Year-End Archive Does Not Work Properly

Choosing "I only want transactions in my current file starting with this date" did not work as it has in the past. The current file was not modified and ALL transactions (including reconciled) remained.

I have used Quicken since the 90's and have used this function with few problems until now. A few users have posted similar problems, but I could not find any solutions.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

And other than telling you to double check the settings you selected (default is to not touch the current data file) you aren't going to get any solutions.

None of the SuperUsers use this feature (which includes me), so at the most we can provide is a quick test, which I did, and it is working for me, and a lecuture on the fact that of how it functions (no removal of non reconciled transactions or investment transactions) and the fact that it will not speed up anything. And for any other problems, you need to submit a bug report. Help → Report a problem, and better yet contact Quicken support:

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

P.S. If you are actually getting an error message then you can try running Validate and Repair, and then doing the year end copy again.

Signature:
  • DoubleEagle
    DoubleEagle Member ✭✭
    I did notice most the other posts regarding this issue were closed with no resolution. Yes, I very carefully select the options (for 20+ years). Interesting that Quicken would put a function in that is not needed per SuperUsers and then eventually not work. Seems they should just remove it from the menu. I suppose this thread too will be closed soon.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

All threads get closed eventually, it really isn't an indication of the status of a given problem.

Note I was giving the opinion of the SuperUsers/some long time users, others will disagree (but the not improving the speed has been proven many a time). This isn't to say what Quicken Inc feels about the feature. I will say that Quicken Mac doesn't have it, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of effort to put it in. On the Mac side they keep stating that they don't need it because Quicken Mac is using a modern database. Well in my opinion it doesn't matter that Quicken doesn't have a modern database. The reason that the investment transactions aren't removed is because it is way to complicated when you stop to think about the fact it would mean breaking up security lots, and then you have ISOs and such too. But the one place it is known that really affects performance by the "amount" it is the investment transactions, securities, security lots, in any given account. In all other cases, Quicken data files have got slow, but as far as I have seen no one has found that there is any connection to the amount of transactions that is causing such slowness. In fact performance problems are one that I hate to get involved with because there doesn't seem to be any set way people have found to resolve the problems other than maybe Validate and Repair or going back to a backup or maybe something on their machine, not really Quicken related, but it Quicken that tends to have problems first.

But back to Year End Copy itself. For any given problem it breaks down to these categories. 1) The user is doing something wrong. 2) The user isn't doing anything wrong, there is a bug, but there are workarounds. 3) There is some kind of bug, but there are no workarounds. Other than the suggestions I have given, Don't use, and Validate and Repair, I know no workaround for any such problems. Now with #2 and #3 lets assume there is a bug. Before Quicken Inc can fix a bug there are going to have be two things in place. 1) They are going to have to think it is important enough to work on out of all the things they need to do. That is going to depend on how many people are reporting it, if they is or isn't a workaround, and other such priority information. 2) They have to reproduce it. This I think is one of the major hurdles, especially when the people that have the problem will not provide a sanitized copy of their data file. After that, then there is a possibility of fixing whatever is going on. But in all cases, one must assume that a fix will not be coming out tommorrow. Sorry people that think that they can report a problem today and have fixed tommorrow. The only time something like that is going to happen is if it something like a connection problem that is fixed by the financial institution or maybe Intuit, and if it is affecting a large amount of people.

Signature:
  • DoubleEagle
    DoubleEagle Member ✭✭
    Agree - I've seen these scenarios play out several times with Quicken bugs. Thanks for your opinion.
This discussion has been closed.