This discussion was created from comments split from:

One Step Update Crashing

Tagged:

Comments

• Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited August 2023
    Options

I have been experiencing Quicken Crashing for a long time. Today I decided to create a copy(template) of my data file, and connect all of my accounts. I worked on Quicken for 4 hours without a problem. ALL accounts connected properly. I the did a Backup in case… I quit out of quicken, started it up again and started OSU on all of my accounts. It immediately crashed. I am so tired of this I am at my wits end. I have sent at least 50 bugsplat reports this past month, and I have contacted support. I was told by support that they are currently working with customers who can't even get Quicken to start without crashing, so since I had quicken running at the time when they called me back(scheduled callback) they said they couldn't help me until they helped customers who couldn't even start it. The windows event crash reason was:

Application: qw.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException
    at ._WinMainCRTStartup()

I have run SFC and DISM on numerous occasions and they never find any problems. I have also run the .Net repair tool to no avail.

I had been running R50.15 but figured I would try current release. R50.15 was not giving me as many crashes but enough to cause pain.

It is almost always a .net framework error. I am asking anybody who has technical knowledge/experience with .net to help. I don't understand how I can work on Quicken for 4 hours without a hiccup but as soon as I start OSU it crashes. It's not always OSU that causes the crash but today it was.

QHB&RP R51.12

Windows 11 PRO current

[Edited - Readability]

Quicken Business and Personal-R55.26. Windows 11 PRO current on updates

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Greg Brown,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue first start? Which version of Quicken were you using when it started? Did you have the ticket number from when you talked with Quicken Support? If you haven't already done so, I would recommend following the steps in this article on when Quicken won't open or crashes.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• u000top2
    u000top2 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

I am also having the same problems with crashing. It happens during or the first click after updating. You're lucky you are the only game in town or I would have switched. [Removed - Rant] It was more reliable 2 years ago.

• Greg Brown
    Options

I have been having these crashing issues for quite sometime…years. I know I have tried using Online Billing, off and on for many years, but always ran into issues, crashing issues as best as I can remember. Now that banks no longer use Direct Connect and I am forced to use online billers/quick pay I believe that might be the root cause. Not sure though. I remember in the past when I added online billers, if I had issues, I always deleted them ALL. I have had these crashing issues now on desktop computers with Windows 10 and AMD processors, Laptop with windows 10 and AMD processor, and Now a desktop with Windows 11 and Intel processor. I think we can safely assume it is a QUICKEN issue…😒 I believe the ticket I had on this issue was {"Ticket ID":"10375817"} but can't be sure… The Call Back was on 7/27/23 I believe. It was quite brief…

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am not experiencing any "crashing" issues…never have. Windows 11, R51.12. Have you tried logging off of your Quicken account and logging back in? Have you tried creating a new data file and running OSU to see if you can duplicate the crashes with a virgin file? Have you tried completely uninstalling Quicken? Don't forget to manually delete the Quicken folder and then reboot the computer. If you're technically inclined, delete any Quicken registry keys and then install the latest mondo patch.

• Greg Brown
    edited August 2023
    Options

Yes I have done all of the above!!! [Edited - Readability]

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

When I review the ticket, it looks like they were having trouble helping you because of an inability to replicate the issue on the call. Is the crashing random, or are there certain actions that reliably trigger it? Have you been able to capture a screenshot of the bugsplat that comes up when Quicken crashes?

The ticket mentioned that this issue started around the time that you increased the memory on your new computer. Is that correct? Do you sync your Quicken file to any cloud service or backup service? Are there any programs you have used on all the computers where you're having this crashing problem? Have you tried creating a new admin profile on your computer and testing to see if your Quicken crashes there (that would test if there is a program or process on your main profile that may be causing the issue)?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Greg Brown
    edited August 2023
    Options

The problem is VERY random. I have had three this morning; 1.) Starting OSU 2.) selecting an account register to view. 3.) Selecting the bills/income tab. Here is the Bugsplat screen for the last one…

No the problem did NOT start when I added memory. I just added memory to see if it would help because some of the .Net error indicated OutOfMemory. I had 16GB of RAM and increased to 32GB. Still getting OutOfMemory .Net errors. The most recent crash recorde no >net error or Windows event, just a Bugsplat event: A crash report from application 27.0 has been successfully logged to www.BugSplat.com as quicken_2019-1620708.

