Why do my budget numbers keep changing automatically?

Options
2»

Answers

• herbb623
    herbb623 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

How about a switch or option checklist under Sync? Which categories do you want to sync with the cloud?

Banking Y/N, Investing Y/N, Property & Debt Y/N, Budgets Y/N .

Ability to turn each of these on or off. Then users could be in control of what they see on the web or mobile app. And if problems arise with a certain category, that could be turned off until resolved.

Just a thought.

• Tribeca79
    Tribeca79 Member ✭✭
    Options

I have the same issue

• This is so embarrassing for Quicken. They are unable to support personal budgets for their customers. This is such a basic feature that they cannot complete.

I don't understand why the Quicken management team cannot get this done. It truly makes me question the reliability of all their products.

I am going to start double checking the results of Turbo Tax against their competitors. smh.

• herbb623
    herbb623 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This budget issue has been going on since Feb 2023, if not earlier. Budgeting used to work correctly!! I should not have to choose between an accurate budget or being able to see my data on web and in mobile. Both are desirable but not doable at his point in time. Please fix or at least turn off whatever quicken cloud is doing to change my desktop budgets.

• JimHOptim
    JimHOptim Member ✭✭
    Options

Same issue here. The budget is one of the most flexible tools within Quicken Desktop, compared to many other personal finance software options. Come on Quicken Team, get this fixed!!

• JimHOptim
    JimHOptim Member ✭✭
    Options

Attempted fix. On the "Mobile and Web" tab, there is a troubleshooting section. I clicked on the "Cloud Accounts associated with this Quicken ID" and deleted all of the old cloud accounts except the current file in use. Just guessing this may be where the old budget data is coming from???

Then I entered in my budget again and sync'd a few times. No changes to the budget values. Not sure if this is the longterm fix, but it seems to be working. Please try it and let me know if it works for you. BTW, I'm using Premier version 52.20.

• bmastersonmn
    Options

I think you will find that after several days or a few weeks, the problem will return. I have tried the same and thought it resolved but it was not.

Having said that, I now believe I know now why Quicken is not resolving this issue. They have a whole other web based product called Quicken Simplifi so it’s likely they have their resources focusing on that product and prefer users to use that for web access to data.

btw. A long long time ago someone from Quicken commented on this post but it’s been crickets for months. I do not believe they intend to ever resolve this issue so we may all be better off using other products.

• Tom10
    Tom10 Member ✭✭
    Options

I am having multiple budget issues: The first is the layout screen. Why is the personal income not a subset of all other income? Why is personal income not listed together with all other incomes such as salaries and other income? As it is now the layout is personal income is at the top then personal expenses in the middle and then other income at the bottom. Why is the space designated for total income show as a dash (-)? Now here is the real kicker - even though my total income matches my total expenses, why do I show a negative $32,000. at the bottom in a line labeled totals? Totals of what? Shouldn't this match my budget reports which show a zero for net difference which would indicate a balanced budget?

• Tom10
    Tom10 Member ✭✭
    Options

I may have found a work-around for the problem syncing does to the budget report. My income numbers were all wrong after my sync. I went to the Planning tab at the top and clicked on budgets and then returned to my budget report and it was correct.

• damcats
    damcats Member
    Options

This is so frustrating and such a basic thing to regression test when software changes are made. It looks like Quicken is taking the December budget numbers on the cloud from last year and overriding this year's budget numbers with those numbers. At least that is what I am seeing. Quicken, please fix this! Budget numbers should never change when doing sync or other financial updates.

• JimHOptim
    JimHOptim Member ✭✭
    Options

See my post from 9/25 in this thread. That fix is still working. The budget numbers have not changed in over 2 weeks and sync at least once everyday.

• bmgraphics
    bmgraphics Member ✭✭
    Options

I have never used Mobile and Web features, this is not a computer glitch, it's a software glitch. My budget numbers to this day keep changing still. I agree with others that this anomaly started earlier this year. I've been using Quicken for years and never used to have this issue. I also believe Quicken doesn't monitor this community forum since there is no mediator response for this problem that many are having, or they simply don't care. It's a shame.

