How would you handle this situation?

jnprop
jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭

I left my credit union a couple of years ago when they so-called upgraded their systems and dropped their Quicken connection and went to manual download only. (I left a couple accounts open to continue my membership with them for loans, etc) I had been with my credit union for 20 years. Recently, for the last few months I am able to connect thru Express Web Connect with automatic download of transactions just as I had done for years. When I call the bank to ask if they renewed their Quicken connection they say no, they are still on a manual download. This is just not true. And I have took it to supposedly to the higher ups. The reason I am saying all of this is I would like to move my active accounts back to the credit union. I've thought of calling Quicken support to confirm they do in fact have the Express Web Connect connection and then forwarding some proof to the bank to say "Hey, you do in fact have this, now how long do you plan on keeping it?" It is sad the incompetency of so called professionals these days but that is where we are at. Any input on how to deal with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

The name of the credit union is Legacy Community Federal Credit Union. When you go to add an account, it is listed as Legacy CFCU-Digital Banking. It is clearly listed and connectible thru Express Web Connect but I need something to convince the bank of this sadly.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

How about naming your CU?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jnprop
    jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭

@Splasher… Updated my post.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

How would I handle this situation? I would be quiet, keep my head down, and leave my accounts where they are.

The CU's web site says they (purposely) only support Web Connect. Possibly EWC got turned back on by accident and if you continue to talk to them about it, they'll realize what they've done and turn it off again.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jnprop
    jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

@Rocket J Squirrel Oh wow I see that in the FAQ's. Probably good advice. However, I didn't mention that the private bank recently changed hands and now is charging for ATM fees both ways. They used to refund all fees. My husband uses the ATM at work quite often and the atm is owned by the CU. I would really like to go back to the credit union for my active personal & business accounts. I guess I am just loyal that way. Moreover, I would confirm that they would keep the connection before I move back and do not care if they turn it off with the two inactive accounts I keep them there to stay an active member but never use them. Also, the rates on loans just can't be beat at the credit union. However, i did just go in and apply for a car loan and they approved us with no question just having those two inactive accounts. So there it that…. I should take your advice. but probably want. [Removed - Disruptive]

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Would it be worth it for the husband to use one of the inactive accounts for his ATM withdrawls? Every so often, he could make a deposit into the account to cover his next few ATM actions by depositing a check into that account via the ATM or even via their website, I know it has been a while since I stepped into my CU, but I deposit checks via the website periodically.

He would have to plan ahead since they generally don't allow you to make a deposit of a check and then pull out some funds based on that deposit.

Regarding whether or not they support EWC, they only have to approve of Intuit providing that download method since it is Quicken/Intuit logging into their computer and doing the download as if they are you. The Web Connect method requires their software on their computer to generate the download. Since EWC doesn't require the CU to maintain any software and they aren't required to troubleshoot issues with it, they could be stating in all good faith that they don't support EWC and in reality, they don't, they just allow it.

• jnprop
    jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

@splasher Your last paragraph is interesting to me. So for a manual download (Express Connect) they have to have software? Do they have to pay for that software or pay a recurring fee? That seems backwards….When they stopped the EWC a few years ago they acted as though it cost them something. Like their was a fee or cost associated with ECW. That was how they explained to me that they would not be providing that anymore. And in fact ECW did stop working at that time. Thats why I left. But then you go on to say they can support EWC or just allow it. When the "upgrade" happened they did neither because it did not work period . I am confused now.

I was under the assumption that EWC cost them something monetary or otherwise and that's why they dumbed ECW and went to EC (in my mind it was free for them). Theoretically, if allowing ECW may not cost anything…. why would they care if I used ECW if it didn't cost them anything to use it? Im really confused. Moreover, if they only allow it, then could it come and go randomly? This is all so interesting and seems more complex than it has to be.

Oh, and I have already written my letter…….i don't listen. Good idea about the husband

• jnprop
    jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

@ Splasher

Also do you know what you are talking about….. because Quicken is not owned by Intuit anymore

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

@jnprop

[Removed - Disruptive]

Also do you know what you are talking about….. because Quicken is not owned by Intuit anymore

Do not try to show a SuperUser like @splasher how stupid he is. He knows more than you. Intuit maintains the EWC connections to FIs for Quicken.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jnprop
    jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭

@Rocket J Squirrel You took my comment out of context. I have a weird sense of humor. I appreciate the help you both have provided. And thank you for the clarification about Intuit's relationship with Quicken. Im sure @splasher is a big boy and can take care of himself. Are you his bodyguard? (more humor)

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm well aware that Quicken is not owned by Intuit any longer, in fact, they are on their second investment owner group now.

