Feature Request: Ability to organize reports in folders (7 merged votes)

Options
2»

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Devyn Once any Idea thread is marked as "Planned", it automatically closes voting. (There's no need to continue to vote for something the developers have already put on their development roadmap.) You can still add comments to the thread, though, if you have thoughts about particular details you'd like to see implemented, as the developers may review the comments during their planning for the feature.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • tcolyer
    tcolyer Member ✭✭
    Options

Please give us the same report organizational tools as are available in your Quicken for Windows product. Theirs is a very well thought out toolbox. Thx.

• jantiki
    jantiki Member
    Options

Any updates? adding a comments because I can't vote and this has been needed for a LONG time. Please!!!! Quicken user for over 20 years!!

• jacobs
    Options

@jantiki There are never any updates until it suddenly appears in an update. They just changed the status to “Planned” in August, so that was the only update we’ll get that they’re either working on it or have a block of time reserved for it on their calendar.

• Shelster
    Shelster Member ✭✭
    edited April 28
    Options

Supposedly, one can accomplish their basic bookkeeping needs regardless of their operating system or access method. Requests for BASIC FUNCTIONALITY should transcend operating systems and access methods. I wish there were a way to suggest generic features for the Quicken product without having to first decide how one accesses said product.

@Gaylen said "I would like to suggest that Reports be structured to allow reports to be placed in Folders such as Cruises, Taxes, Utilities, specific years. I have over 50 reports that I would like to be able to organize for easier storage and access."

Is his requested ability/feature available in any Quicken implementation?

A reply suggested that exporting to PDF for "actual reports where a date range, etc has been selected" is the right approach, which is patently absurd. "Tax-related transactions for Last Year" is a template. "Tax-related transactions for 2023" will, eventually, be a pdf-worthy report on the day that the taxes are filed (though I'd do csv for diffability). Regardless, I would like to have a folder for "Tax Stuff" that includes various year-restricted reports that would actually update should I find the need to change various codings. And I would like to have this folder available if I decide at some point to use the web-only product.

This comment was triggered by, but extends well beyond, the scope of this current thread. https://community.quicken.com/profile/jacobs I'm surprised that your user id is not auto-linking here, so I've (probably abortively) brute-forced it. I recognize that the specific suggestion has been accepted. I'm also feeling empathy for @Gaylen, who received a barrage of questions that should have been seen as irrelevant to said request.

• jacobs
    Options

@Shelster said: Supposedly, one can accomplish their basic bookkeeping needs regardless of their operating system or access method. Requests for BASIC FUNCTIONALITY should transcend operating systems and access methods. I wish there were a way to suggest generic features for the Quicken product without having to first decide how one accesses said product.

Hang on just a second… Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows are two different programs. They are close cousins but not identical twins. There are differences in what features currently exist in each program; they are built in very different databases and platforms. And there are different development teams who work on each program. So that's why it's necessary to ascertain which program, Quicken Mac or Quicken Windows, any users are asking questions about, or making suggestions for. You might wish that these programs were the same, but they aren't.

Next, what one user describes as "basic functionality" is what another user might describe as something they don't need/care about/use. If we surveyed 1,000 Quicken Mac users to identify the number one feature they want/need, I believe we'd get at least 50, maybe more, different features.

In this case specifically, there are some users who generate dozens and dozens of reports, and some who create new versions of their reports for each calendar year, and who therefore would very much want a folder-based storage organization for reports. And there are some users who just create reports ad hoc from the default reports, and have no or few saved reports. And a lot of user who fall between those two extremes, with those who might have have 10-20 reports not caring if there is folder-based organization and those who have 30-40 reports very much wanting folder-based organization. So this is certainly a valid feature request, but terming it "basic functionality" is incorrect because it's actually not something everyone needs and wants.

As you have seen, the Quicken Mac development team has reviewed this request and marking it as "Planned". That means they not only agree, but that they have studied what will be involved in building the feature and have assigned is a specific times slot on their development schedule. In short… it's coming, but we don't yet know what it will look like or when it will arrive.

So since that's what we know and don't know about this feature, I'm not sure I understand the impetus behind your post in this thread today. You and others would like to be able to organize your reports, and the developer have a plan to create such a feature.

