Quicken sometimes blanks out transaction before I save it

Options
JTGigi
JTGigi Member ✭✭

I have been noticing this more and more. If I enter part of a transaction, and say, go to web to check amount and then come back to the transaction, it is blank. Today I entered all the columns but wanted to add an attachment I screenprinted. When I copied the screenprint and came back to add it, I had to re-enter everything. I am not going elsewhere in Quicken so I don't see why I should lose what I enter.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @JTGigi,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue first start? Which version of Quicken were you using when you first noticed it? Is there any pattern to the behavior (for instance, does it happen only when one specific program is running, or when Quicken has not been the active window for a set amount of time)? Have you restarted your computer since this issue started? Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• JTGigi
    JTGigi Member ✭✭
    Options

Wow, lots of questions!

I am on Windows 11 which I got in Dec2022. I started a new file for 2023 forward. It is under my C drive, my name/documents/Quicken. It is not synced to any cloud service; I backup to a disk drive. This probably started since then. I am currently on Version 51.10, build 27.1.51.10. I have not noticed that one specific other program is running when it happens. I usually have Firefox and Excel running, and possibly Adobe reader. I was entering something today, looking back at my excel file, and it did not happen then. But yesterday it happened looking back at a website on Firefox. I just took a screenprint of an invoice to attach to my transaction, so that only took a few seconds. I don't think I've ever started an entry in Quicken and left it for very long before hitting save. I think my pc automatically reboots periodically, and I find my excel is not active or my files are either not there or sometimes are autosaved then as temp files. So I don't usually turn it off myself.

Thanks!

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Does this issue happen only when you take a screenprint? If not, what other activities seem to trigger this behavior?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• JTGigi
    JTGigi Member ✭✭
    Options

I am not sure, sorry to say. I just tried it and it worked even with a screenprint, so I think I will need to pay more attention to exactly what I do and what I have open to be able to report more specifics to you. When it happens next, I will provide these details.

• JTGigi
    JTGigi Member ✭✭
    Options

This just happened again. I entered all the fields in a transaction in my account, then went to the bank's page in Firefox where I initiated a bill payment. I then clicked on the Snipping Tool, hit 'New", drew a rectangle around the confirmation page info, hit 'copy' on the snipping tool. Then back to Quicken and saw the unsaved entry which still had all the fields populated, clicked on the paper clip to add the attachment, clicked on add from clipboard and it did. I could still see part of the entry (the attachment pop-up covered some of it). But when I hit 'done' on the attachment screen, all the fields changed to blank. I clicked on the paperclip and the attachment was still there, just not the entry data.

The apps that are open on my pc are: Quicken, Snipping Tool, Firefox, Sticky Notes, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat reader.

So yes, again it is screenprint-related….

• JTGigi
    JTGigi Member ✭✭
    Options

PS to above comment…I had already done the bill-pay entry in my bank website before entering the transaction info. So I was only doing the screenprint after entering the info in Quicken.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

With that more thorough description of what is going on, I'm able to see you're running into a known issue. Its not tied to taking a screenshot. It's an issue with attachments sometimes blanking out the rest of the unsaved transaction when they're getting added. The current work around is to save the transaction first, then add the attachment.

This issue has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

Thank you!

(CTP-6983)

Quicken Kristina

• JTGigi
    JTGigi Member ✭✭
    Options

Ok, thank you very much. I certainly hope it gets fixed soon.

This discussion has been closed.