I'd also like to think that I am very well versed in what I post on this forum because I take the time to write it, proofread it and make sure that I have my facts correct. I don't respond to questions that are not in my knowledge base.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to be careful with your typing, there is no Express Connect or ECW or EC, you are leaving out very important words and scrambling letters. If you can question my knowledge, I can pick on your typing. 😀

The connection methods are Web Connect, Express Web Connect, Express Web Connect+ and Direct Connect. There are definitely fees for Web Connect (WC) and Direct Connect (DC). There may or may not be fees for EWC and EWC+. With WC and DC, the financial institution is responsible for all of the programming. With EWC, it is all on the aggregator's (Intuit) dime. With EWC+, there is some programming on the FI's side, but the aggregation is still on Intuit.

• jnprop
    jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭

@splasher

Looks like you do have a sense of humor. Some people don't! That is very interesting that the CU went to Web Connect which involves fees. When I complained and ultimately left it was presented to me like it was cheaper for them. Maybe I misunderstood. I'm just not sure. Maybe it had nothing to do with money and more to do with programming and how they wanted things set up. Or maybe Web Connect works better with their so-called upgraded system. All I know is I was using Quicken to connect via Express Web Connect for years and they changed it. I complained. They didn't care. I left. EWC did not work at that time. Now, almost 2 years later and then recently for the last few months I have been connecting to the credit union via EWC without issue. I call the CU and they say we do not support that. We only have the manual download (Web Connect) Is my typing better? lol My husband is a big proofreader!

I did share a paragraph from one of your replies with them in my email. I found it helpful in adding further context. Thanks for your input!

S

• jnprop
    jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭

"Regarding whether or not they support EWC, they only have to approve of Intuit providing that download method since it is Quicken/Intuit logging into their computer and doing the download as if they are you. The Web Connect method requires their software on their computer to generate the download. Since EWC doesn't require the CU to maintain any software and they aren't required to troubleshoot issues with it, they could be stating in all good faith that they don't support EWC and in reality, they don't, they just allow it."

@splasher Talked to the tech guy at the CU just now and you are spot on. They are just allowing the EWC connection. He explained that they had the Direct Connect method before and that's what was discontinued. He affirmed that I am connecting by EWC and that unless they do major upgrades that I will continue to connect via EWC. He further explained that Quicken searches out bank websites…..he called it scrubbing… to establish the EWC connection. If banks are ok with that it remains. If they are not, they remove it. They want remove it unless they do a major upgrade again. And in reality it is not removed…. it just gets cleared out with the upgrade. Then it would be a matter of time before Quicken comes along and scrubs their website again to establish the connection.

So this is what happened I think when they upgraded their systems 2 years ago and dropped Direct Connect. I was connecting by EWC. With the upgrade, they cleared out the EWC connection. It came back recently because enough time had passed that Quicken "scrubbed" their website again to establish the EWC connection

So in mind I start thinking. Move back to the credit union. If they upgrade, call Quicken & ask them to re-establish the EWC connection. Does that seem feasible and make sense to you? Or maybe no one has control over that and it is an automated process……….. He said he is aware of a major upgrade in 2+ years………. ( i doubled checked all my terms and abbreviations today…lol)

Thanks for all your input!!!!!!!

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Talked to the tech guy at the CU just now and you are spot on. 

Oh, so splasher does know of what he writes, I accept your apology.

The tech guy referred to "scrubbing", I'm not sure what Intuit calls it, but once they start downloading from a FI and the FI allows them to continue, it goes along as is until the FI makes a change to their website that causes the download from the FI to the aggregation server to fail. At that point, it shows up on Intuit's problem list and they will eventually get around to fixing it. I'm speculating that the list is prioritized by how many users are affected by the failure, but that is PURE speculation, they could have a job jar and it is based on luck of the draw to which issue gets worked on first.

Quicken is the customer in this EWC process with Intuit providing the aggregation service. The only thing Quicken can do is pass your complaint onto Intuit, but there is no way that I am aware of that as a Quicken user that you can call Intuit directly and complain.

If it fails in the future, check this forum to see if it has been reported and that there has been an Alert created about it in this category: https://community.quicken.com/categories/alerts

• jnprop
    jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

splasher Yes, I do apologize if I forgot to say. But it was really a knee jerk reaction and meant to be light hearted & humorous. That doesn't always come across on the screen. I also double & triple checked my abbreviations & terms today… I hope you noticed! 😁 Thanks again!!!

This discussion has been closed.