And I would like to have this folder available if I decide at some point to use the web-only product.

That's not likely to happen. The only web-only product is Quicken Simplifi. At this time, there is no way to transfer any data from Quicken Classic to Simplifi; they're first cousins once-removed… or is that second cousins?… I always get that mixed up. 😂 Now, it may be in the company's long-term plans to one day offer a data migration path from Quicken Classic to Simplifi, but to my knowledge, the company has never made any such promises or statements of direction. I certainly would not plan on that eventuality. And even if they do build a conversion tool, I'd expect that it would move transaction data, but not saved reports. Reports in Quicken Mac are closely tied to the exact SQL database in Quicken Mac and to tools in the Mac operating system, so it's unlikely they would be able to transfer Quicken Mac Reports to Simplifi. (There are conversion tools which let users move data from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac and vice versa, neither of those conversions moves saved reports, because the reports architecture in the two programs is so different.)

I'm surprised that your user id is not auto-linking here

It looks like you're doing it wrong, because none of your @ names are showing up as links. The platform this forum runs on (commercial software from a company called Vanilla Forums) has a number of peculiarities with the way @ mentions are created. In normal typing, type the "@" and start typing the name, and you will see a pop-up list of potential matches. Here's the key: you must select one of the matches, even if you've types enough letters that there is only one name showing, and you do that either with a mouse click or by pressing tab. If you mess up the typing and delete the @name you've types, you may find you have to back up further, or start and back up more than once, before it will begin popping up a list of potential matches again. Getting an @name into a quotes block of text, as I did with your name at the top of this post, requires a graduate degree in using Vanilla which I won't attempt to teach today! 🤣

• Shelster
    Shelster Member ✭✭
    Options

@jacobs I've referenced you many times in other threads this way. For whatever reason, it wasn't working yesterday for either you, or @Gaylen and yet it is today, and was before then.

With respect to "basic functionality," I was referring to high level core features, like reconciling accounts, importing banking data, and exporting txf files. I would hope that the siblings, half-siblings, step-siblings, cousins, etc might share a core set of functionality. At some level, this must exist. Otherwise, it would be impossible to collapse the desktop app OS variable on https://www.quicken.com/product-selector/nst .

Oddly, that page shows that Schedules C and E are only available on Windows, and yet I've been using one or both on Mac since the late 1990's. Did I just get lucky that it still works?

• jacobs
    Options

@Shelster said: I would hope that the siblings, half-siblings, step-siblings, cousins, etc might share a core set of functionality.

And indeed they do, in many, many areas of the program. But they don't in every area. As for what should be considered "basic functionality," well we could probably debate that for days! 😂 I would say being able to compose a report by category or account or payee is "basic functionality", but the organization of saved custom reports is not. I would say being able to print a budget-versus-actual report is "basic functionality", but whoops, the developers still have that on the "Planned" list for Quicken Mac. So yes, "at some level", there is commonality, which is what enables Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows users to both use the same Quicken Mobile App. But around the edges, there are lots of differences, some of which will disappear over time and some of which will probably never converge.

The product comparison web page you linked to is an old page which I don't believe you can currently get to from anywhere on the Quicken.com website. It is not maintained and out of date. (Note that it shows Business & Personal as "Home & Business" and that's it's Windows-only.) The last time I checked that page in detail, there were at least half a dozen errors — one of which was that Schedule C and E existed for Quicken Mac Deluxe and Premier — which I took time to document and ask the moderators to pass on to the proper channels. Twice. The marketing team responsible for the page ignored the feedback and never fixed any of the errors.

On the current iteration of product pages — which you get to from selecting Plans & Pricing > Compare Plans — you can scroll down get a similar list of features. Oddly, it allows you to compare Deluxe or Premier to Simplify, but not Deluxe or Premier or Business & Personal to each other as many people wish to do. It, too, seems to have many inaccuracies. And both some of the wording and what is/isn't included seems clearly, and strangely, biased in favor of Simplifi. As for Schedule C, I think the marketing wizards at Quicken see that as a business feature, and since the comparison page doesn't include the business-level product, well, Schedule C isn't listed, period.