(QFX) or QIF import doesn’t work (edit)

aramazd
aramazd Member ✭✭

all I switched from desktop version to subscription , then I stopped using subscription ( canceled) … and now I am no longer able to import physically downloaded files ( QFX)

stopped by expired subscription. spent hours on the phne and they want me to a) enter single transactions at a time or b) go back to 2013 version of quicken.

how crazy is their tactic !

$60 to 120/yr now

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Importing .QFX files is consider Online Servies which are deactivated when your subscription expires. You can still import .QIF files.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

Crazy like a fox.

Edit to add:

TANSTAAFL

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

$60 to 120 ? Huh ?
    the Deluxe version is showing $4.99/mo which is still your $60/yr

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• aramazd
    aramazd Member ✭✭

seems I have home,business,rental version that I had purchased while back … and its $120 from 60 …

• aramazd
    aramazd Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023

Also import of QIF will not import for checking , savings, credit card, 401k and other brokerage accounts !

[Edited for Readability]

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

current offerings/pricings - Web $48 - Starter $42 (not listed) - Deluxe $60 - Premier $84 - Home & Busines $120

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• aramazd
    aramazd Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > Importing .QFX files is consider Online Servies which are deactivated when your subscription expires. You can still import .QIF files.

qif format will not import checking savings 401k and mortgage transactions ... not sure why anybody will use QIF it is useless....
  • mshiggins

Quicken will import properly structured QIF files for all account types. I use QIF import regularly for my every other week 401(k) transactions and whenever there is a corporate action needing many transactions for my brokerage accounts - just to cite a few examples.

• aramazd
    aramazd Member ✭✭
    Well it clearly has a warning note as to not importing for checking savings and 401k type accounts.
  • mshiggins

Yes, there is a warning, but a properly formatted QIF file can be imported for all account types.

• aramazd
    aramazd Member ✭✭
    Properly… I am downloading them from Citibank and American Express not hand fixing them:-(
  • Greg_the_Geek

I would suggest trying ImportQIF to fix the QIF files for import.

• aramazd
    aramazd Member ✭✭
    Well I am not saying file is corrupt, just stating the fact as to quicken’s own warning msg, prior to import
  • mshiggins

The warning is just another facet of how Intuit and now Quicken keep trying to convince users to use the latest Quicken versions.

• aramazd
    aramazd Member ✭✭
    Well that is nice, however “quicken account to import into” will not even recognize my already established accounts only sees a closed mortgage account. Hence their note donot see your account … as to not supported checking , savings , bla bla hence forcing you to go with subscription route.
  • mshiggins

I'm not sure I'm understanding the intent of your comments. Are you asking for help on how to import QIF files?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

and what happens when you try to import - any messages or just the fact that the intended target accounts are not listed ?

I have also updated the topic title as we have drifted away from the “cost” issue and are now chasing the “QIF” issues

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• aramazd
    aramazd Member ✭✭
    Well have not tried, since every little change screws up my account and I lose stuff.
    This should be addressed by quicken as to why accounts are not listed… hence my original bait and switch !
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

Well…. just tried to walk thru this process…. and I never saw any Warning Notice about what could be imported…. might just show up for expired/old versions of Quicken.

1 - downloaded some transactions from Chase checking - into a QIF formatted file.
    Note that QIF is very simple - no Acct info - just very basic transaction as a journal/register entry for ANYWHERE

!Type:Bank
    C*
    D03/09/2023
    NN/A
    PCHECK 7161
    T-50.00

2 - Now for Quicken …. File —> File Import —> QIF —> dialog box

browse to QIF file to be Imported
    select Quicken acct to be the target Import
    ALL of my accts were listed
    click IMPORT …. DONE -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• aramazd
    aramazd Member ✭✭
    well, I have this version and this is what I see as soon as I go into import i see the warning !
    version r.47.11 / build 27.1.47.11 home,business & rental
  • mshiggins
    edited March 2023

I am still not understanding the intent of your posts. If you are asking for help with an issue, please describe the issue in detail and any steps and you may have already taken to resolve the issue.

• aramazd
    aramazd Member ✭✭
    not sure how else I can explain .. after posting as to why after stopping subscription my imports have stopped working ... i was told to use QIF format by quicken tech, however, as you can see from my png file it has a warning and will not update any of my already active accounts ( checking savings 401k etc ... ) and I posted the version of my quicken. so subscription cancellation issue with my existing version of Quicken. My intent is to load or use my existing Quicken to import QIF downloaded files and not the WEB CONNECT which has stopped working after subscription cancellation.
  • mshiggins

See this earlier post for a link to a free tool that will format the QIF files for you:

• aramazd
    aramazd Member ✭✭
    There is no issue with the file, quicken is the issue … never-mind folks seems you guys are all in w/quicken. Sorry to have bothered you folks
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

it almost seems like an EXPIRED version will NOT support any QIF actions -
    having nothing to do with the file or accounts …
    it's basically just getting to the File import dialog box and it saying ..

NOPE - not gonna support QIF Imports -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• aramazd
    aramazd Member ✭✭
    Well what I have been saying and seems my quicken is pretty new, however quicken has closed the door and forcing to go with subscription…
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭

Costco online has Quicken deluxe for $39.99 also others cheaper too. If you do a online search for financial programs on google, several show up.

• Greg_the_Geek

None of us are Quicken employees. We're just other Quicken user's trying to help.

• aramazd
    aramazd Member ✭✭
    Ok thank you
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭

Are we all missing the point here? To me if you have enought assets that you are trying to manage and understand in one convenience place, paying for Quicken's subscription is ‘small potatoes’. The value of one's time and effort to post here probably exceeds the 17 cents per day we are debating!

This discussion has been closed.