Credit card number changed

Here's my question — I'm new to Quicken, acquired a How-to book and am looking on the website. Last week, we had to get a new number for one of our credit cards. When I tried to update our accounts, I received an error message. but I cannot figure out how to replace the old card number with a new one. Esp, I don't want to lose all the info already stored on Quicken with the old number.

Any ideas hnow I do this? Thanks much!

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

In the account that you want to get the card number changed:

1. In the Opening Balance transaction Memo field: Enter the opening balance dollar amount and save the transaction.
    2. Back up your data file.
    3. Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Deactivate > General tab > delete all of the Financial Institution Information (everything above the Contact Name field) > Online Services tab > Set Up Now > select the Financial Institution and follow the prompts > make sure to Link the download with the current card account in Quicken.
    4. If the Online Balance and the Account Register Balance are the same, then you are done. If not, proceed to the next step.
    5. Check the Opening Balance transaction. If the Opening Balance dollar amount does not match what you entered into the Memo field, change it to match that dollar amount in the Memo field.
    6. Scroll through the register looking for a 2nd, more recently dated, Opening Balance transaction. If you find one, delete it.
    7. Working from today's date backward, scroll through the register looking for duplicate transactions. If you find any, delete them. (You probably will not need to scroll back more than 90-days since most financial institutions download 90 days or less.)
    8. The Online Balance and Account Register Balance should now match each other.

Did this answer your question?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• connums
    connums Member

You mean iot is this increedibly complicated to do such a simple thing? It blows me away — seems a process in need of a revision.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the steps @Boatnmaniac wrote are to prevent or work around some known bugs which might bite you during the process. Only step 3 in his list actually does the work of changing the account data.

In a nutshell, deactivate the credit card account, clear out the card number in the Account Details, and Add back the card. Quicken will find it with the new number.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it look like it is a complicated process because it isn't….provided one or more of the issues identified in the various steps does not occur. I try to be proactive in my life because in the end that tends to be less "painful" than if I am not. And that will often translate into what and how I post in this Community.

As mentioned by @Rocket J Squirrel, the only step that needs to be done is #3 which is what actually changes the account number…and that is why I put it in bold font so that would stand out.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• connums
    connums Member

Thanks to you both for rapid and knowledgable replies; I've been off on another project so am tardy getting back to you. I hope I can figure this out; I don't want to lose all the charges etc recorded in the card's earlier number. I'll see if I'm successful malomg the change tomorrow.

CG

This discussion has been closed.