Add New Account - Windows I Have No + on Account Bar to Add a New Account

Options
gatordad
gatordad Member ✭✭

Quicken Classic, version 53.35 Build 27.1.54.32

I use this account off line and for recording transactions only. I wan to add a new checking account. On the 'account bar' there is supposed to be a "+" sign. There is no such sign on my account bar, nor is there any option in any of the drop down menus. Am I required to 'upgrade' to some other version to be able to add a new account?

Best Answer

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can go to the bottom of the box asking for bank info and click on add it manually or something similar. You don't have to enter the info for online.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What version of Quicken are you using - Deluxe, Premier, etc.? Does Tools > Add Account… work?

The Account Bar should look like this

but it doesn't?

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Which edition are you running? Starter, Deluxe, Premier, Personal & Business (previously called Home and Business)?

Did your subscription expire? When?

If your subscription has expired and you are not running Starter, you should still be able to add offline manual accounts without needing to resubscribe. But there is a server issue the last few days. Sometimes I cannot do anything with my data file because the application cannot connect with my online Quicken.com account to confirm my license….and my subscription is current. You can read the Alert that's been posted about it here….but note that this issue is about much more (including the Quicken Cloud Accounts) than just issues with OSU: UPDATED 12/29/23 One Step Update Issues.

If your subscription has expired and you are running Starter: Starter becomes read-only when the subscription has expired. The only way to fix it is to resubscribe. Note - If this is your issue, I suggest not resubscribing to Starter because after a year you will run into the same issue, again. Instead, subscribe to Deluxe which will remain manually usable after the subscription expires in a year.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• gatordad
    gatordad Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm using Quicken Classic Starter. My subscription is current and nothing is done online. I currently have two banking accounts in the file. There is no "Account" bar over the list of accounts.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited December 2023
    Options

Click on "Tools" at the top left of Quicken. Do you see "Add Account" in that "Tools" menu? If so, click on it and let us know what happens.

• gatordad
    gatordad Member ✭✭
    Options

I got a similar drop down menu. When I went to add an account, the program required my bank info and started to go online. I don't want any online banking; I just want to add a simple check register.

My subscription is up for renewal in April. I am going to cancel and dump Quicken completely. I'll use the time between now and April to write my own register program.

I guess we can call this topic closed. Thanks for trying to help.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can go to the bottom of the box asking for bank info and click on add it manually or something similar. You don't have to enter the info for online.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As @volvogirl said, you CAN create an Account that's entirely manual. You must have understood that at some point since your original post you refer to an existing Account and say "I use this account off line."

• Boatnmaniac
    edited December 2023
    Options

The default Add Account screen that pops up is to set up a Connected Account as is shown below. If you clicked on one of the logos shown or typed in the name of the bank it would have started the process to set up the account for downloading.

But as @volvogirl mentioned, if you click on the +Offline Account tab you can add an account without having to enter your online account login information and Quicken will set it up as simply a manual account with no online services.

• gatordad
    gatordad Member ✭✭
    Options

It appears the program itself was on the verge of crashing. I did a reinstall and can now add an offline account.

Thanks for the help. FWIW, I'm in the process of writing my own 'electronic checkbook,' since that's really all I need. I'll probably be dumping my Quicken account when the subscription expires. I never did like subscribing to a bunch of stuff I didn't need.

This discussion has been closed.