BECU OL-294

Options

Answers

• GermanBlueRam
    GermanBlueRam Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Years ago, there was no Direct Connect functionality offered at all for my BECU Visa card, even though I had been downloading checking and savings transactions for a long time. When I asked about it (again, a long time ago), a BECU representative told me that it was a cost-benefit matter and that relatively few users wanted this. A year or two later, Quicken downloads became available for my Visa card, but I suspect that Quicken, Quickbooks, and Mint users in general are still a microscopic portion of BECU's non-business customer base.

• Skyking86
    Skyking86 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

The count is up to 47 days without a fix. No other bank seems to have a QFX issue and they seem to be working. It's on BECU. I'm just using the mobile app and updating manually, but my checking is now off by 2.62 and all the amounts are correct. Get Jesse on this! This the second time they have had an extended outage in the summer. 47 days is unacceptable by ANY imagination. The lead story line: "What would you think of a financial institution that wouldn't let customers update online with Quicken for 47 days without telling them what the problem was?"

• Skyking86
    Skyking86 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

BTW, the start and stop of the BECU software had the same pattern last time too. The program would work for some for a few hours and then stop updating. And then another extended period of not working with Quicken. It's like the one BECU IT guy in the basement that they have working on this said "Hey, what the heck, I'll try this. . ." and it didn't work, so he pulled it off line and went back to sipping his Coke and eating a peanut butter sandwich while watching the Mariners game.

• GermanBlueRam
    Options

Consider sending a message (by snail mail - I don't have an email address) to N. Ramachandran.

https://www.becu.org/about-us/governance#executive

• Skyking86
    Skyking86 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

50 days. . . I posted a comment about this unacceptable situation on a BECU PCC ad that showed up in the Facebook feed and they commented that there was a security issue used with the QFX. I replied that 40 days to fix it was too long (actually 49 at the post date, I forgot that I had updated manually via the phone app) and asked why they didn't have an estimated date for the fix. The ad disappeared. If a BECU ad pops up on your Facebook feed, I would suggest you ask about the issue in the comment. Apparently that got noticed. Which was more than we have from other sources. 50 days with no end in site. How long would a company that cares about this take to fix a problem?

• Floydo
    Floydo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

FWIW I was talking to a BECU customer service rep regarding a non quicken related issue, but asked after we worked thru the issue if he knew of the quicken issue. He said yes, it has been going on for over a month, then he checked his email to see if there was any recent update. The email was from last week and indicated becu had turned off their quicken connection because of a concern with quicken handling/transfer of the becu customer data "not being secure". He read from the email. So their internal communication indicated the problem is with quicken and they need to show becu the data transfer will be secure. Sounds like maybe finger pointing, but they state the ball is in quickens court….

This sounds similar to Mike F and Germanblueram posts on the previous comment page. So no amount of your fiddling with quicken would solve this issue…..

Beyond that he had no info on when this would be solved…….

• Skyking86
    Skyking86 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm guessing that is what they sent out to employees to get the issue away from their own house. Nothing to see on our end, it's all on Quicken. If that is the case, then every bank and credit union would have the same issue, right? I would hope that they would grant the customer a certain degree of knowledge, afterall we are in the Microsoft/Amazon cultural home and have a higher degree of computer knowledge, and explain exactly what the "secure" concern is. And why they haven't figured out a solution to it. And why other banks and credit unions don't have the same problem.

• JP
    JP Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I am sorry for those still not able to connect. Since several folks have been able to gain connection I believe its a matter of the settings on individual computers. I will make one last suggestion.

a) Perform all of the activities quoted above. It takes time but you must ensure all steps are taken.

b) ensure the express web connection is the method of connecting**. After all, several have mentioned using this method are successful, in addition it is BECU that iterates the direct connection has been disabled. So, doing the clean up will start from fresh settings on your pc.

**when adding the account after ALL cleanup above, on the adding financial institution menu select "Advanced Options" , then select the "Express Web Connect" option. Hit next and add your credentials.

Good luck!

• GermanBlueRam
    edited August 2023
    Options

I don’t agree that it is a matter of settings on individual computers. BECU says the functionality is broken, and for most people it is.

• rdschmid
    rdschmid Member ✭✭
    Options

Evidence seem to say, and JP noted, Direct Connect is turned off, and Express Web Connect works for some, (self included.)

What else would explain why Express Web Connect only works for some? BECU isn't doing me any special favors as far as I know… they never have before. Strange situation.

• Dalemin
    Dalemin Member
    Options

This latest problem with BECU is causing a lot of manual work for my family and me. And potentially it will cause some financial errors. BECU's website says they are working on it with no ETA. The problem is that Quicken Direct Connect is not working for non-business accounts like mine — but it IS working for business accounts. So how is that possible? It must give a clue to a solution.

Quicken has sent me no notices or progress reports. BECU, when I called them today (8/28/23) said they have no ETA or info on a fix. I asked them if there is any other home accounting software that IS working with on. They could give an answer.

However, I Googled best Quicken alternatives for 2023 and could see there are a number of alternatives. Since BECU is my main home finance hub (checking, multiple savings accounts, credit card, credit lines / HELOC, automatic deposits and payments, manual bill pay, etc.) I have to have software that will talk to BECU. The workaround of manually downloading BECU transactions is not a good fit for my needs.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with frustrations on this. So I respectfully ask that both Quicken and BECU make resolution a priority. We customers are, after all, paying both institutions for services.

