Account Negative Balance

Options
Haroldaccount
Haroldaccount Member
edited April 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I recently sold all of the shares in one of my accounts and added the cash as a cash balance to the same account pending movement to other accounts. The account now shows a cash balance for the account amount, but it is also showing a negative securities value for the exact same amount as the cash balance so the Quicken Balance is showing as 0. I have never seen this happen before and cannot figure out why Quicken is doing this or how to fix it. Any thoughts about why this is happening?

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Seeing a correct number one place (Portfolio View) and an incorrect number in another (Holdings in Account) certainly would suggest some sort of data corruption. Have you tried the “softer” approaches of {Ctrl}-Z in the Account and shutting down then opening Quicken again?

Answers

• ALFAGold
    ALFAGold Member ✭✭
    Options
    My question back to you is: did you use the "Enter Transaction" dialog box in the upper left corner of the investment account? If you didn't I suggest you reverse you current transactions and start again.

1.Use the dialog box at the top to select "Sell/Shares Sold".
    2. Fill in a specific security name and the "Number of Shares" for the sale.
    3. Add "Price Received" (number of dollars per share).
    4. That cash dollar amount should immediately be reflected in the "Total Sale".
    5. Make sure the box labeled Record Proceeds points to your current account.
    5A. You can also point the cash proceeds to the account you want to ultimately move the money. Saves moving the cash in the future.

This should give you the individual sale for that group of shares in your cash balance in that account. Your statement about "added" cash to the cash balance, sound like you are duplicating the math done by the sale function thus the extra cash balance.
  • Haroldaccount
    Options
    I had originally downloaded the transactions from my online account. Prior to seeing your post, I did what you suggest above, and it is showing the correct cash balance, but for some reason it is still showing a negative securities value which is offsetting the cash balance in the account. What's odd is when I look at my portfolio under the Investing tab at the top, that account shows the correct cash balance with no negative securities value. It's incorrect in the account register and in my account balances along the side. It's very frustrating to say the least.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Seeing a correct number one place (Portfolio View) and an incorrect number in another (Holdings in Account) certainly would suggest some sort of data corruption. Have you tried the “softer” approaches of {Ctrl}-Z in the Account and shutting down then opening Quicken again?

This discussion has been closed.