BECU OL-294

Options

Answers

• GermanBlueRam
    GermanBlueRam Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I hadn't noticed this particular item on becu.org before. It notes that Business Online Banking continues to work, which I think another user may have mentioned.

https://www.becu.org/news/online-banking-intuit-connection

Having chatted electronically with a BECU representative already, I am going to also contact BECU management the old fashioned way, via US Mail. Not sure which of the two people below is the best one to contact, but it has now been a month.

BECU
    P.O. Box 97050
    Seattle, WA 98124-9750

https://newsroom.becu.org/Nathan-Ramachandran

https://newsroom.becu.org/Rick-Eiel

• Skyking86
    Skyking86 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I closed and opened and re-entered everything for online set up and I get a mismatch code now and it pops up as BECU Loans, when don't have loans with them! It is really messed up at BECU. It's worse than the last time we had a month long outage. I really don't want to mess with it any further and then spend hours going through the register to figure out how that was corrupted by it.

• Skyking86
    Skyking86 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

And it's very concerning that this is involving a security issue they discovered!

• Vonder
    Vonder Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

Here is my deepest recommendation… Go to this list of know issues and look at the banks that Quicken can not download from. Here is a link to them:

https://community.quicken.com/categories/alerts

And then blame the banks. I had a Quicken tech tell me that they require a minimum of a 90 day warning that the bank is doing anything with their security. That includes patching for vulnerabilities. Thus it is going to happen.

The truly funny/sad part is not that it happens. [Removed - Rant/Speculation]

Now here is the question that I would love for Quicken to answer….. We pay for 12 months of subscription to download from banks. It is broken for 9 of the 12 months… at what point does it not be worth the subscription price anymore?

• Skyking86
    Skyking86 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

And if anyone wants to mention it, it's been 33 days without Quicken talking with BECU. . . as of August 9th.

• RA_RA_RA1
    RA_RA_RA1 Member ✭✭
    Options
  • j.hoskyn
    j.hoskyn Member
    Options

Does anyone know if Empower allows you to monitor/reconcile multiple accounts from multiple banks

(inluding Credit Cards and Mortgage Loans from BECU) the way Quicken does ?

• Skyking86
    Skyking86 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This is all on BECU for not fixing it. 36 days.

• Skyking86
    Skyking86 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hopes were up that maybe the guy in the basement of BECU could figure this out and the scheduled maintenance last night would make it all work. Hopes dashed once again. 38 days without internet connection from BECU.

• ggarland
    ggarland Member ✭✭
    Options

Just started the twitter (X) comments now. I'm done communicating with BECU in relative darkness. Let the sun shine in…

• rdschmid
    rdschmid Member ✭✭
    Options

Is there a link to your Twitter post?

• bmbags
    bmbags Member ✭✭
    Options

@rdschmid search for "becu quicken" on twitter and sort by Latest. You should find the comment pretty easily.

• jimmbo2001
    jimmbo2001 Member ✭✭
    Options

Rec'd from BECU 8-14-2023 after I submitted a Suggestion:

Thank you for reaching out to BECU.

In late June, BECU’s monitoring system began detecting suspicious attempts to access accounts through the OFX (Open Financial Exchange) direct-connect function. As soon as we learned of the issue, we made the decision to turn off the direct-connect function in Online Banking. At this time, we are taking steps to implement the necessary controls to safeguard member accounts and information. We recognize the impact to members who rely on this service, and we are working to restore this function in Online Banking as quickly as possible.

• JP
    JP Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I see this is still going sideways with many users. I will add two more acts that may well get users back to using online services.

1. perform deactivation quoted above and then close Quicken program.
    2. Clean out cookies from default browser. Be free and clear out as much as possible for good house keeping.
    3. Go to windows "Disk Cleanup", check all boxes and hit OK. Do this twice. Open again (3rd time) Disk Cleanup and select the "Clean up stem files", check all boxes. Do this twice. This cleans out many caches that programs use and its just good to do this once a month or two times a month.
    4. Shut down PC, reboot and reboot Quicken and try activating online services.

Good luck. I have been getting BECU online services since 18JUL and I perform #3 above

• ggarland
    ggarland Member ✭✭
    Options

@ rdschmid, sorry, if I'd have known anyone wanted to link to it I would have put more than 20 seconds into writing it. Maybe I'll try again in a little bit and include the relative silence from Quicken as well. Given jimmbo2001's post above, though, it seems BECU is the appropriate entity for enmity at this time. I appreciate their commitment to security, but why only THEM, and why on what seems an annual basis, and why NO communication to customers unless they scream?