(I use subscription for Mac Quicken and am on version 7.2.2.)

• Dalemin
    Dalemin Member
    Options

In my comment, I meant to type BECU could NOT give an answer on alternative home accounting software.

• GermanBlueRam
    Options

BECU’s outage message does refer to Direct Connect. My clearing of cookies, etc., ended up wasting even more time because of the need to authenticate and “re-trust” my computer for a large number of websites, particularly financial ones. If EWC is really a path for all, I wish BECU or Quicken would talk about it. I do appreciate the efforts to help by JP and others but I think I am done (for now) with fiddling with my computer.

• Kipperdog
    Kipperdog Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for sharing your solution. Sadly, it did not work for me, but I appreciate you trying!

• rdschmid
    rdschmid Member ✭✭
    Options

Haven't heard from Quicken in ages. What is Quicken doing about this Quicken Anja ?

• jimmbo2001
    jimmbo2001 Member ✭✭
    Options

BECU blames Quicken, Quicken blames BECU. All we want is the thing fixed!

• rlrwa
    rlrwa Member ✭✭✭
    Options

How many days is it now? 50+?

If Direct Connect is a security risk hen why do they even offer it as a way to connect? There needs to be a better option.

I'm wondering why all of a sudden this OFX reason has become the reason for the issue? What took them so long to admit this?

I know I'll be pressing BECU to pay for loss of services. Since they know they have us over a barrel - most of us won't leave due to the time required to set up new accounts elsewhere. Who regulates credit unions anyway? We should be complaining to them too.

• RA_RA_RA1
    RA_RA_RA1 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Certainly not looking into getting any credit for PAYING Subscribers. No matters who's fault, if you are selling / providing a service that " doesn't work " one would assume in the real-world, effort would be made to help those with an outage this long. [Removed - Rant]

• keen.book0945
    keen.book0945 Member ✭✭
    Options

After 11 years of headaches frustration with Quicken, I am giving up. Cancelled my subscription today.

• dwhooley
    dwhooley Member ✭✭
    Options

Updated Aug. 29, 2023 — The Online Banking function that enables a direct connection between your account and Quicken, QuickBooks, and Mint personal finance and accounting services is currently unavailable. Our teams are working to resolve the issue. We have not determined when the service will be restored.

• RA_RA_RA1
    RA_RA_RA1 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

For those of you in the back………………

[Removed - Solicitation]

• rdschmid
    rdschmid Member ✭✭
    Options

Is there a Quicken Moderator following this thread any longer?

• keen.book0945
    Options

Yes. They removed the list of alternative products that was shared in the above post. Other services seems to be able to connect to BECU.

• Skyking86
    Skyking86 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

58 days as of September 3rd. . . still no light at the end of the tunnel. This happened in the past, same sort of problem and long delay in fixing it. There is a solution, but BECU doesn't seem to be very aggressive in doing anything. Quicken works fine with other banks.

• Nicolas T
    Options

I tried the steps people listed above but Express Web Connect refuses to find my accounts. It appears the only way I can update BECU is manually importing.

It is very sad that this is happening again with BECU. Capital One and Chase are giving me now issues at all. Either those banks are less secure or BECU is doing something wrong.

• JLP1976
    JLP1976 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This has gone on for so long, that I have forgotten all of the actions I have taken. Suffice to say, my current status is both Checking and Savings accounts are deactivated. I have tried to set up online services with Express Web Connect and get the same try again message. I looked on BECU support page and found that EWC is available for Business accounts, but no info for Individual accounts. I was wondering if BECU turned that off EWC too. So, I restored a data file from June. Lo and behold, I was able to change the connection method from Direct Connect to Express Web Connect and update my accounts. So it must still exist. Why, then, are we not able to set-up EWC from scratch?

• rdschmid
    rdschmid Member ✭✭
    Options

Figured it was inevitable… my once working Express Web Connect accts not longer work.

The concerning part is I get a message that all of my 7 accts were successfully updated when 3 accts clearly weren't, the transactions never showed up in the update.

Back to manual updates. Anybody else have this happening to them?

• Robert Sheran
    Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Well, as for me this is the second time in less than a year, that we have a protracted (months, not days or hours) loss of connectivity between BECU and Quicken . I have tried all the typical user controls/settings to reset connection over time and know if my efforts appear successful the success is short lived. This is classic IT game, where both business parties settle on the easy position of blaming/flaming the other. BECU download procedure is archaic at best and simply unacceptable solution.

Here is my conclusion. The problem, in my opinion, is not technical programing issue, or hard to solve, since all other banking institutions that I connect with (5 different banks) on a daily basis for transaction updates (direct connect or Web) work flawlessly, are persistantly stable, and those banks are not shutting down their connection based on some "network security issue". The problem is more likely a business contract conflict over ($) that is not being resolved. So, customers are simply pons in a bigger game of business chicken between BECU and Quicken. I have contacted BECU support to file complaint and get the typical IT elevator music suggesting the issue is Quicken's to solve but I don't buy it.

• Scott Nelson
    Options

You are right. Quicken works for all other banks. Someone at BECU is hanging it up for some unknown reason.

• random49y#z-
    Options

Extremely frustrating how long this has been going on and with very little info being provided. I'm seriously considering leaving BECU after having been a member for over 11 years.

This discussion has been closed.