American Express (download older transactions)

wrabrams
wrabrams Member ✭✭

Is there any way to import historical American Express transacctions to my current Account which only goes back 5 months.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Having that backup file certainly gives you another option and what you suggest might work and would certainly be worth a try. I would suggest using the QXF file export/import process. You can read more about it here if you wish: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-importexport-quicken-transfer-format-qxf-file

If I were to do this, here is how I would proceed:

Backup file: Restore it and save it with a unique file name. TEST or AMEX would be good names.

In the restored file:

1. Deactivate the Amex account on the Online Services tab of Account Details.
    2. Then remove the Financial Institution Information from the General tab of Account Details (everything above the Contact Name field).
    3. Change the name of the account on the General tab of Account Details to something else to differentiate it from the file that is in your active data file. Amex-Export or Amex-Import would be good.
    4. Delete every other account in the file so that only the Amex account remains.
    5. In the Amex account: Delete all the transactions except for the ones you to merge into to your active file.
    6. Click on the remaining first transaction, scroll down to the remaining last transaction and while holding down the Shift key click on it. All of the transactions should now be shaded.
    7. Right click anywhere on the shaded transactions, click on Reconcile Status and then click on Cleared.
    8. File > File Export > Quicken Transfer Format (.QXF) File > Select a file location and name > Save it.

In your active data file:

1. Back it up before proceeding.
    2. File > File Import > Quicken Transfer Format (.QXF) File > Browse to where you saved the exported QXF file and select that file > Continue > Open. This should import the Amex data from the backup file as a new account with the name you gave it.
    3. Once the import is completed: Go to the account register for the imported account. Click on the first transaction, scroll down to the last transaction and while holding down the Shift key click on it. All of the transactions should now be shaded.
    4. Right click anywhere on the shaded transactions, click on Move Transactions and select the Amex account you want the shaded transactions moved to.
    5. Review the moved transactions and make sure all the categories are displayed correctly. If any transactions were transfers to/from other accounts, the transfers will need to be reestablished in this Amex account and in the corresponding transfer account(s).
    6. Click on the 1st moved transaction, scroll down to the last moved transacton and while holding down on the Shift key click on it. Then right click anywhere on the shaded transactions, click on Reconcile Status and then click on Reconciled. (Assumes these transactions had previously been Reconciled.)
    7. Delete the imported Amex account…keep the main Amex account intact.

That should complete the import process. Let me know if it worked for you or if you have any questions.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac

Each financial institution determines how much data they will download into Quicken. Most will download 90 days of transactions but others will download more or less than this. There is nothing we can do to get Quicken to override the financial institution on this using One Step Update or Update Now.

Which American Express setup link are you using?

Some support Web Connect (WC). WC is where one manually downloads transactions from the online account website in QFX (or “Quicken” or “Web Connect”) format and then manually imports that file into Quicken.

You can log into your Amex account and see if this download format is offered. If it is offered you should be able to select the time frame you want to download for.

If you Amex setup link is one of those that does not offer WC, then you can try doing the following:

• Check to see if your online account allows you to manually download in CSV, Excel or OFX formats. If it does, then download and save in one of those formats. Then install a conversion software like ImportQIF which is freeware that can be read up on and downloaded from https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/. It was developed by a longtime Quicken user and very active participant in this Community. This program will convert the downloaded file into a QIF format that Quicken can them import.
    • Or, you can manually enter the missing transactions.

I think that covers it regarding what your options are to get older transactions entered into Quicken.

• wrabrams
    wrabrams Member ✭✭

What if I have a Quicken backup of the account that has the missing historical data. Can I export just the data from the account of interest and then inport it back into my most recent file. The problem occured when updating an AmEx account to the newer connect system.

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓

Having that backup file certainly gives you another option and what you suggest might work and would certainly be worth a try. I would suggest using the QXF file export/import process. You can read more about it here if you wish: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-importexport-quicken-transfer-format-qxf-file

If I were to do this, here is how I would proceed:

Backup file: Restore it and save it with a unique file name. TEST or AMEX would be good names.

In the restored file:

1. Deactivate the Amex account on the Online Services tab of Account Details.
    2. Then remove the Financial Institution Information from the General tab of Account Details (everything above the Contact Name field).
    3. Change the name of the account on the General tab of Account Details to something else to differentiate it from the file that is in your active data file. Amex-Export or Amex-Import would be good.
    4. Delete every other account in the file so that only the Amex account remains.
    5. In the Amex account: Delete all the transactions except for the ones you to merge into to your active file.
    6. Click on the remaining first transaction, scroll down to the remaining last transaction and while holding down the Shift key click on it. All of the transactions should now be shaded.
    7. Right click anywhere on the shaded transactions, click on Reconcile Status and then click on Cleared.
    8. File > File Export > Quicken Transfer Format (.QXF) File > Select a file location and name > Save it.

In your active data file:

1. Back it up before proceeding.
    2. File > File Import > Quicken Transfer Format (.QXF) File > Browse to where you saved the exported QXF file and select that file > Continue > Open. This should import the Amex data from the backup file as a new account with the name you gave it.
    3. Once the import is completed: Go to the account register for the imported account. Click on the first transaction, scroll down to the last transaction and while holding down the Shift key click on it. All of the transactions should now be shaded.
    4. Right click anywhere on the shaded transactions, click on Move Transactions and select the Amex account you want the shaded transactions moved to.
    5. Review the moved transactions and make sure all the categories are displayed correctly. If any transactions were transfers to/from other accounts, the transfers will need to be reestablished in this Amex account and in the corresponding transfer account(s).
    6. Click on the 1st moved transaction, scroll down to the last moved transacton and while holding down on the Shift key click on it. Then right click anywhere on the shaded transactions, click on Reconcile Status and then click on Reconciled. (Assumes these transactions had previously been Reconciled.)
    7. Delete the imported Amex account…keep the main Amex account intact.

That should complete the import process. Let me know if it worked for you or if you have any questions.

• wrabrams
    wrabrams Member ✭✭

Thanks for the extra detail … I will try it and let you know.

• wrabrams
    wrabrams Member ✭✭

Thanks again for your help.

I was able to execute the tranfer of the historical data. I opted to keep the file separate from my current account since I use it primarily as a historical payment record.

I do have a question: I was not able to locate "Reconcile Status". Is that because I am using the Mac program? I was then not able to set the imported file as having been reconciled although all of the transactions were marked as cleared.

• Boatnmaniac

I'm glad it worked for you.

In answer to your question: You posted this thread in a QWin category and my response was specific to QWin. There are some differences between QWin and QMac so it is possible that in QMac "Reconcile Status" is called something different. But I don't know much about QMac. I will request this thread be moved to the appropriate QMac category. Maybe someone with QMac expertise can answer that question for you better than I can.

This discussion has been closed.