Closed investment account shows a negative securities value

Barbara Acosta
Barbara Acosta Member ✭✭✭
I have an old IRA that was closed both with the investment co. and on Quicken. The cash balance shows as 0 on the main account overview but today I noticed it has a securities value and matching total market value with a negative amount. When I go to Holdings it shows the negative market value of the Cash and no other holdings. A note below that says *Placeholder Entries for missing data are used in these calculations. But there are no Placeholder entries. How do I correct this?

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If you go to Edit > Preferences > Investments: Is the box for Show hidden transactions checked?

If not, check it and then go to the account register screen. Under the register is Placeholder Entries visible? Click on that to view the Placeholders that might be present. If there are Placeholders shown they will need to be resolved before the account can be fully closed out in Quicken.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

Simply deleting them is a good first step to try. You should be able to select Delete All making the process pretty fast. Hopefully that will resolve the issue for you.

If it does not, you might want to go to Help > Quicken Help and then type in How do I resolve Placeholder entries? There is a nicely laid out process for this.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓

If you go to Edit > Preferences > Investments: Is the box for Show hidden transactions checked?

If not, check it and then go to the account register screen. Under the register is Placeholder Entries visible? Click on that to view the Placeholders that might be present. If there are Placeholders shown they will need to be resolved before the account can be fully closed out in Quicken.

• Barbara Acosta
    Barbara Acosta Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, that did work! Can I just delete all of the placeholder entries to get rid of the error? I never know what to do with those. They seem like too much work and I'd rather rely on my investment company statements than futz around trying to research ancient mutual fund prices.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

Simply deleting them is a good first step to try. You should be able to select Delete All making the process pretty fast. Hopefully that will resolve the issue for you.

If it does not, you might want to go to Help > Quicken Help and then type in How do I resolve Placeholder entries? There is a nicely laid out process for this.

This discussion has been closed.