Auto-Backup not deleting old versions

captjohn
captjohn Member

I have two quicken files both set to automatically backup every 3 times and maximum number of backup copies set to 3. However the backups are not deleted and end up filling up my disk. How can this be corrected so that it only keeps the number that I specify in the backup preferences?

Tagged:

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Has been discussed over the years …

doesn't work -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

It has always worked for me. I have 4 primary data files and 6 test data files. I have automatic backup set to back up after every session and keep the last 30 files for each of them which provides about 15 days of backups. The 31st backups always delete.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac

One thing I should have added: If there has been ANY change made to the name of the automatic backup file (other than the date and time of the backup that Quicken adds to the name of the backup file) then Quicken starts the file counting process all over with the newly named backup files. The previously named backup files will no longer be accounted for in the count and they will not be automatically deleted so they will need to be manually deleted.

It should also be noted that when Quicken updates the version it will first make a backup of the primary data file and will add the version that is being updated from into the backup file name (see the yellow shading in the picture below showing how this would look).

These version update backup files are not included in the automatic backup files count so they will not get automatically deleted by Quicken. They must be manually deleted when it has been determined they are no longer needed.

Is it possible that it is these version update backup files that are the ones that you are finding are not being deleted?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

whoa - @Boatnmaniac - it does look like it is now working… vs it didn't in the past -
    Am running R47.15 - and will keep an eye on the number of files retained …
    and yeah - the new release auto-backup resets things, so I just delete those…

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

what version are you running…. Help —> About Quicken -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Boatnmaniac
    edited March 2023

I should clarify: I am seeing that the new release auto-backup files do not reset anything. What I am seeing is that those new release auto-backup files are not included in the primary file auto-backup file count. So I still have 30 primary file auto-backup files saved but the total number of backup files are sometimes higher than that because of the additional new release auto-backup files that were also saved in addition to that count.

BTW, I tend to keep the last new release auto-backup file for at least a few weeks because it makes it easy to determine when my installation was updated to that new version. That information can sometimes be very helpful when troubleshooting issues.

This discussion has been closed.