Why do my budget numbers keep changing automatically?

Options
bmastersonmn
bmastersonmn Member ✭✭

I have now set up budget up at least 10 times and for the first 6 of those, Quicken would change the numbers as soon as I did a Cloud sync. I have reset my Cloud data multiple times and then on the most recent attempt, the budget numbers held for a couple weeks. Now I went in this morning and the numbers all changed again. Where are these budget numbers coming from and why do they keep overwriting the numbers I manually set in Quicken? This is more than frustrating.

Answers

• DDChes
    DDChes Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

Why does my budget keep changing after I sync? The only way I can use a budget now is if I turn off mobile and don't sync. When I restore a backup to get the correct budget, it will only remain correct until my next sync - then all the numbers change again.

I have tried validating, super validating, resetting the cloud, deleting the cloud, changing my data set name to match the cloud name, etc. Nothing works. I do nothing on the mobile side to change anything; in fact, I don't even sign in while doing all the above fixes, yet something in the cloud remains, and changes everything on my desktop. Frustrating that deleting and/or resetting the cloud seemingly does not do either.

I see others have had the same issue, yet no fix? The only solution is to not use mobile and to not sync?

[Merged Post]

• bmastersonmn
    bmastersonmn Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have done all the same things and I must be insane to keep doing the same things over and over and expect different results. The only constant is that whenever it resets my budget numbers, they are always the same wrong numbers. Somewhere these are stored in Quicken and something is triggering them to come out of the darkness and overwrite my budget. The other thing is that it doesn’t replace all the numbers. A couple line items don’t change but most of them do.
  • DDChes
    DDChes Member ✭✭
    Options
    Same here. Same wrong numbers. So, the issue obviously is that there is cloud data that is overriding the desktop data. It is unbelievable that resetting the cloud and/or deleting the cloud does not delete nor reset anything. Until they allow a clean reset of the cloud, this will seemingly never be fixed. I also have many hours into this over the past few months expecting it to finally work, yet same results as you.
  • herbb623
    herbb623 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Same thing happening to me. I've called and chatted about it multiple times. No help or fix. Seems like we can use 'budget' OR use cloud / mobile, but not both!!! Please fix!!!!!
  • herbb623
    herbb623 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    If everyone who is having these budget issues can go to quicken...help..Report a problem..and send in a report.. Until enough people let them know of this issue, it wont get looked at or fixed..
  • Scott_in_Florida
    Options

Just happened to me again. So frustrating. I think cloud sync got reactivated after I had to deactivate and activate again my checking because it wasn't syncing. I didn't see Cloud Sync was checked as I've had it off. Hours of work as the year goes on trying to remember my budget for each month.

• bmastersonmn
    bmastersonmn Member ✭✭
    Options
    I started just setting a few budget lines up at a time and then waiting several days and adding a few more if I felt like they would be stable. I got through recreating the whole budget that way and then suddenly last week, they were all changed again. I did nothing to reset, force a resumc, etc except use the software to sync as designed. I honestly don’t think the bogus numbers are in the Cloud but rather sitting somewhere in the desktop software and something with the resync causes them to activate and overwrite the budget. I don’t understand why someone from quicken is totally ignoring this thread.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello All,

This is a known issue that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

Unfortunately, the work around in the mean time is turning off the sync with mobile and web.

Thank you!

(CTP-6291)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• BagleB
    BagleB Member
    Options

Is there a way to get credit back for our subscription while we are waiting for this to be fixed as the defect renders half (Mobile/web) of the Quicken features non-useable?

• herbb623
    herbb623 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This is very annoying and keeps me from using Quicken fully. Been going on for a long time now. When will Quicken developers look into this and fix it????

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@DDChes Well you have found the problem and it is the "Sync" feature. Sync in any program is fraught hidden issues. Quicken is sync feature is not different. When I first came out I copied my data file and with that copy I experimented with it. It never did work right and in all probability never will. A large majority of the issues that Quicken users have can be traced to this "feature"

Syncing by its very nature is fraught with difficulties. What are you really syncing with? Is it old data that had to be restored because of some error on the cloud end? Is it current data? How do you know? Which cloud server are you connecting with? Are those cloud servers properly in sync? Also passing the information back and forth only exposes you more to Murphy's Law. Turn the feature off. You really do not need it.

• bmastersonmn
    bmastersonmn Member ✭✭
    Options

it’s been known since the beginning that it’s the sync feature causing the error and you bring up some good points regarding the cloud and how that infrastructure is managed. However, I prefer to use the mobile feature because my client runs on a Windows desktop and my laptop is a MacBook where the Quicken client is terrible. If they made the Mac software better, I would use that exclusively when I travel. But I want to use my phone with the mobile app because I am away from my Windows machine for long periods of time.

I always read the release notes and I see them working on enhancements that seem to be not that important (at least for me). If they could take those development resources off those trivial enhancements and focus on this issue, that would be appreciated by a lot of folks that are frustrated with this sync issue.

