Customizing Columns

nhmartens
nhmartens Member ✭✭
edited June 2023 in Reports (Windows)
All I want to do is dump the transactions from my checking account to Excel. But I'm having an issue with the columns. Here's a image of the columns shown in the register:

I perform the following steps: Click on Reports/Reports & Graph Center/Transaction/Customize/Accounts (select checking account)/Show Report.

Here's the columns that come up:

Notice the report contains columns missing from the register display (e.g. Balance) and columns that are not on the register (e.g. Tag).

I used the Customize icon to remove the unwanted columns but I don't even see Balance as an option. I understand, from an earlier post, why there's only one column labeled amount rather than separate columns for payment/deposit. Although I totally disagree with the logic behind it. But I would be nice to at least make the column headings AGREE (Payee vs Description).

Is there an easier way to simply 'dump' the contents of an account into Excel or am I forced to use Report? And is there a way to get the balance to show up?

Thank you.

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

There are two ways to export an account register to Excel. Unfortunately, neither of them matches the on-screen register exactly.

One way is to click on the gear at the top right of the register and select More reports then Register report. This is the same as the report at Reports > Banking > Transaction customized to include just the selected account. You can add and remove columns from this report but it does not include a Balance column.

The other way is to select File then Print <account name> or hit Ctrl-P. This includes the Balance column but does not respect the column selections in the on-screen register. The layout depends on whether you have selected one-line or two-line format for the register.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

There are two ways to export an account register to Excel. Unfortunately, neither of them matches the on-screen register exactly.

One way is to click on the gear at the top right of the register and select More reports then Register report. This is the same as the report at Reports > Banking > Transaction customized to include just the selected account. You can add and remove columns from this report but it does not include a Balance column.

The other way is to select File then Print <account name> or hit Ctrl-P. This includes the Balance column but does not respect the column selections in the on-screen register. The layout depends on whether you have selected one-line or two-line format for the register.

QWin Premier subscription
  • nhmartens
    nhmartens Member ✭✭
    The second option is what I'm looking for. Thanks for your help.
This discussion has been closed.