If I uninstall and reinstall, what is lost?

Options
Bob.
Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

I have a few issues and have been asked to try uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken. I have no issues saving copies of my data files, backups - everything in user\documents\quicken. So, what is lost? Window sizes? Reports? Register settings? Preferences? Anything at all I should save (or make notes on) before doing this to make a restoration easier?

Thanks!

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It depends how much earth you plan to scorch. A simple uninstall/reinstall will preserve your settings. If you've been instructed also to delete some QWin-related folders, you might want to copy the contents of %APPDATA%\Quicken and \ProgramData\Quicken\Config first.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If so, likely ok with minimal pain.

And it tends to have minimal gain too.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

So uninstall from Windows Apps in Settings does not remove those two folders?

It does not.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

How do you mean, Chris?

Seems worth a try if I am seeing a functional error that others do not. I agree, I am not expecting miracles, but seems worth a try to see what it might fix. Though if those folders, which seem major configurations, are not replaced I can imagine the cause of errors could be there.

If you would not mind a very quick experiement:

Quicken Classic Windows latest release. Got to Online Bills and Add Online Biller. Search for Citi. Click on Citi - not citi cards or other citi though I think they all have the same issue for me. You do not have to have a Citi account!!! It fails before login and password ever appears.

I IMMEDIATELY get a popup something went wrong. Quicken grays and closes. There is an Event in .net in qw.exe in Event Viewer Adminsaration and a memory dump file is created along with wondows err files.

If you get the same, reinstall will likely not fix this. If you do not, it still likely will not but I have to try.

Thats one of 8 current issues I am trying to work through. If I cannot fix this one by myself with email help, then Tier 2 or 3 next week. But would love to know if that fails for anyone else.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

What is meant is that seldom does it fix whatever problem people is having. But it is definitely worth a try, especially if the problem is related to the actual program opposed to something like the download connections or such.

As for your Online Bills question. I gave up on Online Bills years ago, but as it turns out a week or so I tried it again just because someone asked if it was still as unreliable as it was in the past (it is).

And to directly answer your question about adding Citi, I got the same crash.

And this sort illustrates what I was talking about above. The only time it is going to fix anything is if somehow the program files (not the configuration files) got corrupted. Might happen right after an install, but even then, people tend to blame the last thing they think changed instead of what might have really been the problem.

Signature:
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Thanks you so much for trying!!!

I insisted it was a build / .net issue but others at Quicken could not reproduce it. I doubt uninstall will help my issues then. But may try anyway.

Sincerely appreciated.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

I can't make R52.33 crash starting to add Citi. I get a proper dialog. My only Citi accounts are credit cards, so I have no Citibank accounts to connect.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Note the "Citi" I was talking about is a Costco Anywhere Citi credit card. It is all I have with Citi.

Signature:
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think you are in the wrong place somehow RJS. I only have credit cards as well. But you do not need to have any for this crash as I have none in my TEST file. This is in Bills and Income, add online biller, citi - just CITI for sure but other citi's there fails as well. Maybe not. But I do not see the dialog you do.

And yes, 52.33

Odd the difference. But at least I now know for sure it is not only me as Chris confirmed.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Bob.

I have done complete and clean uninstall including all the residual folder and files over 100 times with no issues. However, sometimes installing the Manual Patch over what you already have could be an easier and lower effort option.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

I think you are in the wrong place somehow RJS. I only have credit cards as well. But you do not need to have any for this crash as I have none in my TEST file. This is in Bills and Income, add online biller, citi - just CITI for sure but other citi's there fails as well.

That's exactly where I was and I could not make it crash. But for Citi credit cards, the correct FI is "Citi Cards".

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Rocket J Squirrel comment got me thinking (what a strange message that it tells you that you have to add the account), so I did a bit of experimenting.

In a different account I did what @Rocket J Squirrel and got the same message.

Then I added the credit card using Citibank/Express Web Connect.

Then I added the online bill. It worked.

Then I removed the biller and the account, setup the account with Citi Cards/Direct Connect, and then tried to add the biller, it crashed.

Signature:
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks. What has to be redone with all cleaned BK? Reports? Colors? Prefs? Anything?

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

How odd. I'll check to see what I have…..

I AM with Direct Connect. Let me trythat change in my TEST file.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

From my experience, nothing changes and all remains the same. I just did that last week. Caveat: I cannot comment on bill pay as I don't use it.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Citi will not let me connect EWC, Chris. I deactivate, reactivate and have no choice of connection method.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ahhh, found the change connection method. Right back

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Use Citi as the financial institution, not Citi Cards. It won't give you a choice, it will be Express Web Connect.

But note I definitely don't recommend dropping Direct Connect to get the Online Bills to work with it.

Signature:
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks. Actually, I set my credit card with just CIti and it seems perfect. You will see that it was Direct Connect causing the issue, though I had been direct connect forever. And my bad, I DO have a citi credit card account in my test file. So I think I (we) found root cause on this crash. Thank you all!

About to test in my live file. If it works, will not need to post. If not, see ya soon :)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Bob. The problem with using Express Web Connect with Citi/Express Web Connect is its reliability.

Personally, I would never sacrifice that for getting the Citi credit card bill, especially since bills for credit cards tend to be "estimates" anyways. What I mean by that is if you return an item in between the statement close and when the bill is actually paid, the amount paid will be different since the returns will not be included.

Signature:
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW cannot argue but, I have only TWO accounts that are still Direct Connect - Wells where I pay my bills and Fidelity Investments. All others have moved to EWC or worse, EWC +. So making Citi one of that group is not extremely painful and it is, at this moment, the ONLY Online Biller that is working All the rest are broken in different ways.

And if by "estimate" you mean the rounding down of a penny, developers are aware and close to a fix for that one. As I have posted previously, that IS an issue if the amount due happens to be also the minimum due and you under pay - even by .01 - and get dinged for under paying.

For now feeling good the Citi "crash" has been figured out with your help. Was VERY frustrating when no one else was seeing that.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

No, by "estimate" I meant what I said. If you never have any returns, then maybe the billing will be accurate. But with my wife, no returns would be impossible. But your example probably applies too. Here is the thing, it is impossible to fix such problems. I don't know what the Quicken Developers have told you, but it is impossible.

What is picked up isn't a running balance, it is the statement balance. And even if it picked up the running balance that would be the wrong amount (running balance includes charges after the statement date).

The reason can never be right is because the correct amount isn't known until your payment is actually processed.

In the case of returns, you could have to return just before the payment. In the case of a penalty, they don't know what that is going to be until your payment comes in and it is not enough.

In theory I suppose a bill presentment system could change the amount right after the payment was made, but by that time, you should be able to download the transaction anyways. And you need to get the reminder into the register before the actual payment or you aren't going to get a match. But all of that is academic the third-party service doesn't work that way. At best it picks up the statement balance and there isn't any update of it past that.

Personally, I couldn't care less about getting this bill (I get an email for it directly from the financial institution). The only concerns to have a quick reliable reporting of the charges so that I can detect problems. As for the total, mine are always paid in full, and since the statement closes 20 to 30 days before the actual payment, that is what I would use for cash flow decisions (having at least what is on the statement balance ensures I have enough in the checking account, with returns it is more than I need, but no way I'm going to try to get it down to the penny anyways).

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.