American Express sync

Options

Since the time that I reauthorized syncing my American Express account to Quicken, the update screen now shows two rows of accounts being synced - one associated with my Amex account and one associated with the particular credit card I want synced. Is this how it should be?

Secondly, and more importantly, I recently noticed three unauthorized charges from the same vendor in my Amex account this year - one in January, a second in February, and a third in March. Amex credited me within the last couple of days for these transactions. Each credit has a posting data equivalent to the original charge posting date. However, only the credit for March 27 has downloaded to Quicken. The other two (from January and February) have not. What's the problem?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"Since the time that I reauthorized syncing my American Express account
    to Quicken, the update screen now shows two rows of accounts being
    synced - one associated with my Amex account and one associated with the
    particular credit card I want synced. Is this how it should be?"

That's not clear. Do you have two accounts with AMEX,a credit card and then something else? If you do then I'd expect that you would see two Quicken Accounts being updated, assuming both Accounts use EWC+ as the downloading method. But you say "now shows two rows of accounts" which suggests this is some new experience. Maybe you do have two AMEX accounts and one of them wasn't on EWC+, but now is?

Clarify, please.

"Secondly, and more importantly, I recently noticed three unauthorized
    charges from the same vendor in my Amex account this year - one in
    January, a second in February, and a third in March. Amex credited me
    within the last couple of days for these transactions. Each credit has a
    posting data equivalent to the original charge posting date. However,
    only the credit for March 27 has downloaded to Quicken. The other two
    (from January and February) have not.

So these three genuine charges, (genuine in the sense that they showed up in the credit card statements and AMEX expected you to pay them, not in the sense that you were really obligated to pay them), were they in the same amount as the "original charge" or different? I'm kind of speculating that if they were in the same amount something in Quicken's process of collecting information was overlooking them as having been already collected and somewhere along the line that got fixed. But here's the deal: EWC+ is simply not as reliable as the Direct Connect method (abandoned by AMEX as a cost-saving move) and lack of downloads or missing transactions in downloads just aren't that uncommon at this time, and I've experience both problems. Presumably this will get fixed in the future but we're not there yet.

To get a better answer to this particular issue, if there is a better answer, you really need to talk to Official Quicken Support directly.

https://www.quicken.com/support#windows

This discussion has been closed.