Microsoft Defender Antivirus sample submission request of a Quicken file.

Options
JB_105
JB_105 Member ✭✭
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but when I started Quicken just now I got a message from Microsoft Defender that:
"Microsoft Defender Antivirus would like to check the following files to see if they are safe" C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w2940\quicken.2022r48.15.to2022r49.22.wyu
Never had this happen before. Any ideas?

Answers

• JB_105
    JB_105 Member ✭✭
    Options
    So I updated Quicken and got a notice of an update available to install. r49.22. Just is odd that Microsoft Defender is suddenly suspicious of this process.
  • Dave1234
    Dave1234 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Just got the same message. Extremely unlikely that Quicken is actually propagating malware... perhaps somewhat likely that something during the patching process simply looks suspicious because of how it operates.
  • JB_105
    JB_105 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks. It helps to know I'm not the only one this may be happening to.
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

I got the same message and used the option in the message to report to Micrsoft that this is safe software in order to update Windows Defenders list.

Deluxe R55.26., Windows 10 Pro

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

To me this looks more like something is new in Windows Defender than in Quicken. As in, it checked that it is OK to send a file to them to check it out. I would suspect that most anti-virus software send files to their servers to check out without asking. This is probably the result of someone complaining about such, and Microsoft prompting you to make sure it is OK. You will notice that in no way did it actually say the file had a problem. Note I just got the same prompt, so I know that Windows Defender didn't find anything wrong with the file I let it send.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Steve Long Time User
    Steve Long Time User Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I've seen the same request recently. r49.22 ??? A day or so later, Quicken was unable to reach the server for any requests. A day later, Quicken failed and claimed my subscription had expired. Restarting and relogging in was necessary to get Quicken subscription status back. Now it thinks my AMEX account has been deleted (CC-800), but it's not. And at the same time It wants to update Quicken to R48.18 HF3.
    This seems quite out of band for Quicken. I'm surprised and confused. Something is amiss?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I suspect your problems are directly related to what the Windows Defender prompt. I suggest that you post yours as a new question so that it gets the right visibility. Select New Post from the top of the page.

Signature:
  • Steve Long Time User
    Steve Long Time User Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks @Chris_QPW for the suggestion. Much appreciated.
    I think however this time, I just wanted to confirm seeing the same issue with MS Defender Antivirus as did JB_105 and add some comment on what also happened immediately following that event. In case others may have seen this activity. So I believe I'm in the right place.
    As of 4/26, all is back to normal, and the update to R48.18 HF3 is completed.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is your system up-to-date on Antivirus definitions and/or other Windows System Updates?
    Have you contacted Windows Support for assistance in this matter?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For what it's worth, I did the update today and didn't get this prompt from Windows Defender. I suspect that people that got this prompt earlier and sent the file to Microsoft resulted in it being put on the "whitelist" for future installs.

Signature:
  • JB_105
    JB_105 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I didn't get the prompt from the last Quicken update so I had kind of forgotten about this issue.
    These notices seem to be occurring only since a recent update to the Windows Defender program.
    I also sent the file to Microsoft the first time and this time as well. I may send a bug report to Microsoft for what it's worth.
This discussion has been closed.