How can I stop transfers to investing accounts going to my income and expenses?

david_oz85
david_oz85 Unconfirmed, Member ✭✭
I have been running quicken for a couple of months now and have all my banking and investing accounts setup. When I run my income / expenses by category report, I see four line items which do not belong there:

1. FROM Receivables (Receivables is an asset account to track who owes me money, usually my employer when I haven't submitted an expense report yet)
2. TO Receivables
3. TO 401k (my 401k is setup as an investing account)
4. TO Schwab (Schwab is also setup as an investing account)

Is there something in the account setup, or the way I coded the transaction that is making this happen? I would really like to have these transactions not display in this way because they are not income or expenses. Thank you

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

It sounds like you have your accounts set up correctly.

The Income/Expense by Category report defaults to including just your Banking accounts. To customize reports, click on the gear at the top right of the report. The account selection is on the Accounts customization tab.

On the Advanced tab, there is a Transfers setting which defualts to Exclude internal. This means that transfers between accounts that are selected for the report, such as a transfer from Checking to a pay credit card account, are not included. But with this setting, transfers to and from other accounts will be included in the report. If you want to exclude transfers to and from other accounts to be excluded as well, change this setting to Exclude all.

From your description it sounds like changing the Transfers setting to Exclude all will do what you want, but if you need something different, please post back.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓

It sounds like you have your accounts set up correctly.

The Income/Expense by Category report defaults to including just your Banking accounts. To customize reports, click on the gear at the top right of the report. The account selection is on the Accounts customization tab.

On the Advanced tab, there is a Transfers setting which defualts to Exclude internal. This means that transfers between accounts that are selected for the report, such as a transfer from Checking to a pay credit card account, are not included. But with this setting, transfers to and from other accounts will be included in the report. If you want to exclude transfers to and from other accounts to be excluded as well, change this setting to Exclude all.

From your description it sounds like changing the Transfers setting to Exclude all will do what you want, but if you need something different, please post back.

• david_oz85
    that is exactly what i was looking to do. thank you very much

is there a way to default those settings into that report, or will i have to change them every time?
  • Jim_Harman

You can click on the floppy disk icon at the top of a report you have customized to save it. Reports are saved under Reports > My Saved Reports & Graphs, or you can access them via Reports > Reports and Graphs Center.

Unfortunately you may find some settings that are not saved as they should be.

• david_oz85
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > You can click on the floppy disk icon at the top of a report you have customized to save it. Reports are saved under Reports > My Saved Reports & Graphs, or you can access them via Reports > Reports and Graphs Center.
    >
    > Unfortunately you may find some settings that are not saved as they should be.

Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.