Discover Bank

Options

Answers

• westelsdon
    westelsdon Member ✭✭
    Options

How does one roll the version of Quicken back to 49.29?

• Matthew42
    Matthew42 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

@westelsdon

https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.49.29MPatch.EXE

It is important thereafter to reject all attempts by Quicken to install updates.

• westelsdon
    westelsdon Member ✭✭
    Options

I just tried the method from MintUserNew and it worked for my Discover Card, but not for my Discover Bank savings account. Someone above said that trying to reconnect to "Discover Bank" was a no-go and they were right. I could not find another name to use for Discover bank, so that means I can download my credit card transactions, but not my savings account transactions. This result suggests to me that there is still some sort of working relationship between Discover and Quicken and that the inability to download Discover Bank account data is strictly a Quicken problem. Applying Occam's Razor to this problem, it seems clear to me that whatever changes Quicken made going from R49.29 to the next version are responsible for the loss of connectivity to Discover Bank. I'm also thinking that unless that gets fixed first, the next iteration from R50.16 will simply re-introduce the problem and I'll need to go thru the process for addressing the Discover Card issue all over again.

This is pretty sad, Quicken.

• ArunBaheti
    ArunBaheti Member ✭✭
    Options

Very frustratng, getting the CC-501 on Discover Card. Just rolled back and it seems ok. Not ideal, but I don't imagine I'll miss any features that came with the update since I do pretty basic personal books.

• Gerry Blue
    Gerry Blue Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This "known issue" needs to be re-escalated++

C'mon folks. Get this fixed!!

• bmchollan
    bmchollan Member ✭✭
    Options

Updates aren't just about added features — they also fix security vulnerabilities. This is what's kept me from doing the "roll back"

• Tas3086
    Tas3086 Member
    Options

Anyone tried installing QW27.1.49.29MPatch.EXE on another system, adding Discover accounts, and the exporting the data?

Then importing that data back into my main 1.50.xx quicken system? Is it possible?

• Matthew42
    Matthew42 Member ✭✭
    Options

@Tas3086 I haven't tried, but I would expect that to have the same problem as upgrading a 49.29 installation with a Discover Bank account to 50.xx. Quicken will likely force the account transition to ExpressWebConnect+, which simply doesn't work.

• Matthew42
    Matthew42 Member ✭✭
    Options

@bmchollan Looking at the release notes for the releases after 49.29 nothing is labeled as fixing security vulnerabilities. So I guess you just have to decide if you trust Quicken's documentation of what's included in each patch.

• Matthew42
    Matthew42 Member ✭✭
    Options

@ArunBaheti If you're trying to connect a Discover credit card, make sure you are choosing Discover Card Services as the financial institution. That appears to still work.

• ArunBaheti
    ArunBaheti Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks! Yes, I tried. Downgrading to a prior version worked for me so I'm just going to wait now for it to get fixed I guess.

• outteach
    outteach Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem. Quicken only shows my Discover Card account although I also have a Discover Bank checking and savings account.

• Gerry Blue
    Gerry Blue Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I currently maintain 3 Quicken files, two of which contain a Discover debit account and a savings account. What's interesting is that I'm only experiencing this problem in 1 of the 2 files. The other file continues to update the Discover Bank accounts via Express Web Connect (not EWC+). I have not yet been forced into an update to EWC+ in that file. I have no idea what's different between the two setups but there does appear to be some inconsistency.

• Rick11
    Rick11 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

FYI: I contacted Discover via their support link on the website on June 7th, 2023, and Discover Bank Customer Support replied, and I quote from that email:

"Unfortunately, Quicken and QuickBooks software is no longer supported. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

You are able to access your transactions anytime through your online account center by clicking on your Activity under your account details. You are also able to download the transaction history in an Excel or CSV file.

Any questions concerning Quicken or QuickBooks products can be address directly to the financial software provider (either www.Quicken.com or www.Intuit.com)."

So, I would assume, based on what Discover stated, that Quicken is not working on a fix….!!!

• cynwins
    cynwins Member ✭✭
    Options

Rick11 - That's exactly what Discover told me as well. I'd feel a lot better about Quicken if they would just be transparent about this. So very disappointing! This product is going downhill month by month.

