Missing Post

Options
NebularNovice
NebularNovice Member ✭✭

I'm having real trouble using this board. I entered a question about how to record a gift, then entered another question about a problem with QuickAssist. I can find the second question but cannot find the first question. The first question initially appeared in "My Discussions," but is not retrieved there any longer.

Unanswered under my account shows a count of 2, but clicking on it gives me one totally unrelated result which has nothing to do with me or my topics.

I am guessing I should repost my first question, but I'll wait to see if anyone has an idea on its disappearance.

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello again @NebularNovice,

I apologize for the delay in my response.

I went ahead and looked at your profile as well as searched through our log and spam queue from yesterday. Unfortunately, I was not able to find the post you described that is missing. I apologize for not being able to provide an answer as to what happened to it, but I do see your other posts were posted successfully, so if you haven't done so already, please feel free to repost the missing post.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Options

Hello @NebularNovice,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

Do you recall what the topic of the missing post was, as well as the date and approximate time it was posted?

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• NebularNovice
    NebularNovice Member ✭✭
    Options

The missing post asked a question about how to record a gift of stock shares to a relative. It was posted about 1:15 pm EDT today. I can easily recreate it if it is lost. I think one of two things could have happened to it: it somehow got merged with or superseded by the second post or someone edited it away thinking it was a duplicate.

It was shown when I asked for my discussions, along with the second question which was posted about 1:23. (I edited the second question for a typo a bit later, but after I discovered the first one was missing.)

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Recording a gift of stock shared to a relative is more of a question for your CPA, stock broker, accountant, or financial advisor to answer. I'll defer to any CPA's that might be monitoring this discussion but, it might be as simple as the stock sale cash value assigned to a gift expense category.

• NebularNovice
    NebularNovice Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the response, RalphC. I know what the proper tax treatment is. My question is how to get Quicken to report the gift in a gift category. If I do the simple Quicken entry of removing the stock, Quicken will nicely remove the proper number of shares and retain the proper tax basis of the remaining shares (by subtracting the cost of the shares removed from the total tax basis). Unfortunately Quicken does not allow a way to put the cost basis (or the fair value) into a category reporting the gift for later summaries.

Note that I did not sell the stock. I transferred it to the recipient's brokerage account.

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Again, that's a GAAP question. Once defined by an accounting professional, you can figure out how to enter it into Quicken. But, speaking as a retired IT professional, it seems to me that your books are liquidating the gifted stock value. In other words, the transfer value is the market value on the date of transfer. This produces an effective cash transfer to someone else's books which I would record as a gift expense.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@NebularNovice - please take a look at this post. It describes how to report a stock gift on Quicken. Even though the OP uses Quicken Mac, the answer was given for Quicken Windows.

• NebularNovice
    NebularNovice Member ✭✭
    Options

Since this part of the discussion is off-topic for the question posed here and may be detracting from getting an answer to that question, I have replaced the missing question in the proper category. Hopefully that will result in two focused discussions.

The new question is at (hoping this link posts properly).

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@NebularNovice - did the post I attached not answer your question? I know you didn't donate the shares to charity, but you could just use a "gift given" category instead of a "charity" category.

• NebularNovice
    NebularNovice Member ✭✭
    Options

No, it did not answer my question, for reasons I would prefer to discuss where I posted the separate question instead of further distracting this discussion.

I would really like to know why my original question got lost or deleted in the first p.ace.

• Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello again @NebularNovice,

I apologize for the delay in my response.

I went ahead and looked at your profile as well as searched through our log and spam queue from yesterday. Unfortunately, I was not able to find the post you described that is missing. I apologize for not being able to provide an answer as to what happened to it, but I do see your other posts were posted successfully, so if you haven't done so already, please feel free to repost the missing post.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• NebularNovice
    NebularNovice Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the followup. It will apparently remain a mystery. I have already replaced the missing post and have some responses that I need to study.

This discussion has been closed.