• rdschmid
    rdschmid Member ✭✭
    Options

Just did JP's process and got all 7 of my BECU accts updating. One hitch, 3 of my accounts opening balances were off by 10's of thousands of dollars. Relatively easy to fix tho… has happened before with reactivating.

Hope they still work tomorrow!

• GermanBlueRam
    Options

That's interesting - thanks for sharing. Meanwhile, the outage continues for more than a month, although oddly, some users have reported, in this forum, that they are able to download.

• dwhooley
    dwhooley Member ✭✭
    Options

Their reply to me on Twitter:

Hi. Our monitoring system detected suspicious activity through the Open Financial Exchange direct-connect function. For security, we disabled the function and are working as quickly as possible on a solution that allows us to restore the function and protect member accounts.

• jimmbo2001
    jimmbo2001 Member ✭✭
    Options

Just tried JP comments of all the steps

1. perform deactivation quoted above and then close Quicken program.
    2. Clean out cookies from default browser. Be free and clear out as much as possible for good house keeping.
    3. Go to windows "Disk Cleanup", check all boxes and hit OK. Do this twice. Open again (3rd time) Disk Cleanup and select the "Clean up stem files", check all boxes. Do this twice. This cleans out many caches that programs use and its just good to do this once a month or two times a month.
    4. Shut down PC, reboot and reboot Quicken and try activating online services.

No go.

• erockx
    erockx Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

[Removed - No Soliciting]

• rdschmid
    rdschmid Member ✭✭
    Options

7 BECU accts still updating after 3 days. Fingers crossed.

• jimmbo2001
    jimmbo2001 Member ✭✭
    Options

Not working for me still.

• GermanBlueRam
    Options

My weekly attempt. Fail…

• Javaman310
    Javaman310 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

There is an official issue tracker thread here:

In my experience, the "Quicken Connect" connection type works. It allows you to sync transactions and balances. However, it does not allow executing transactions like transfers or billpay. Those transactions require "Direct Connect"- and that is what is broken. BECU shut it down because of a detected security vulnerability. So while this is frustrating, I guess I appreciate that they have blocked hackers from draining my account balances until they find a suitable fix.

• rdschmid
    rdschmid Member ✭✭
    Options

All my BECU accts are now connected via "Express Web Connect" and are working.

• GermanBlueRam
    Options

I would love for EWC to be working for me. But it isn't.

• mastermarine
    mastermarine Member ✭✭
    Options

So disappointed this is happening again. And has already been broken for more than 1 month. I tried following the directions to change my connection type to EWC but it is not working for me. I would appreciate a quick resolution to this issue. Manual transaction downloads have only ended up in disaster for me before with multiple duplicate transactions to identify and delete. Not an option.

• L&J
    L&J Member ✭✭
    Options

Quicken was working for me, for a bit, and now it is broken again… stopped working on the 16th… Had started working again the first time around the 1st. Not sure how long it will take to come back up again. Not getting any type of error this time but transactions are not being updated and/or cleared to match.

• Mike F.
    Mike F. Member ✭✭
    Options

I spoke with a BECU representative earlier this week and pressed for details on the issue. She told me that BECU noticed some suspicious activity on the OFX server so they shut it down. "OFX" is the Open Financial Exchange data-stream format used to transmit transaction information. While it seems plausible, and I'm glad they shut it down after noticing suspicious activity (as opposed to getting confirmation of a breach!), I don't understand why it's working for some and not others.

I've tried "Reset Account" (it's harmless, done it lots of times over the years), and "Deactivate". My accounts are currently deactivated and I've tried reconnecting numerous times, both using Advanced | Express Web Connect (what I've always used) and Advanced | Direct Connect. There was a glimmer of hope a couple of weeks ago when I was prompted to enter a two-factor code, but never received it.

In the mean time, I just logon to BECU every day and make sure my Quicken transactions are up to date. If you sort your Quicken register by Cleared, the uncleared transactions drop to the bottom. Then you just look up to last cleared transaction and for that last cleared transaction should match BECU's balance for the account.

• frimer4
    frimer4 Member ✭✭
    Options

I wonder if raising this to local media outlets (KING, KIRO, etc) and to Washington State officials might help put some pressure on BECU to actually care about this and do something. The length of this outage is simply unacceptable.

This discussion has been closed.