• WIGal
    WIGal Member
    Options

I could have typed any of these responses! This is the most annoying thing. Quicken's budget feature used to be quite good. (I'm talking years ago.) I don't even use mobile, and as of right now, I don't know how to turn off the sync, but I will try.

I will also try to figure out how to report this to Quicken.

I thought the whole point of manually entering the budget was that I could set the budget how I want. I want to stick to a budget that I have set. I don't want a budget for next month based on some amount I may have over spent in the prior month. It seems like this is what is happening to me, rather than the sync. It seems to be giving me an avg spending for the last X months and repopulating the new month's "budget".

Luckily, I have my Excel spreadsheet with my master budget that isn't changing.

• bmastersonmn
    bmastersonmn Member ✭✭
    Options

I think you are somewhat right about the numbers but I also have categories that I removed from budget and have no spending against yet they still come back into the budget worksheet. I actually believe that it is not syncing these numbers from the web but rather something in the sync is triggering the budget modification using numbers stored in the client software.

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@WIGal Sound like you may have inadvertently turned on rollover for some of all of your budget categories. While budgeting does have some shortcomings I have mine set up so I can export any budget from Quicken and quickly import it into Excel to achieve the information that I need.

• Chris Ingoldsby
    Chris Ingoldsby Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Team Quicken, I love your product but this should be a Sev 1 fix… having access to mobile is a big feature and having to turn this off due to this problem really lowers the value of the product overall. Hoping you can have your dev team provide an ETA or at least a feature to turn off the sync only for budget so we can still use the mobile app.

• Q97
    Q97 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I love Quicken too, but I’m concerned about all the ongoing self-inflicted data file corruptions. Q corrupts budgets. It corrupts paychecks (I know it did mine). It corrupts opening balances. All these (and more) are well documented here by many users. Most likely these are related to their flawed cloud sync process. It’s unimaginable to me that Q hasn’t seen all these issues in their own internal testing. If they truly haven’t, then their QA is sorely lacking real-world test cases.

Their first “solution” is always validate/super validate your data file. That isn’t a solution. We didn’t corrupt the data file, Quicken did! A data file corruption is the most serious of bugs, and should be a call for all hands on deck. Stop with the minor UI tweaks until the core functionality is solid.

• bmgraphics
    bmgraphics Member ✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

I have the same Budget re-writing issue, and I don't use "Sync". I quit using that a few years ago due to the horrid file corruption it caused. I experience many minor anomalies with Quicken that I didn't have years ago. Seems like with every update, things get worse. What I've done in the past few years, is re-enter all of my accounts into a brand new file at the beginning of each year to start fresh.

• imdcareys
    imdcareys Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

They should discount the subscription price for a situation where the sync process that is touted as a Feature corrupts the data. Part of the reason many bought Quicken was to be able to use Web or Mobile to conduct business. But we can't.

Win 11 - Quicken Premier - v54.16

• bmgraphics
    bmgraphics Member ✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately, there is no real alternative equivalent software to Quicken. I realize it's a complex program, but I'd rather they didn't include features that don't work well or cause data corruption. That is very counter-productive.

• Toporion
    Toporion Member ✭✭
    Options

This just happened to me and hoping we can get an update from Quicken soon as to a fix. I also agree that a discount should be given since mobile is one of the benefits of using Quicken online.

• thoaingan
    thoaingan Member
    Options

I turned off Cloud Sync / Web / Mobile, and the budget still keeps being changed, especially after whenever there's a Quicken software update. This is insanely frustrating because I have had to re-enter my budget numbers numerous times!

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@thoaingan After you turned off Cloud Sync etc did you validate your data file?

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@bmgraphics Data corruption can be caused by many events not related to Quicken. A power surge, improper closing of Quicken are just two examples.

• benduncan21
    benduncan21 Member ✭✭
    Options

This is happening to me as well. It is beyond frustrating. I need the sync feature so that I can share date real time with my wife. This basically makes the budget feature (which is one of the most important aspects of personal finances) non-usable! As soon as I can find a better alternative, I will move away from Quicken! Once Intuit sold the Quicken to H.I.G. Capital, it has gone down hill very fast. I suppose Intuit knew their product had too many bugs/flaws to keep it relevant with changing times and decided it was just best to ditch it!

• bmastersonmn
    bmastersonmn Member ✭✭
    Options

Given how important the mobile feature is and Quicken’s unwillingness to prioritize a fix for this, perhaps we need to shift this discussion to alternate products. Does anyone have a recommendation for a product to replace Quicken?

• jon_in_davidson
    Options

I'm having the same issue. Budget amounts are randomly changing. Very frustrating!

• bmgraphics
    bmgraphics Member ✭✭
    Options

This seems to be a significant ongoing issue for many. I wonder if anyone from Quicken monitors these boards.

• bmgraphics
    bmgraphics Member ✭✭
    Options

What a pity that this key feature is has become a useless frustrating feature. For me, so many other things that worked really well in Quicken years back, have now become glitchy annoyances, growing with each update patch.

This discussion has been closed.