Updating Share and Cash Balance in Investing Accounts

wab49
wab49 Member ✭✭
edited April 2023 in Investing (Mac)
I have been a long time Quicken Windows user and have migrated to Quicken Mac. In QWin, it was easy to update share and cash balances through a menu. Is there similar functionality in the Mac version? Thanks.

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓

I'm not familiar with how it worked in Quicken Windows, but I can take a stab at what you need to do in Quicken Mac.

Add Share or Remove Shares transactions in your investment account allow you to create (or remove) shares out of thin air to get to a correct number of shares of a security. Add Shares lets you specify the date the shares were aquired, and Remove Shares allows you to specify specific lot(s) of shares to be removed, if you know why and when your share balance is off. If you don't know, and are just adjusting your share balance to be accurate as of today, then just be aware that you won't be able to rely on Quicken to accurately track the sale of individual lots of the security on a FIFO or LIOF basis.

To adjust the cash balance in an account, you need to use a banking-type transaction, where Type=Payment/Deposit. Such transactions are now like transactions in cash and credit card registers. To adjust cash, use Category=Adjustment and add or remove whatever amoutn is needed. Transacitons with the Adjustment category are ignored by Quicken Mac in income and expense reports, so they allow you to create (or remove) cash out of thin air.

Post back if that doesn't address what you're needing to do.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓

I'm not familiar with how it worked in Quicken Windows, but I can take a stab at what you need to do in Quicken Mac.

Add Share or Remove Shares transactions in your investment account allow you to create (or remove) shares out of thin air to get to a correct number of shares of a security. Add Shares lets you specify the date the shares were aquired, and Remove Shares allows you to specify specific lot(s) of shares to be removed, if you know why and when your share balance is off. If you don't know, and are just adjusting your share balance to be accurate as of today, then just be aware that you won't be able to rely on Quicken to accurately track the sale of individual lots of the security on a FIFO or LIOF basis.

To adjust the cash balance in an account, you need to use a banking-type transaction, where Type=Payment/Deposit. Such transactions are now like transactions in cash and credit card registers. To adjust cash, use Category=Adjustment and add or remove whatever amoutn is needed. Transacitons with the Adjustment category are ignored by Quicken Mac in income and expense reports, so they allow you to create (or remove) cash out of thin air.

Post back if that doesn't address what you're needing to do.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • wab49
    wab49 Member ✭✭
    I must be doing something wrong. The account I'm struggling with is an account that has an annuity and a stock fund. I go to "portfolio" calculate how far off my share balances are and then go to transactions and attempt to add the missing shares. I pick "add shares" and add the shares, but then when I go the portfolio tab again, nothing has changed. I'm probably overlooking something simple. Any additional suggestions? Thanks.
  • wab49
    wab49 Member ✭✭
    I found the problem. On the one hand, my bad. On the other hand, not entirely my fault, or at least not the way I would have designed this. It seems that the account dates all default to yesterday. Not sure if that's because that was the most recent trading date. In any case, that means that I had to reset the date to today, which fixed the problem. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.