Adjusting market value for non-trackable securities?

rfgriff
rfgriff Member ✭✭
edited May 2023 in Investing (Mac)
Our kids' college funds are in custom mix funds at their provider—one child has their money in a mix of "Target Risk - Conservative" and "US Equity Index." The latter is a straight Vanguard fund, but the former is a mix of about ten different Vanguard funds.

I have no desire to try to set this up in Quicken. I do track our purchases and sales of the custom mix funds, i.e. enter that we sold 20 shares of Conversative at $nn per share to pay tuition, etc.

What I want is a simple way to enter a market value adjustment—just so that when I look at the balance in Quicken, it's closer to the real-world value. I read about one method that seemed to involve creating a dummy account and moving shares in and out of that, but that really seems like overkill.

So what's the easiest way to enter a market value adjustment such that it reflects in the "Market value as of today" header, but not in the account balance?

thanks!
-rob.

Best Answer

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

If you know the number of shares of the security, the easiest thing to do is update the price manually through the Securities window. Right click on the security in that window, select the Edit option, then go to the Price History tab. At the top of the window, enter a date & closing price (the other values are all optional) and click the Add button followed by Save..

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

If you know the number of shares of the security, the easiest thing to do is update the price manually through the Securities window. Right click on the security in that window, select the Edit option, then go to the Price History tab. At the top of the window, enter a date & closing price (the other values are all optional) and click the Add button followed by Save..

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• rfgriff
    rfgriff Member ✭✭
    OMG thank you so much! I just had a 20+ minute chat with Quicken tech support, and they told me it wasn't possible. Because we do track the shares, adjusting the values worked perfectly!

-rob.
This discussion has been closed.