Dashboard "Portfolio Value" incorrect after account transition & account closed

Options
rodney23
rodney23 Member ✭✭

My company recently transitioned 401k providers. The provider sold all the shares in the account and transferred the final account total to the new provider. The new provider bought shares in the same amount/ratios in similar investment assets.

I downloaded/recorded the sale, transfer account transactions. Verified zero balance, and "closed" the account in quicken. I downloaded/recorded the transfer/purchase transactions. All occurred on the same day in Quicken.

I noticed that the "Portfolio Value" card on the home Dashboard screen is not correct and doesn't match the total portfolio. I have verified that I have "All Accounts" selected in the card customization settings, and also verified that selecting the individual account(s) doesn't solve the issues. I have had the now Closed 401k account hidden in the list, and unhidden. Nothing appears to resolve the Portfolio Value graph display issue. The graph appears as if there was no 401k accounts before the transfer of the asset value into the new account, thus "spiking" the value. This results in in account history and/or change reporting regardless of the "period" selection setting chosen (1 year, 90 days, 1 month, etc.):

I'm assuming that there is a bug in the Portfolio Value dashboard card code that ignores "closed" account transactions. This is something that should be selectable or is just incorrect assumptions by the code.

I know that other parts of Quicken for Windows Classic are working correctly because in the "Investing" tab dashboard, the "Value over Time" graph reports it accurately:

I have seen other error/bug reports with similar issues, however they've been closed/ignored with no response from Quicken. Quicken admins, please review/comment and/or transfer this report to the developers.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @rodney23,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

I was able to replicate this issue and have forwarded it to the proper channels to be further investigated. In the meantime, please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Try setting "Y-axis at Zero".

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• rodney23
    rodney23 Member ✭✭
    Options

Y-Axis @ zero does not fix this issue.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I could not explain the results when the Y-axis was not at zero, so I did not offer the suggestion as a "fix".

But I tested (in a file with only the two investment accounts) in both R50.16 and R52.33, and when the Y-axis was set to zero, the Portfolio Dashboard displayed the expected results. 

[Here's what Quicken Help has to say about the Portfolio Value dashboard card:

"The Portfolio Value card shows the total worth of your investment holdings and tracks the change in value. You can choose from several different time periods. Turning off Y-axis at Zero will focus on the value changes rather than the total portfolio value."]

[Whether an account is "closed" in Quicken has no bearing on the results you reported: I reproduced your posted problem with the old (FROM) account NOT closed in Quicken, so there may well be something wrong when the Y-axis is not at Zero. Quicken seems to ignore the now-zero value account then.]

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.