How to setup a credit card within Quicken (edit)

Options

Now I'm ready to download other accounts (after bank and American Express went well).

Now I wish to download transactions for a Visa card that is "sponsored" by the same bank. When the first transaction is set up, do I use the bank account number or do I use the credit card number? I guess I also need to ask whether I use the bank or VISA as the "host"?

Best Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

you use the CC number on the card -
    and is the card from a bank, credit union, or is it a "branded" card ?

ie - I have credit cards from - Capital One, & Mileage Plus / Chase -
    each created using those names for the Quicken Account setup.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

I get the impression that what we are trying to do can't be done.
    I'll call MAX support and see what they can offer.

yes… you should contact MAX and see what they say -
    the Quicken internal info shows CREDIT is supported,
    but it appears - not with the normal URL for the CU…. so something has to be changed somewhere -

BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

you use the CC number on the card -
    and is the card from a bank, credit union, or is it a "branded" card ?

ie - I have credit cards from - Capital One, & Mileage Plus / Chase -
    each created using those names for the Quicken Account setup.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Eric Johnson
    Options

Thanks. I wasn't certain which to use and didn't want to get wrapped around the axle.

Eric

• Eric Johnson
    Options

Ooops. I didn't understand your complete answer. The card is issued by VISA and is branded, I guess you'd say, by MAX Federal Credit Union. So, what do I enter in the opening screen? Just "MAX" works for the bank itself but only for the checking and savings accounts The VISA account isn't there. How do I then get to VISA?

When I started I get the screen that asks for the institution (I don't understand why the names are not alphabetized). However, entering VISA gives a list of various VISA cards but mine is not one of the listed cards.

I think I've asked the question better now.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

what card - or issuing bank ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Eric Johnson
    Options

The card is a VISA card issued by the Maxwell Federal Credit Union.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you actually running QMac … because I can't find an entry for Maxwell in FIDIR, that logs all of the financial that QWIN uses.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

will look around for more info - should work with Quicken One Step Update - here is the Qwin info -

Is this the entry you are using to setup your MAX accounts ?

54498 54498 54498 MAX Credit Union
    https://www.mymax.com/ 334-260-2600
    https://ob2.mymax.com/maxcredituniononline/uux.aspx#/login ACTIVE
    BANKING&WEB-CONNECT

https://www.mymax.com/borrow/personal/credit-cards

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

you should just be able to perform the Quicken Add Account, enter your MAX online User ID and Password - and Quicken should access and setup ALL of your MAX accounts … unless you have different IDs for MAX banking vs your MAX CC.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Eric Johnson
    Options

Just tried that. I'm offered to get the share account and checking account records but that is all.

When I use the human interface to get the credit card transactions, from a menu I select "Transactions" and then from a sub-menu I select "Credit card". That changes the screen to an interface with the credit card "office" and then I can select a whole set of options as though that screen is the first I've asked for. IOW, Max seems to have jumped to a different site. In the page tab at the top it reads "DX Online" and the URL shows I've left "MAX". That seems to be the issue. When I issue the command (human), MAX seems to pass my info to another site which is the credit card site.

I get the impression that what we are trying to do can't be done. I'll call MAX support and see what they can offer.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

what is the URL domain of the credit card website when you logon manually ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Eric Johnson
    Options

https://dxonline-apps-sl-cloud.pscu.com/wps/dxonline/#/account-summary

Max appears to send that to my browser (I think) and suddenly I leave MAX and pop out at the credit card site.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

interesting …. lots of other CUs have the PSCU.COM domain URL entry for handling their CC transactions,
    but don't really see anything that directly relates to the MAX CU -

https://www.pscu.com/about

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Eric Johnson
    Options

I found a link that causes the site to download the transactions to an Excel file. Unfortunately the only file format available is CSV and Quicken import doesn't seem to support that. Correct?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

I get the impression that what we are trying to do can't be done.
    I'll call MAX support and see what they can offer.

yes… you should contact MAX and see what they say -
    the Quicken internal info shows CREDIT is supported,
    but it appears - not with the normal URL for the CU…. so something has to be changed somewhere -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

maybe you can transform your downloaded CSV file into something Quicken can Import…
    ,,, @Chris_QPW ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

I always cringe when anyone says they have a "branded card". Why?

