How do you prevent a category from having entries posted to it

Options
Phil A.
Phil A. Member ✭✭
I have been using quicken for 20 + years and have categories that I no longer use, due to changes I made over that time period. How do you prevent a category that is no longer needed from accepting entries to it? I don't want to delete it, as it may have had entries made to it in prior years.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hmmm….interesting. Have you checked your Memorized Payees List to see if any of the listings include the categories you no longer want/need? If you find them, delete them (or edit them to remove the categories from them).

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

You can't stop the category from being used but you can prevent it from popping up as an option for new transactions that you enter: Tools > Category List > on the right side there will be a “Hide” column…check the box in that column for the Categories you no longer want to be used. After hiding the categories they should no longer pop up in the categories selection field when entering new transactions. If they still show up, make sure to uncheck the box for Show hidden categories when the popup showing the categories to select from is visible.

Note: Even though a category is hidden it can still be used by checking that box for Show hidden categories, again, or by simply manually typing in the category.

• Phil A.
    Phil A. Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, I already had the accounts hidden and show hidden categories was not checked. Not sure how it happened.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hmmm….interesting. Have you checked your Memorized Payees List to see if any of the listings include the categories you no longer want/need? If you find them, delete them (or edit them to remove the categories from them).

• Phil A.
    Phil A. Member ✭✭
    Options
    You nailed it. That's the culprit. I really never opened the memorized payee list. Much appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.