Quicken 6.12.3 and MacOS Ventura 13.2.1 - after launch - Application Not Responding

Densunny
Densunny Member

I download Quicken from my subscription. Installed on my Mac. Followed the prompts and uploaded my Quicken for Windows file. All appeared to be fine; however, when I closed Quicken and relaunched it, the application failed “application not responding”. I unstalled and reinstalled (numerous times) and got the same result (insanity!).

Based on some other comments I've seen, I added a new user on my Mac and repeated the download, install as above. Appeared to be fine but again when I closed Quicken and relaunched it, I got the same “application not responding” issue.

Today, thinking maybe my data file was corrupted, I again created a new user and repeated the download and install, but did not load the data file but rather just created a manual entry to see if perhaps converted data file was corrupt. Fingers crossed, I then closed Quicken. When I relaunched it, I got the same “application not responding” issue.

In all attempts, when I launch Quicken, I do get the standard menu bar, but am unable to access any of the options due to the application not responding.

I have been a long-time user of Quicken for Windows but was looking forward to being able to use Quicken for Mac, but right now that doesn't seem like I can. Any assistance on what the issue might be would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

@Densunny Other than telling you that many people are successfully runnig Quicken Mac 6.12.3 on macOS Ventura 13.2.1, I'm not sure I have a clue what in your configuration is causing Quicken to fail. Here are some troubleshooting thoughts/questions…

Have you restarted your Mac in your testing? Sounds stupid to even suggest, I know, but it's amazing the number of oddities which are cured by a restart clearing out some unknown glitch in the operating system.

In your last test, are you saying you launched Quicken, went to File > New (or just landed on the “Let's Get Started” page), selected Start from scratch, entered a few transactions, quit Quicken, and then it wouldn't relaunch?

If you haven't gotten to the Let's Get Started screen, try launching Quicken while holding down the Shift key; in the dialog which comes up, click Cancel to tell it not to open any exisitng file.

When you say “application not responding”, are you just giving a description of what you're observing, or are you referring to what it says in the Force Quit window? How long have you left it running to see if it recovers? (If nothing else, I'd start it tonight before you go to bed, and see if it's still hung in the morning.)

When you create a new file, are you specifying a location for where it is stored, or allowing it to put it in its default location?

Is your Mac configured to store your Desktop and Documents folders in iCloud?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Densunny
    Densunny Member
    1. Have you restarted your Mac in your testing? Sounds stupid to even
      suggest, I know, but it's amazing the number of oddities which are cured
      by a restart clearing out some unknown glitch in the operating system. Yes, again numerous times.
    2. In your last test, are you saying you launched Quicken, went to File
      > New (or just landed on the “Let's Get Started” page), selected
      Start from scratch, entered a few transactions, quit Quicken, and then
      it wouldn't relaunch? I landed on the “Let's Get Started” page, selected start from scratch, entered a transaction, quit Quicken after which it wouldn't relaunch.
    3. When you say “application not responding”, are you just giving a
      description of what you're observing, or are you referring to what it
      says in the Force Quit window? I was referring to what it says in the Force Quit window.
    4. Yesterday I left it “running” for well over three hours and it never responded.
    5. When you create a new file, are you specifying a location for where it is stored, or allowing it to put it in its default location? Goes to a default location.
    6. Is your Mac configured to store your Desktop and Documents folders in iCloud? I don't use iCloud.

Today, I created yet another new user, downloaded Quicken for Mac, double-clicked on Quicken Installer, responded to the dialog box asking for Administrator/password to make changes. Got to the Get Started Screen. I shut down the computer without going further.

Restarted, logged back in, and Shift Key, Launch. Got the Get Started Screen, and responded to prompts. Set up Quicken for an offline account (didn't want to import Quicken for Windows file at this point). Set up a test checking account. Was able to also access the menu bar items. Appears that the application was functional. Quit Quicken. Shut down computer.

Logged in again, held the shift key, launched Quicken and immediately only the Quicken menu bar appeared and the “application not responding” displayed at Force Quit Window.

In the log file there are multiple Quicken_2023-03-09….hang files occurring at the times I have experienced the application not responding issue.

This discussion has been closed.