Because this is what is going on usually. The "branded" guy pays (actually it is more like they get a cut of the profits come to think of it, they don't pay anything) to have a credit card with their name on it and basically has no other connection to that card. All the real support of it happens "elsewhere".

The next part of this is that neither MasterCard nor Visa actually directly support any of these cards. Instead, some financial institution picks up the actual support of the account. In a lot of cases, the user never knows who that is.

That of course causes problems on exactly what "financial institution" to use, that is provided there were any steps taken to get it supported in the first place.

As for converting your CSV file to something that Quicken can import, see my website for the free program ImportQIF. Note that beside QIF it can also convert a CSV file to QFX which will work better with Quicken Subscription than a QIF file will. Setup the account, then the column mapping and then the QFX option.

https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Eric Johnson
    Options

Ps56k2 - I called and got the idiot treatment. The rep didn't understand that MAX supports the download of checking and shares account transactions but washes their hands of the card transactions. Afterall, they do provide an Excel file. When I told that isn't the concept for the chenking and shares, she went back and started over with the same nonsense.

It's really a shame since I've had the checking and shares accounts for almost 50 years and the customer rep just didn't care.

• Eric Johnson
    Options

Chris_QPW Such a little window for all that is in it.<g> I'm just starting the documentation so F1 is my friend. There's a lot there at first glance and considering the upset I had over the past couple days, I'm going slowly, very slowly.

I was about to give up and resort to having two windows open . . .1 Quicken and 1 Excel and then trying to cut and paste back and forth. Then I realized that this would probably take as long as just copying the statement into Quicken.

So far, so good. Thanks and I'll be in touch with a report.

Eric.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

MAX supports the download of checking and shares account transactions

what is a "shares account" ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Eric Johnson
    Options

As a credit union they call a savings account a shares account. Something to do with the legalese of the difference between credit unions and banks. There's no difference in so far as Quicken transactions.

• Eric Johnson
    Options

I've done the mapping and I felt I was ready to proceed. I ran ImportQIF against the file from the credit union. I used "-Amount" for the charges. I presume that payments to the card will have to be done manually.

Still trying to figure out all the Options and File Options.

Thanks again.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This probably should be discussed offline; you can contract me through the contact forum on my website.

But just so that this isn't left dangling.

Quicken/QIF/QFX all expect charges to be negative amounts, so if they are showing up in the CSV file as positive amounts, they will have to be reversed. But watch out. -Amount reverses the sign of the amount, if they have both charges and payments as positive numbers, then reversing the charge amounts will also reverse the payments amounts. For that case instead you there should be another column like "Transaction type" (say with Charge/Deposit in it), that can be set to "Type" in the column mapping and ImportQIF will prompt you to say if "Charge" is means the amount is positive or negative.

As for the payments to the credit card go, this is where the changes to the QIF import in Quicken Subscription really matter, and where using the QFX format might be the better choice.

When you have a payment the proper way to record it is a transfer from your checking account to the credit card account. With QFX you can match a download amount to this transfer. But with Quicken Subscription's QIF import the downloaded payment will go directly into the register and will not give you a chance to match it to a transfer.

If one is using Quicken Subscription, my recommendation is to use QFX as the output format, because then you can just use all of Quicken's normal features to handle the importing.

If one is using a version before Quicken Subscription, or with an expired subscription, one can't do a QFX import, so you would be stuck with QIF. Before Quicken Subscription the importing of a QIF file can use all Quicken's import features with the exception of renaming rules.

Note that one of the big differences between QIF and QFX is that QIF files/transactions can have categories in them, whereas QFX files can't. Nothing can get around the fact that you can't match existing transactions in Quicken to downloaded one with Quicken Subscription's QIF import, but if the category is already in the QIF transaction it will just go right into Quicken that way. And a transfer has the syntax of a category of [Other Account].

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.