Does Quicken store my contributions to my Roth IRA?

Options
Jeff Schwarz
Jeff Schwarz Member ✭✭
edited May 2023 in Investing (Windows)

If so, how do I get it? If it does, I would've entered it back when I was still contributing to it, so I'm sure it's there.

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Transactions information is saved in the QDF data files, not in the program itself. So if you did not enter the contribution transactions into the IRA account in your current file you will not be able to find them because they do not exist there.

Do you still have your earlier data file(s)? If so, then perhaps that data can be accessed from it.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

you can always go back thru any paperwork and manually enter your contributions…

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

Is the Roth IRA one of the accounts in your Quicken file? If you don't see it, the account may be hidden. Go to Tools > Account List to find it.

If the account is present, there should be transfers from your other accounts to the Roth account.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options

When you go to Account List, be sure to check the box for Show hidden accounts.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

no magic -

Did you create a Quicken Account to keep track and download transactions from your Roth IRA ?
    Did you create a split entry from a Payroll deposit - or manually enter any Roth IRA contributions ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jeff Schwarz
    Jeff Schwarz Member ✭✭
    Options
    I might have done that with my first files. But I had to recreate it, so probably not.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

Each Quicken file is separate. If you start a new file, the data including all the accounts and transactions you entered in the old file is still there, but you can't access it from the new file.

You would have to open the old file to see the data that you entered there.

It is like having two separate Word documents.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options

Transactions information is saved in the QDF data files, not in the program itself. So if you did not enter the contribution transactions into the IRA account in your current file you will not be able to find them because they do not exist there.

Do you still have your earlier data file(s)? If so, then perhaps that data can be accessed from it.

• Jeff Schwarz
    Jeff Schwarz Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > Transactions information is saved in the QDF data files, not in the program itself. So if you did not enter the contribution transactions into the IRA account in your current file you will not be able to find them because they do not exist there.
    >
    > Do you still have your earlier data file(s)? If so, then perhaps that data can be accessed from it.

Unfortunately, no. So I think the final answer is No, and this matter is closed. Oh well.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

you can always go back thru any paperwork and manually enter your contributions…

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not sure how you think Quicken works…. but it's like most software tools these days… the software keeps ALL of the user data in some file - and you can usually have multiple files…. much like MS Word or MS Excel -
    SO… ALL your data, entered and downloaded transactions, along with settings, reports, stocks, quotes, prices, history, categories, tags, etc - it is ALL in that single QDF file -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jeff Schwarz
    Jeff Schwarz Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > Not sure how you think Quicken works…. but it's like most software tools these days… the software keeps ALL of the user data in some file - and you can usually have multiple files…. much like MS Word or MS Excel -
    > SO… ALL your data, entered and downloaded transactions, along with settings, reports, stocks, quotes, prices, history, categories, tags, etc - it is ALL in that single QDF file -

Yup. I get it. I have gone through several of those files because 1) I've been using Quicken for like 40 years, 2) Systems have crashed, and 3) Quicken has more and more bugs (don't tell anyone on here), and 4) The files get so large that they take a half hour to load, so I start over.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

ok then … I guess we are done here

…..

I've been using Quicken for like 40 years

If so, how do I get it? If it does, I would've entered it back when I was still contributing to it, so I'm sure it's there.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jeff Schwarz
    Jeff Schwarz Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > ok then … I guess we are done here
    >
    > …..
    >
    >  I've been using Quicken for like 40 years
    >
    > If so, how do I get it? If it does, I would've entered it back when I was still contributing to it, so I'm sure it's there.

Yeah, I was pretty inconsistent. Some of that data is actually lost. I think the bottom line is, as I thought above, the info is not there. Oh well.
This discussion has been closed.