How do I upload a QFX file into my current Quicken (Windows)?

Options

I just renewed my Quicken subscription. I saved a backup file in 2021, in Dropbox. I don't see an option to import or restore a QFX file. What can I do to retrieve that old information? Thanks to whoever can help.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Is it a QFX file or is it a QDF data file? When you say "backup" that tells me it is a QDF data file. QFX file is a type of file that financial institutions download that gets imported into a QDF file in Quicken…they are not backup files.

If is it a QDF data file:

1. Copy or move the backup file to your hard drive and save it to the BACKUP folder of your Quicken folder. (You can go to File > Find Quicken Files to see where your Quicken data file folder is located.)
    2. Then File > Restore a Backup File > browse to where you saved the Backup file and click on it > Restore Backup. This process will restore the Backup file. Make sure to save it to the Quicken folder, not to Dropbox. (Make sure that the main data file is saved and run from your hard drive, not from Dropbox or some other Cloud Storage site. It is OK to save backups to Dropbox but not OK to save and run the main data file from Dropbox.)

If it is a QFX file: This file will be a single download of transactions from a single financial institution. It is not a Quicken data file. To be able to import a QFX file you must first have a Quicken data file already set up and functional (via File > New Quicken File or via File > Open Quicken File). Then you you can go to File > File Import > Web Connect (.QFX) file > browse to where you have saved the QFX file and double click on it. Quicken will then import the data into the file and will ask you to decide whether to Add an account to enter the data into or to Link it to an existing account in Quicken.

Did this answer your question?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options

Is it a QFX file or is it a QDF data file? When you say "backup" that tells me it is a QDF data file. QFX file is a type of file that financial institutions download that gets imported into a QDF file in Quicken…they are not backup files.

If is it a QDF data file:

1. Copy or move the backup file to your hard drive and save it to the BACKUP folder of your Quicken folder. (You can go to File > Find Quicken Files to see where your Quicken data file folder is located.)
    2. Then File > Restore a Backup File > browse to where you saved the Backup file and click on it > Restore Backup. This process will restore the Backup file. Make sure to save it to the Quicken folder, not to Dropbox. (Make sure that the main data file is saved and run from your hard drive, not from Dropbox or some other Cloud Storage site. It is OK to save backups to Dropbox but not OK to save and run the main data file from Dropbox.)

If it is a QFX file: This file will be a single download of transactions from a single financial institution. It is not a Quicken data file. To be able to import a QFX file you must first have a Quicken data file already set up and functional (via File > New Quicken File or via File > Open Quicken File). Then you you can go to File > File Import > Web Connect (.QFX) file > browse to where you have saved the QFX file and double click on it. Quicken will then import the data into the file and will ask you to decide whether to Add an account to enter the data into or to Link it to an existing account in Quicken.

Did this answer your question?

• Beenawink
    Beenawink Member
    Options

Dear Boatnmaniac,

I see why you're a Superuser here! Thank you so much for your help. I found the right file to upload and followed your instructions. Everything uploaded into my new Quicken perfectly!😊

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

@Beenawink - Glad to have been of assistance! And thank you for posting here that it worked for you. Other's might find it helpful to them, then, too.

This discussion has been closed.