Quicken HB&RP isn't downloading check numbers or deposit details

in the auto update from Bank of Denver. Not for checks written on the account or information for checks deposited. Is there a setting I've missed selecting?

Best Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

For paper checks which you write and mail to pay bills, all the bank ever knows about this transaction is the check number. This number should download when the paper check clears as a paper check. However, some billers convert a paper check to an electronic debit. This drops the check number from the download, but the biller's name should appear as Payee Name instead, allowing you to match the downloaded transaction to the already existing paper check transaction in your register.

If you deposit paper checks at the bank, again, the bank does not record that paper check's number to make it available in the bank statement or for downloading. You can record that number in your New Customer Payment transaction in the Customer Invoices account register and/or the bank deposit slip, but that's about as far as it goes.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

To elaborate upon UKR's statement… what .your bank knows is what's on the MICR line of THEIR documents. IE checks that you write against the account and deposit slips. Your bank (NO bank) records the check numbers of transit items

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoddessofMasonry when did this issue start? Did the check numbers or deposit details download previously?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• The problem started when I changed banks. Quicken worked fine with my old bank accounts. Now Quicken does not download the check numbers with the new bank. I use check numbers to help me track transactions.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

For paper checks which you write and mail to pay bills, all the bank ever knows about this transaction is the check number. This number should download when the paper check clears as a paper check. However, some billers convert a paper check to an electronic debit. This drops the check number from the download, but the biller's name should appear as Payee Name instead, allowing you to match the downloaded transaction to the already existing paper check transaction in your register.

If you deposit paper checks at the bank, again, the bank does not record that paper check's number to make it available in the bank statement or for downloading. You can record that number in your New Customer Payment transaction in the Customer Invoices account register and/or the bank deposit slip, but that's about as far as it goes.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

To elaborate upon UKR's statement… what .your bank knows is what's on the MICR line of THEIR documents. IE checks that you write against the account and deposit slips. Your bank (NO bank) records the check numbers of transit items

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.