Dividend and Interest income do not appear in my budget

Options
J-C Bailly
J-C Bailly Member ✭✭
I have been trying for a few hours to make these two categories appear in my budget, but failed to succeed so far.
Here is what I did:
1/ All categories related to these two lines have been selected in "Categories" (Div, Int, _DivInc, _IntInc)
2/ The two brokerage accounts are selected in "Accounts"
3/ Evidently, all Interests and Dividends are properly recorded and identified in my brokerage accounts
4/ This comes after I transferred/converted my Quicken Mac file into Windows (I only mention it if it has any relevance to the case).

Could anyone please point me in the right direction to make this happen? This would be highly appreciated.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please take a look at Tools Menu / Category List and make sure that none of the above categories are marked as "Hidden".
    Quicken likes to create built-in, required categories (mostly the ones which begin with an _underscore character) and mark them as "hidden". Unhide the ones you will need to use

Welcome to the wacky world of Quicken for Windows.
    Please read this for more information, some videos and a list of resources to help familiarize yourself with Quicken:
    https://www.quicken.com/quicken-tips
    https://www.quicken.com/complete-guide-getting-started-quicken-windows

Quicken Help! (Quicken for Windows)
    If you're unsure about how to do something, you can find more information about a specific task, function, feature or report in Quicken Help.
    To access Quicken Help simply press the F1 key from anywhere in Quicken (or click Help in the Menu bar, then click Quicken Help).
    Once Help has started, use the Search tab to search using keywords, e.g., "buy security".
    Some Quicken view screens may have a blue (or yellow) button with a question mark. Click it to get view - specific help.
    A browser-based version is available here: https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Quicken+Windows+Help

• J-C Bailly
    J-C Bailly Member ✭✭
    Options
    Many thanks for your prompt advice, none of the relevant categories are hidden. I am not new to Quicken Windows which I have used in the past since 1992 before switching to Mac last year, I am reverting to Windows because the Mac version is not multi currency.

Anyway, my explanations in my first post may not be precise enough. These categories (DivInc and IntInc) do appear in my list of selected categories in my budget in Income, BUT, the dividends and interests received so far this year are not detected by the budget, whilst all my other categories without exception are correctly reflected.

Once again, both my Brokerage accounts are selected in the accounts to be read by the budget, and all possible categories with various names (why so many?) covering Dividends and Interests income are all selected, but none of my past three months dividend and interest income is read by the budget when I select "Details". Hence my question: What else should I do to get my past Div and IntInc seen by the budget?

Thank you for any guidance.
  • jdenton
    jdenton Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am experiencing a similar issue today, while working on my 2022 taxes. When using the "Income & Exp by Category" report, none of my Schwab brokerage interest shows up, either for 2022 or 2023. However, if I utilize the "Schedule B" report under taxes, the interest is correctly recorded. I have checked and the Interest Category is not Hidden.
  • J-C Bailly
    J-C Bailly Member ✭✭
    Options
    I finally found the flaw: it appears that the conversion of my file from Mac to Windows affected the way investment categories are converted.

I deleted manually all my dividends and interests from my brokerage ledgers, and reintroduced them manually, all instantly appeared correctly in the budgeted category lines _DivInc and -IntInc, thus I could remove from my budgeted categories the other investment categories such as Dividend, Interest, Dividend Income and Interest Income (which I don't understand).

Problem solved, the culprit was the Quicken file conversion.
This discussion has been closed.