• Gerry Blue
    Gerry Blue Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

cynwins - what confuses me is that 1 of my 2 files with Discover Bank accounts still works with express web connect. See above. If Discover no longer supports Quicken, the one file should not be able to download new transactions.

• bmchollan
    bmchollan Member ✭✭
    Options

Even though Discover doesn't SUPPORT the Quicken-Discover interface, doesn't mean Discover doesn't provide some interface that Quicken can work with. Now if Discover says we don't support ANY programmatic data exchange, then Quicken (and us) is/are out of luck.

• Bruce Kantor
    Bruce Kantor Member ✭✭
    Options

I seem to remember Quicken stating that they use a 3rd party data data aggregator to get Discover data.

• Rick11
    Rick11 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

For those that are interested:

Intuit sold Quicken in April of 2016 to H.I.G. Capital, a Miami-based private equity firm. Then in September 2021, five and a half years after being acquired by H.I.G, they sold Quicken to Aquiline Capital Partners.

Somewhere along the way, it became more about profit and less about quality. Quicken has been laden with software issue for several years now, (most of time, Quicken Support will not admit they have an issue), and when they do, it takes them months on end at best to resolve it.

I am frustrated and I don't have the time or patience to wait them out while they do basically nothing to resolve their issues and the fact that they do not provide any transparency.

I am asking on this open community forum, does anyone have a decent alternative software that they have tried. If so, please share your experience.

• ArunBaheti
    ArunBaheti Member ✭✭
    Options

I guess that's the issue. I see some reviews, but nothing that seems like it can do the basics — I do track my balance my checking, credit accounts, mortgage, 401k etc. but don't need most of the fancy stuff that Quicken has, frankly. I would require downloads and reconciliation capabilities. But is there anything?

• westelsdon
    westelsdon Member ✭✭
    Options

BTW, when I did this and got reconnected, I found that Quicken had changed the opening balance of my Discover Card account. Took me a bit to figure that out (spelled H-O-U-R-S), but I got there and reset the opening balance to the correct figure (I did not start it at $0.00.) That solved my problem for the moment. One thing I did do was go back to the opening balance entries for all my accounts and added a note in the entry to show what the correct opening entry should be in case this nightmare occurs again in a different account. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! LOL!

• westelsdon
    westelsdon Member ✭✭
    Options

I just determined that a couple of my previous comments had been deleted from this forum, so I'll resurrect a couple of the salient points that I think will inform the ongoing discussion of the relationship between Discover and Quicken.

In an extended conversation with a Discover representative, the individual first stated that there was no relationship between Discover and Quicken, but their comments subtly changed when they said that downloading transactions could be performed by using Web Express Connect. I think that the Discover people have been interpreting the question incorrectly. I think they assume we're asking if Quicken is a part of the Discover business (think financial subsidiary.) Seen in that light, the answer that they give makes sense - Quicken is not owned by Discover or Discover's owner. It was apparent to me by the end of the conversation that Discover and Quicken DO have an agreement about downloading transactions. It was also clear to me that the issue here (some some sort of handshake between databases) is something that only the Quicken people can fix.

• westelsdon
    westelsdon Member ✭✭
    Options

@RB @BereanPK Without rolling back to R49.29, I was able to reconnect to my Discover card and the online method reported by Quicken was "Express Web Connect." After rolling back to R49.29, I was able to reconnect to my Discover Bank account also via the "Express Web Connect" method - at least as reported by Quicken.

Hope this helps.

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

So this whole thing is kinda a mess.

From my understanding the issue that started it all, was in May sometime where automatic downloads (OSU) weren't downloading transactions (but no errors). Apparently Quicken Tech support is NOT aware of this issue (I've spent an hour with them so far). If you deactivate the Discover connection, you won't be able to reactivate (CC-501 errors). However, if you rollback Quicken and then reactivate, you can, apparently (unofficially) get the Credit cards to work, but not banking. Quicken Tech support is also unaware of the CC-501 errors AND the rollback/update issue as well.

So I have NO idea what the Community Alert is for Discover when none of the 3 items above are "known" issues (according to the Tech Support rep I'm working with).

This discussion has been closed.