Subscription for it, but of course not the older versions.

The copying of the Quicken.ini file from a working system is actually a very old hack that relies on the fact that the registration information is stored in that file. Given that information is already in the Quicken.ini file when it starts, Quicken doesn't have to log into with the Quicken Id to try to create it.

And let me clear up another point, all versions up to Quicken 2017 started life as Intuit products with Intuit Ids serving the same purpose as the Quicken Id in the case of logging in to register the product. But everyone of them got an update that changed from the Intuit Id to the Quicken Id. And of course the Intuit servers for registering have long been removed. That is why the process is always to first install the last patch so that you are sure you are even working with the Quicken Id instead of the Intuit Id.

If you don't have the Quicken.ini from a working system then your only path is to at least “go through” Quicken Subscription. In other words, you either go to Quicken Subscription and keep using it, or you buy Quicken Subscription, export the data using QIF and import that into Quicken 2013 or below, and get a refund for Quicken Subscription.

You can get Quicken 2013 Deluxe US for free here:

https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/ASDES5672FR13/Old_Products/QWIN/QW2013DLX.exe

And here is help on how to do the import:

https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Since copying the old config file into the new config folder did not work for you, then I'm sorry to say it appears your only option to access your data files for these 2015 and 2017 versions is to upgrade to subscription.

2015 was when Intuit owned Quicken and the product activation/initiation process was made via an Intuit account which, for Quicken, no longer exists.

2017 is no longer a supported Quicken product. Quicken made a change to their product activation/initiation process that works fine with supported versions but does not work with unsupported versions.

If you upgrade to subscription, then in a year after the subscription expires and if you do not renew your subscription you will be able to continue using Quicken manually (Starter edition will become read-only). Note, though, that about 20%-25% of the screen will be taken up by a banner reminding you to renew. That banner can only be removed by renewing your subscription.

Wish I had better news for you.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• marklyn1
    marklyn1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I guess I don't understand one thing. If I installed my 2015 from a CD and didn't have internet, why can't I re-install from that same CD now? It wasn't connected to the internet then as now.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

This isn't true. All versions of Quicken from 2014 on required a Quicken Id, and you have to be signed in to that Quicken Id to register Quicken. And you couldn't use Quicken without first registering it.

The last version of Quicken that could used without ever using the Internet was Quicken 2013.

I actually warned about this way back in 2014, but people really didn't understand given that the Quicken Id was free, and the word “subscription” hadn't been introduced at that time.

Same thing would have happened if Quicken Inc went out of business and shutdown the registration servers. It just happened sooner since Quicken Inc changed something on the login to the servers and updated Quicken Subscription for it, but of course not the older versions.

The copying of the Quicken.ini file from a working system is actually a very old hack that relies on the fact that the registration information is stored in that file. Given that information is already in the Quicken.ini file when it starts, Quicken doesn't have to log into with the Quicken Id to try to create it.

And let me clear up another point, all versions up to Quicken 2017 started life as Intuit products with Intuit Ids serving the same purpose as the Quicken Id in the case of logging in to register the product. But everyone of them got an update that changed from the Intuit Id to the Quicken Id. And of course the Intuit servers for registering have long been removed. That is why the process is always to first install the last patch so that you are sure you are even working with the Quicken Id instead of the Intuit Id.

If you don't have the Quicken.ini from a working system then your only path is to at least “go through” Quicken Subscription. In other words, you either go to Quicken Subscription and keep using it, or you buy Quicken Subscription, export the data using QIF and import that into Quicken 2013 or below, and get a refund for Quicken Subscription.

You can get Quicken 2013 Deluxe US for free here:

https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/ASDES5672FR13/Old_Products/QWIN/QW2013DLX.exe

And here is help on how to do the import:

https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html

Signature:
  • marklyn1
    marklyn1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > This isn't true. All versions of Quicken from 2014 on required a Quicken Id, and you have to be signed in to that Quicken Id to register Quicken. And you couldn't use Quicken without first registering it.
    >
    > The last version of Quicken that could used without ever using the Internet was Quicken 2013.
    >
    > I actually warned about this way back in 2014, but people really didn't understand given that the Quicken Id was free, and the word “subscription” hadn't been introduced at that time.
    >
    > Same thing would have happened if Quicken Inc went out of business and shutdown the registration servers. It just happened sooner since Quicken Inc changed something on the login to the servers and updated Quicken Subscription for it, but of course not the older versions.
    >
    > The copying of the Quicken.ini file from a working system is actually a very old hack that relies on the fact that the registration information is stored in that file. Given that information is already in the Quicken.ini file when it starts, Quicken doesn't have to log into with the Quicken Id to try to create it.
    >
    > And let me clear up another point, all versions up to Quicken 2017 started life as Intuit products with Intuit Ids serving the same purpose as the Quicken Id in the case of logging in to register the product. But everyone of them got an update that changed from the Intuit Id to the Quicken Id. And of course the Intuit servers for registering have long been removed. That is why the process is always to first install the last patch so that you are sure you are even working with the Quicken Id instead of the Intuit Id.
    >
    > If you don't have the Quicken.ini from a working system then your only path is to at least “go through” Quicken Subscription. In other words, you either go to Quicken Subscription and keep using it, or you buy Quicken Subscription, export the data using QIF and import that into Quicken 2013 or below, and get a refund for Quicken Subscription.
    >
    > You can get Quicken 2013 Deluxe US for free here:
    >
    > https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/ASDES5672FR13/Old_Products/QWIN/QW2013DLX.exe
    >
    > And here is help on how to do the import:

Chris, I do have my "old" system backup, including all installed apps including quicken 2015, in an image. I know I can get to the config file/folder you mentioned. But I may have done it wrong and that's why it didn't work for me. Can you point me in the right direction on where that file/folder is and any other steps? I assume I'd need to install Q2015 again and then, not run it, and copy the config file/folder?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Signature:
  • marklyn1
    marklyn1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Update: I found the quicken.ini file in the programdata\intuit\quicken\config and copied to same location on new install and it worked!!! My mistake before was copying the entire config folder over to the new install and that didn't work. Thanks So much for your help!
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem, but I can't seem to get it to load successfully, even with my old QUICKEN.INI file. I have Quicken 2017. I had to have Windows 10 reinstalled on my laptop a week ago. I re-installed Quicken 2017 from my cd and when I tried to open it, I got a blank screen. I was able to find the old QUICKEN.INI file from my old hard drive; and I copied into the config folder. Then I tried to import my data from a back-up file, but now I get a screen that basically asks for me to subscribe. When I go back to look at the config folder, the QUICKEN.INI file has updated to today's date and time when I tried to launch my data file. I copied over the old INI file in three different places, I think - windows folder, config folder that was inside programdata, and I think in the app folder. It's like they system is overwriting my old INI file every time I attempt to open a data file.

Another thing I noticed is that I don't have an intuit quicken folder, as mentioned by the user above. It is only a quicken folder.

Also, this was mentioned above: That is why the process is always to first install the last patch so that you are sure you are even working with the Quicken Id instead of the Intuit Id.

Is this the step that I'm missing? Where do I find the patch? How do I know if I am working with a quicken ID or an Intuit ID?

Does anyone have any clue on how I can get access to my data without subscribing to the software? Am I doing something in the wrong order? Can anybody help me? Any suggestions on what I might try next? Thank you for any suggestions!

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you sure you're installing Quicken 2017 and not Quicken Subscription? The QUICKEN.INI file is in the C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config folder on Quicken 2017 and earlier and not C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Config.

The Quicken 2017 R20.5 Mondo patch can be downloaded from https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-2017-patches.html

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.