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

To everyone who has this issue when is the last time you validated your data file or backed up your data file. Backup should be done on a daily basis and validate should be done at least once a week at minimum if you use Quicken on a daily basis.

I have never used and will never use the mobile web sync. By the very nature of "sync" it is not a matter of IF but a matter of WHEN something is going to get messed up. Those who use it do so at their own risk. I do not need 24/7 access to my financial information and if I do all I have to do is remote sign on to my computer from my laptop and get it. No sync needed.

I also do not and will never use the rollover feature. I prefer to do any "rollovers' manually as needed.

With this in mind I have not had these issues with the budget feature in Quicken since 2006. I am currently using Quicken Classic Premier R52.28 with Windows 10 22H2. The problems with "automatic" anything, not just in Quicken but all software, is that many take for granted that it will always do what it is supposed to and never check to see if it is doing what it is supposed to.

It can be automatic backups, syncs, rollovers whatever. If it is not monitored it is again not a matter of IF but WHEN something will go wrong.

• boysings
    boysings Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Jasmine Were you aware of this issue? Is there someplace where it's formally being tracked? (I'm running into the same thing. It's very difficult of rely on a budget when the budgeted values change after doing a sync.)

• imdcareys
    imdcareys Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Where is this located in the help for Quicken? I don't ever see reminders from Quicken to do these things like the ones reminding me to create a backup.

Win 11 - Quicken Premier - v54.16

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

There aren't any "reminders" for this I have just found out over the years (since 1998) that it is in one's best interest to do so. You should backup to a drive or thumb drive that is not the same drive that Quicken is on. You should have a rotating sequence of backups say using 2 or 3 drives for the backup. The drives can be NAS drives on your local home network or thumb drives. The first backup is to one drive, the second to the second drive the third to the third drive and the fourth back to the first drive. This is because even a backup drive can fail.

As far as validating a file I do this on a regular basis for this reason. If your file becomes corrupted and you do not know about it the backups you are making will be of that corrupted file. In other words those backups are useless. Just recently I had a situation where Quicken was corrupted. I have validated the file 3 days before. The previous two days of backups were also corrupted and worthless. The third day back was OK so I restored that backup than OSU to get the missing transactions back and I was good to go.

As for being reminded to do a backup you should just know to do this. My standard is a least once a day or some days when I am reconciling a number of accounts I will backup after every reconciliation is done. I do not like to have to reenter data and backups safe guard against this. I use manual backups to an NAS drive on my home network which is in turn backed up each morning at 12:01a to another NAS drive which once a month is backed up to a removable plug in drive. I have Quicken include the date and time of the backup in the backup drives file name.

• imdcareys
    imdcareys Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I personally do Quicken backups to an external drive on a regular basis. That drive is continuously backed up to OneDrive. Over time, I weed out the backups to just have one per month remaining. For older backups, I will just keep every 6 months.

Perhaps Quicken should check the data file upon opening and if there appears to be an issue it could recommend a validation. If validating the file needs to be done on a regular basis it would be good to see a reminder to do that, similar to the reminder to backup your data file.

Win 11 - Quicken Premier - v54.16

• PersonalBudgeting
    Options

I also have this same problem, which took me two years to figure why I could not trust the Quicken budget. It all came to light when we were relying on the online budget, but the rollover feature was not working, so we spendt wildly more than budgeted. I worked with Quicken for hours and hours and hours for another two years, nothing; they kept closing and opening new tickets so they could show in their system that they were closing/resolving tickets. I was able to get a partial refund though, so try for that. If another piece of software came up that I could transfer all my Quicken data to I would take it.

The sad thing is, if Quicken did what it actualy advertised, it would be the best personal accounting software out there.

• BobbyP
    BobbyP Member ✭✭
    Options

I am ready to throw in the towel on Quicken. They spent months "rebranding" their stupid logo and name but won't fix serious functional issues? Anyone try any other software like quicken. Is MS Money any good? I am sooo tired of Quicken's non response. They seem to wait for us as a community to come up with work arounds for everything.

This discussion has been closed.