I have my Quicken file on my local drive, not OneDrive or any other syncing service. I understand you asking these questions but I don't understand why TECH SUPPORT can't review the BugSplat output. I have provided probably 50 of them between last month and this month. I am paying the subscription service to be able to use the program and receive support for problems. I am NOT receiving support for this problem, even though I have reported it, AND called on numerous occasions. The ONLY program that ever crashes on my various computers is QUICKEN…

[Edited - Obscured Personal Information]

• Greg Brown
    edited August 2023
    Options

Just so you understand my frustration… This is a list of Windows events (QW.EXE Crashes) this month… BTW ALL of the .Net crashes were QW.EXE errors, NO OTHER APPLICATION…

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited August 2023
    Options

Thank you for your replies,

If you haven't done so already, I recommend that you try creating a new user profile with admin privileges one of your computers and testing to see if your Quicken crashes in that new profile (that would test if there is a program or process on your main profile that may be causing the issue).

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Greg Brown
    Options

thanks, but you must’ve missed my comment about having four different computers two different processors, AMD and Intel. and two different versions of windows, and all of them having the same issue with Quicken crashing.

• Greg Brown
    Options

I gave your suggestion some more thought this morning. I started Quicken and ran OSU, it immediately crashed. After screaming, I said what the heck I'm going to try the new user. I setup a new user with admin privileges, installed Quicken and ran OSU. No crash…😊I will keep running Quicken on this new user until 1.) It crashes or 2.) it works for several days. Now my problem is going to be I have to switch to the new user every time I want to use Quicken, which is constantly. BUT at this point I will try anything… Thanks. I will keep you posted.

• Creek
    Creek Member ✭✭
    Options

I am also seeing Quicken for Windows crash every single time I run One Step Update, starting within the last couple of weeks. I've repaired my data file, reinstalled Quicken — no difference. Frustrating to say the least.

• Greg Brown
    edited August 2023
    Options

I have a case open with support for these crashes: 10406415. I am posting this info because I have determined the cause of my issue that has plagued me for years. This is a copy of a message I sent to the creator(s) of Windows Desktop Gadgets. I post this in hopes of informing any users who might be experiencing the crashing issues I have had for several years. Hope it helps:

First let me say I LOVE your gadgets, and that's why this is very disturbing to me. I have been using them since at least windows 10, and recently windows 11. I have always been plagued by a huge problem with Quicken for Windows crashing, usually for .net errors and usually outofmemory issue. I now know it is an issue caused by use of Gadgets. It was to the point that I could barely use Quicken and was sending several error reports daily to Quicken Support. Of course, there was NO support from them. I experienced this Quicken problem with a windows 10, AMD self-built desktop, AMD Toshiba Laptop, AMD Mini computer, and now, Intel DELL desktop running windows 11. I was thinking about what all of them had in common, and unfortunately stumbled across this issue. I uninstalled Gadgets from my Dell, and the issue went away. I re-installed Gadgets and the issue returned. And mind you this was not an occasional issue, it was incessant. I uninstalled Gadgets last week, and have not had an issue with Quicken crashing since. I beg you to reach out to me if you would like to investigate this issue, and I would be happy to provide any data that I can.
    Thanks very much,
    Greg Brown

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Greg Brown great job finding the root cause of your crashing issue!

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Greg Brown
    Options

• mjxm
    mjxm Member ✭✭✭
    Options

What are "Gadgets"?

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options