How to create a report on weekly account (multiple accounts) balances

jonmaurer52
jonmaurer52 Member ✭✭
edited May 2023 in Reports (Mac)
I'm using Quicken Deluxe (Mac) V7.0.1. In years past, using Quicken for Windows in a VM on my Mac and before that on a native Intel/Windows platform, I've generated reports that give me weekly account balances. I've used this to create an Excel spreadsheet for purposes of creating my FBAR to go with my US 1040 tax return. When I migrated from Quicken on Windows to native Quicken on Mac, my saved reports weren't brought across and thanks to very useful responses here I understand that I would have to re-create my reports, but I can't seem to find a way of generating a weekly balances report.

So question: is there no report that I can generate to do this in Deluxe or is the only solution to upgrade to Premium? And will the FBAR report in Premium let me create [pretty much] the exact same report that I used to be able to create?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓

Just to add to @Jon's suggestion… You don't need to run the Net Worth report weekly or keep a spreadsheet to do what you want. You can customize the Net Worth report to show your account balances week by week, so you'd only need to run this report at year-end, export to Excel, and get your Max values.

Choose any of the pre-built Net Worth reports, such as "Net Worth by Month" or "Net Worth", and then change the "Interval" above the column headings to "Week". (If you have any closed/zero accounts, you may want to go to Edit > Accounts and de-select them so they don't clutter your report with rows of zeros.)

The FBAR report is very simple: account name, date of max balance, max balance amount. It's more precise than the weekly net worth report, since an account could have peaked and declined between two weekly intervals in the net worth report.

I'm not familiar enough with what your reporting needs are to advise whether it's worth paying to upgrade to Premium just for this.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2023

Take a look at the Net Worth report, it seems like that should be giving you the numbers you're looking for.

But the FBAR report might make your life easier, since you could just run that once at the end of the year and it will tell you the maximum balance of each account during the year and what date that occurred on. You wouldn't have to run weekly reports or keep a spreadsheet.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jonmaurer52
    jonmaurer52 Member ✭✭
    Thanks Jon, I'll give that a try but that will probably give me the max value and date for each account, not the aggregate value across a number of separate accounts, the high point of each account not necessarily (rarely) being on the same day. In previous year's I've created the report across the multiple accounts and then used the Excel MAX() function on the totals per week across the accounts to give me the reportable numbers. My tax guy in the states has always been satisfied with that set of data. But I'll try the net worth report and see if I can cobble something together in Excel. Thanks!
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2023

that will probably give me the max value and date for each account, not the aggregate value across a number of separate accounts

You're correct, it's on an account by account basis. That seems to be what the IRS wants, but I have no personal experience with FBAR reporting so I'll leave it at that.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓

Just to add to @Jon's suggestion… You don't need to run the Net Worth report weekly or keep a spreadsheet to do what you want. You can customize the Net Worth report to show your account balances week by week, so you'd only need to run this report at year-end, export to Excel, and get your Max values.

Choose any of the pre-built Net Worth reports, such as "Net Worth by Month" or "Net Worth", and then change the "Interval" above the column headings to "Week". (If you have any closed/zero accounts, you may want to go to Edit > Accounts and de-select them so they don't clutter your report with rows of zeros.)

The FBAR report is very simple: account name, date of max balance, max balance amount. It's more precise than the weekly net worth report, since an account could have peaked and declined between two weekly intervals in the net worth report.

I'm not familiar enough with what your reporting needs are to advise whether it's worth paying to upgrade to Premium just for this.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jonmaurer52
    jonmaurer52 Member ✭✭
    @jacobs Thanks! The net worth report with edited parameters turned out to be exactly what I need to duplicate what I used to have under Quicken Windows :-) Thanks for all the help!
This discussion has been closed.