New downloads have transactions pre-split

I've always had the option to automatically categorize downloaded transactions set to ON and it works fine, but in the last few updates there's an issue with split categories for the same payee.

For example if I assign split categories to a payee after download, Quicken will automatically assign the same split categories with the wrong dollar amounts to future downloads containing the same payee.

How do I prevent this behavior? Surely the categorie should match the last un-split entry and if there isn't one then leave it unassigned.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds like you have a Memorized Payee that is defining the split.

If a downloaded payee, after any renaming, matches an entry in your Memorized Payee List (MPL), Quicken will use the memorized payee along with whatever Category or Split it uses.

To review or edityour MPL, go to Tools > Memorized Payee List.

To stop automatically memorizing new Payees, go to Edit > Preferences > downloaded transactions and un check cut corresponding box.

QWin Premier subscription
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing you could try in the MPL entry for this Payee is to enable the "Lock" (Lock and leave this entry unchanged …) setting.
    This would create a "model MPL entry" to use for future transactions. Changes made while recording a new transaction would not change the MPL entry.

You could also try to use the "Never auto-categorize this payee during quickfill or downloads" setting and see how that works for future transactions.

• SimonSm
    SimonSm Member

Thanks. I tried this with bank ATM withrawals and changed the type back to PMT from SPLIT. I'm assuming this will set all future downloaded transactions to the default "Cash & ATM" and allow me to split as necessary during reconciliation without affecting new downloads.

I don't recall this happening in earlier releases is memorizing splits a new 'feature"?

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimonSm have you considered creating a Cash account where you can track your cash spending?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.