Opening balance change

Options
jnash67
jnash67 Member ✭✭

I see a lot of people have been posting about opening balances changing. This happened to me as well. It seems to have happened randomly to a fair number of my most important accounts.

Using R48.9 Build 27.1.48.9 but started happening a couple of updates ago.

Not sure if related but also happened around time I started having a lot of problems with downloads. Had to reset or re-establish online connections for most of my accounts.

Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @jnash67,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Did this issue start as soon as you reconnected the accounts that were refusing to download? Was it a one time issue or have you had recurring issues with opening balances changing randomly?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• J729
    J729 Member
    Options

March 24, 2023: My Money Market account which has always been accurate suddenly showed up yesterday with an incorrect balance. Looking into this, I found my opening balance had changed. When I corrected that opening balance, all was good again with the current balance. Reading these posts, this has been an issue for years. Fix it.

• Rick56
    Rick56 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

I have seen an opening balance added to my savings account in the exact amount of a payment from the savings account to a credit card. I checked the transaction to make sure I did not mess up the category account. I did not. This is not the first time. I have been fixing it by deleting the opening balance line so that my first transaction in the savings account was my initial deposit. This is a strange issue that I can fix easily. It is just a nusance. Any words of wisdom for this?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Rick56,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Is this happening when you have to disconnect, then reconnect the account? If so, does it happen every time or just randomly? If not, does it happen randomly, or are there certain actions that trigger it? Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)?  The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Organone
    Organone Member ✭✭
    Options
    I just experienced the Opening Balance Changed by EWC. I was using manual download and import from Scotiabank, and it worked OK. When V48.15 (Canadian) came out, I thought I would try the One Step function. Transactions downloaded, but the opening balance, R...a reconciled transaction) was changed.
    Could we please have some more information about this problem? It would be nice to know if this is a recurring issue. Also, when is a fix coming?
    I've used Quicken for over 20 years, and I know it can be reliable.
  • Rick56
    Rick56 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

Quicken Kristina,

I haven't been able to attribute this issue with any one activity yet. I am watching to see if and when it happens again. My data file is stored and saved on an internal storage drive (i.e. D:). My Quicken is synched to Quicken Cloud. I will let you know if I can find an activity that sets this off.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.