Version 6.12.3 will not paste amount to 'Use current balance' manual reconcile

Options
Robin Whyte
Robin Whyte Member ✭✭
Today's update will not allow me to paste from a financial website into the 'Use current balance' box which it did before. The copied amount is pasted left corrected in the box and cannot be seen without scrolling to the left, and then the reconcile will not proceed. Manually entering the amount, though tedious, still works.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Can you clarify exactly where you are trying to paste? When I reconcile, I use the middle “Use statement balance” radio button, and I enter the balance in the “Ending Balance” box. Is this what you're describing, or something else? I just tried typing a number (12,345.67) in this text editor, copied that text, and pasted it into the Ending Balance box — successfully.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@jacobs If you reconcile an account that's not connected for online access, the left hand option changes from “Use online balance” to “Use current balance”. I'm not sure how that differs from “Use statement balance”.

In any event, I'm not having any problem pasting numbers into that field. Make sure when you select the balance text in your browser that you're not inadvertantly selecting anything else - it's easy to pick up extra white space characters like tabs or new lines that can mess up a text entry box.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Robin Whyte
    Robin Whyte Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have eight accounts which I reconcile manually, and have done for years. The ongoing balance is available online as part of a table. I can double click it to select that balance amount, which does not collect spaces etc. Then I copy and move over to the account on Quicken to reconcile. When I reconcile I am asked 'how would you like to reconcile your balance?' and I select 'Use current balance'. The existing (last recorded) balance is already selected in the box. Previously a simple paste on to that selection replaced it exactly with my copied balance from the clipboard. Now a paste results in an apparently empty box. However, if I move the cursor to the left of the box my pasted number appears; it seems to have been written to the extreme left and outside the box. Then if I press Next the I get the error tone, and nothing happens. This is a new phenomenon immediately following the most recent update. Hand typing in the box works, however.
    Thanks Jacobs, but you're using a different box, the middle one. I think. And Jon, the double-click to select an online number makes a clean select without white space, etc.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Robin Whyte I tried cutting & pasting balances using Safari on several websites where I have accounts and they all worked fine doing it just as you describe - double click on the number, then copy & paste into the Current Balance window. The number displayed correctly in the window and Quicken didn't complain at all when I clicked on the Next button.

I then tried Firefox and it didn't go so well. First, double-clicking didn't select the entire balance, just part of it (if the balance was $123.45, double-clicking would pick up either “123” or “45”). I had to triple-click to get the whole thing but then it would pick up the “$” character as well & Quicken didn't like that - the selected text pasted into the window just fine but when I clicked on the Next button I got the error beep. I had to click & drag to select the balance without the $ and then Quicken was happy.

So it still seems to me like you might be picking up extra characters somehow. Have you tried pasting the balance into some other application, such as TextEdit, to see what gets pasted in? Or clicking & dragging to select the balance instead of double-clicking?

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Robin Whyte
    Robin Whyte Member ✭✭
    Options
    Well done. It's the browser. Works on Safari, not on Firefox. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.