When will you have a fix for Fidelity?

I have been having issues with Quicken downloading transactions from my Fidelity accounts since the beginning of the year. I am aware of the "ONGOING 1/31/23 Fidelity Not Downloading Transactions" update under the Alerts, Online Banking & Known Product Issues section. There has not been an update to the above referenced thread since January 31, 2023. Over one month ago.

I have also reviewed all the other threads on this topic in the forums.

I have tried deactivating my Fidelity accounts from Online Services in Quicken, exiting the application, restarting, reactivating more times than I remember. Doesn't seem to work.

I have tried a "reset" on the accounts in Quicken, it doesn't seem to work.

I have even tried doing the update from my Windows based laptop, instead of using the ARM version of Windows running on my Mac Studio. It doesn't make a difference.

My Quicken data files are stored on a cloud drive.

The only thing I have not done is to create a new Quicken data file, with just my Fidelity Accounts.

What I do know at this point:

(1) When I use One-Step Update to update all my accounts, my Fidelity Accounts don't show up in the list to be updated.

(2) When I try to do an online update for each Fidelity account, the password manager doesn't seem to have remembered my password and I'm not given the option to enter it.

(3) Doing several One-Step updates in a row will eventually allow me to trigger an online update for each Fidelity account. Quicken connects but tells me know transactions were downloaded.

(4) No matter how many times I ask the password manager to remember my Fidelity passwords, it doesn't.

My Questions:

(A) When will this get resolved? From reviewing the forums threads this issue seems to be at least 6 months old, potentially more.

(B) How can I see the detailed logs that Quicken generates when it does any online updates?

Thank you.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

In answer to your (A) and (B) questions:

1. The best we can hope for regarding when issues will be resolved or product improvements will be made is when the fixes/improvements are actually implemented. Prior to that we will only get a “we're working on it” response with no ETA for it.
    2. The Connection and OFX Logs can be accessed at Help > Contact Quicken > Log Files.

I'm not sure why some people are having issues connecting with Fidelity. I have been having no issues connecting and maintaining connections with Fidelity in 4 different data files.

But one thing you stated struck a cord with me: You mentioned that you save your data file on a cloud drive. Are you simply saving back-ups of your data file there or are you saving the actual main data file there and running it from there?

If you are saving and running the actual main data from the cloud drive that could very easily be causing connection issues. While saving back-up data files to a network or cloud drive is OK, we should not open and run them from there. Nor should we be saving and running the main active data file(s) there. Quicken is designed for the main data file to be run from a local drive. Running it from a network or cloud drive risks data file corruption that might not be recoverable. It is not so much a question of if data corruption will occur but when it will occur. It can also cause other unpredictable Quicken behavior issues. You can read some more about this at https://www.quicken.com/support/can-i-share-my-quicken-file-between-multiple-computers-using-dropbox (while Dropbox is in the title of this Support Article, it applies to any/all cloud storage sites).

If this is what you have been doing, you might want to try moving your active file to your local drive and then try downloading from Fidelity to see if the issue is resolved.

If it is not resolved, you might want to create a new Quicken data file and setting up Fidelity with that to see if there is an issue or not.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• mhsimkin
    mhsimkin Member
    Hi:

Thank you for your response.

I have confirmed that I am running the latest version of Quicken (Version R47.15, Build 27.1.47.15).

The cloud drive, in this case OneDrive, all files are kept local and then synced. Could OneDrive’s sync process be interfering with Quicken? Anything is possible, however, to rule that out, I moved the files to a folder not being synced. Same issues.

I did create a new data file, in the same folder as my main file. That file is also automatically synced to the cloud. No issues downloading from Quicken.

Using a second file is not really an option, as I need to have the changes in the Fidelity accounts cross-linked with other bank accounts and automatic deductions from my paycheck.

Given that a data file properly syncs with Fidelity and the old file doesn't, it is an indication that there is some set of data that is corrupt in the old file.

As a software developer, if I ever told my management team, I don’t have an estimate on when something will be fixed, I would not be employed with that firm too much longer after that response.

I need to provide them clarity into the issue, the effort to resolve, or just the effort to investigate. My job is slightly different than the Quicken devs. If my systems are down, it costs the firm real money and is not just an inconvenience to our customers.

I’m very aware as to how OneDrive, and the other Cloud Drive software, work and their limitations. Therefore, I would never try to access a file from multiple drives at once.
  • Boatnmaniac

@mhsimkin said:

The cloud drive, in this case OneDrive, all files are kept local and
    then synced. Could OneDrive’s sync process be interfering with Quicken?
    Anything is possible, however, to rule that out, I moved the files to a
    folder not being synced. Same issues.

I did create a new data
    file, in the same folder as my main file. That file is also
    automatically synced to the cloud. No issues downloading from Quicken.

Using a second file is not really an option, as I need to have the
    changes in the Fidelity accounts cross-linked with other bank accounts
    and automatic deductions from my paycheck.

file properly syncs with Fidelity and the old file doesn't, it is an
    indication that there is some set of data that is corrupt in the old
    file.

I think it is quite possible that OneDrive might have caused some corruption in your active data file. My understanding is the active data file should not be saved/sync'd to a cloud because of this risk. Only back-up data files should be saved/sync'd there. Have your active data file automatically backed up by Quicken to the OneDrive file and let that back-up file sync with OneDrive.

I also agree that since your new data file was able to connect & download properly, it is a pretty good indication that you active main data file is somehow corrupted.

There is a slight possibility that it is not the data file itself that is corrupted but that there is a corruption in the Quicken ID Cloud Account:

• Go to Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web > Sync = ON > OK > Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web > Reset Cloud Account > Reset > Yes > Reset. This will reset the data in the Cloud Account. When completed, turn Sync to OFF (if you do not use Quicken Mobile or Quicken on the Web). Check to see if the issue is resolved.
    • If Reset Account does not resolve the issue: Open your new data file (the one with Fidelity only in it)…Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web > Sync = ON > OK > Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID and Cloud Accounts > Cloud account associated with this ID (X) > click on the Cloud Account name that is associated with the name of your main data file > Delete > Yes > Delete. (If you are not going to use Quicken Mobile and Quicken on the Web, it is suggested that you turn Sync to OFF. ) This will delete the Cloud Account for your data file but it will not affect any of the data in your main data file. Open your main data file…you will likely be prompted to sign into your account with your current Quicken ID and PW and then Quicken will start the process of recreating the Cloud Account for it. This might take a little (not long) while so just let the process complete. Then check to see if you can now download from Fidelity.

If the Cloud Account is not the issue then perhaps, if you have not already done so, you might want to run Validate and Repair (File > Validate and Repair File > check the box for Validate File > OK). V&R can repair some data and program issues. When the process is completed, try downloading from Fidelity to see if the issue is fixed.

If any of these steps fix the issue, then great. Let me know if the issue still exists and we can then explore next steps.

• Boatnmaniac

@mhsimkin said:

As a software developer, if I ever told my management team, I don’t have
    an estimate on when something will be fixed, I would not be employed
    with that firm too much longer after that response.

I didn't say that the Quicken dev team does not let their management team know about fix ETAs. I'm guessing they do keep them pretty well informed. My comment simply was that the Quicken team does not inform us…ever…of the ETAs. The same thing applies to TT's that have been submitted to Quicken. That's frustrating for a lot of people but it is the practice for at least as long as I've been using Quicken (since 2010).

This discussion has been closed.