Previously reconciled accounts suddenly not reconciled

oldbirch
oldbirch Member ✭✭
Issue: I reconcile all my accounts every month or two, to the penny. Every so often, an account suddenly becomes unreconciled. It can take quite a while to find the problem and is often a year or two back, sometimes more. A transaction suddenly goes missing or is off by a random amount. I am not the only one who experiences this problem. I've used Quicken for over 10 years. This only started happening a few years back. It really needs to be fixed.

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

Of course this sort of problem can also be the result of user error, by accidentally changing an old transaction or deleting it without meaning to do so. I've followed the practice of protecting, to a certain extent, old transactions from this kind of error by

File > Set password to modify transactions…

at the end of each month. I simply use the same password for this function as I do for my data file since I'm really trying to protect the data from my own mistakes. You can still modify old transactions if you want to, but Quicken's pop-up warning when I try to do so brings my focus back onto what I'm doing and allows me to ask myself "do I really want to do this?"

If you haven't already, you might give that a try.

• BradySwede
    BradySwede Member

In reconciling an account, I am not able to get the month to reflect the correct amount of opening and closing balances; thus my current balance isn't correct.

This discussion has been closed.