Mac Quicken Deluxe to Windows Quicken?

cranberry
cranberry Member

My accountant is unable to open my Quicken file, as I have recently started using Quicken for Mac. My accountant uses Quicken for Windows.

They provided me with a link that is supposed to help me export the file as a quicken file they can open, but it doesn't seem to be working.

They have me folllwing the 4 steps below at the link I can't share, but it is titled "Converting Your Data (Quicken for Mac) but this step isn't even visible for me:

1. Choose File > Export > Quicken Windows Transfer File (QXF)....

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓

Quicbooks online is a more expensive and more complex solution than Quicken, but only you can determine if you need the added feature (and complexity) of Quickbooks versus Quicken. If you can track everything you need successfully in Quicken, and only are thinking about QuickBooks so your accountant can access your data, I'd again come back to whether simply exporting the specific data from Quicken which your accountant needs would do the trick.

for instance, if you create a Transactions report by Category for the past year and export it, this is functionally the same as exporting a detailed Trial Balance from business accounting software. What more data does the accountant need to do your taxes?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2023

That export option is now "Quicken Transfer File (QXF)…" so it no longer specifically mentions Windows, but it still exports the same QXF file.

Which version of Quicken Mac are you running?

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• cranberry
    cranberry Member

Thank you Jon!!

I am running Version 6.12.4 (Build 612.47934.100), Quicken Deluxe.

I've sent the QXF file, but my accountant says it cannot import/open correctly on Windows. Unfortunately, I don't have a windows PC to test it on.

• jacobs

The conversion from Quicken Mac to Quicken Windows has never worked, because Quicken Windows does not have an importer for investment accounts. Banking acocunts (checking, credit cards), might import okay. No one understands why the Quicken folks have never invested the time in building an up-to-date converter, but that's the reality.

Does your accountant actually need a Quicken file, though? Ask what data they need, and you should be able to provide it in the form of PDF reports and/or exported CSV files of reports. Quicken has various tax reports, as well as income and expense reports. I think getting report data to your accountant will prove easier and more successful than trying to get your Quicken Mac data converted to Quicken Windows.

• cranberry
    cranberry Member

I only have a checking and a savings in the Quicken account. No investment accounts.

It is for my s-corporation LLC, which makes me wonder if it is just time to switch to Quickbooks online instead.

• jacobs
    Answer ✓

Quicbooks online is a more expensive and more complex solution than Quicken, but only you can determine if you need the added feature (and complexity) of Quickbooks versus Quicken. If you can track everything you need successfully in Quicken, and only are thinking about QuickBooks so your accountant can access your data, I'd again come back to whether simply exporting the specific data from Quicken which your accountant needs would do the trick.

for instance, if you create a Transactions report by Category for the past year and export it, this is functionally the same as exporting a detailed Trial Balance from business accounting software. What more data does the accountant need to do your taxes?

• cranberry
    cranberry Member

That is a wonderful question, and one that I definitely need to inquire more about.

This discussion has been closed.