Ongoing Issues for Customers who have both Discover Bank and Discover Card

Options

Quicken now adds/links both Bank and Card accounts. However, it only gets transactions for Bank. It no longer downloads transactions for Card, but it does update Card and show the correct current balance. Have already tried suggestions in various past threads on this topic.

Comments

• Karl-D
    Karl-D Member ✭✭
    Options

just logged out of Qucken ID and Back in, then it said my Discover Accounts had been deleted. Deactivated online services and re-enabled for discover accounts and right back to where I started. It says "All transactions have been downloaded" but no transactions appear. Again, balance for Credit Card is updated and matches Discover website. Just no transactions associated with the current balance to reconcile.

Have been using Quicken for 20+ years, and it's starting to become more trouble than it's worth for me. I understand the occasional issue with a local bank, etc. I just don't understand why there are such frequent issues with large, national financial institutions like Discover and E*TRADE.

• Karl-D
    Karl-D Member ✭✭
    Options

Left everything in place (Discover Card and Bank Accounts active and linked to Discover via Discover Bank Connection, but Discover Card transactions not downloading).

I then went to just add a new account, and chose Discover CARD rather than Discover BANK. It recoginzed the transaction already existed for the CARD, so I linked it. Transactions then downloaded for the CARD. Granted, BANK is probably broken now, but I don't have any current transactions to test that theory right now.

• jthiker
    jthiker Member ✭✭
    Options

Unable to add the Discover Card - error code CC-501

• Steve M
    Steve M Member ✭✭
    Options

I have the same issue. Worked with Quicken Support last night and did not get the issue resolved. Any word from Quicken on what is going on? My suspicion is that Discover allowing you to login and see all of your accounts may have changed something that affects the download of credit card transactions. I just don't know how to fix it. I have tried all the fixes in the posts on Community with no luck.

• DOS
    DOS Member ✭✭
    Options

For me it is only affecting my Discover it credit card transaction activity. My Discover Bank activity downloading is not affected. Discover Online Banking Support told me it is a known issue between Quicken and Discover Bank (discover.com). I was told they are working with Quicken to resolve the issue.

After updating my accounts in Quicken it does show an accurate "Online Balance" for the Discover credit card with no errors. As a work around for now If the "Online Balance" and "Ending Balance" do not match I go to discover.com and download the transaction activity to a .csv file. I can then copy the transactions into Quicken to match the "Online Balance" shown in Quicken. It is a bit cumbersome but it works. Takes me back to the days when not all accounts had One Step Update available.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

• Karl-D
    Karl-D Member ✭✭
    Options

I was able to get it working (for now) as follows. I say "for now" because who knows what it will do tomorrow?

Note that both Discover Bank, and Discover Card, sees both the bank and the card when you set up web connect.

Thus, my workaround is:
    Set up Bank, and say "don't add" the card.
    Set up Card, and say "don't add" to bank.

• vicdbrwski
    vicdbrwski Member ✭✭
    Options

When I try to set up the Card, I'm still getting a CC-501 for the "Discover Card' financial institution.

• bpriesmeyer
    bpriesmeyer Member ✭✭
    Options

Just here to reflect the same as others - If I add all of them under Discover Bank - the card transactions don't download and it screws up the balance.

Under my account, I added the Discover IT Credit card under Discover Card and kept it separate from Bank login and it worked.

However for my wife who has the same situation as me - I get a CC-501 error now when I try to connect the card.

Guess I'll have to wait it out - hope enough people report this as a problem….

• Ryan.C
    Ryan.C Member ✭✭
    Options

I've had the same issue. Currently.

I set up my card to update from discovercard.com and my bank accounts at discover.com.

It always works for a while and then stops downloading. Currently, I'm not having any trouble with the card account, but the bank accounts are not downloading activities even though one step update shows that it has downloaded all accounts.

One note of caution, and I've been running into this ever since I started using Discover Bank accounts. Sometimes when resetting the opening balances for the accounts do get changed for some reason.

Will watch for updaes.

• DOS
    DOS Member ✭✭
    Options

Discover it card transactions successfully downloaded into Quicken today. Interestingly the Discover it card billing period ended yesterday. Not sure that had anything to do with it but you never know. Just happy it appears to be working again, at least for now. Time will tell.

• vicdbrwski
    vicdbrwski Member ✭✭
    Options

Tried setting up a new test account with just the Discover IT card:

1- Using Financial Institution 'Discover Card' - CC-501, cannot proceed.

2- Using Financial Institution 'Discover Card Account Center' - CC-501, cannot proceed.

3- Using Financial Institution 'Discover Bank' - It finds the card, adds the account, but the last transaction dowloaded (of a year's worth!) is DECEMBER 14TH. This must be the day something broke. I have transactions since then, but no download.

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

And here we go again. Add me to the list.

• eghanson
    eghanson Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have a Discover Bank and 2 Discover Credit Cards with the same login. I just started getting errors for the two credit card accounts. Tried deactivating and reactivating the card accounts as Discover Card and only one would connect. Any solution?

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello All,

We will be forwarding this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. However, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem within your Quicken program and submit a problem report with log files and screenshots attached in order to contribute to the investigation. It would also aid the investigation to include a sanitized file when submitting the problem report. A sanitized file is a data file that removes personally identifiable information so you can comfortably share this file with the Quicken team.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Bruce Kantor
    Bruce Kantor Member ✭✭
    Options

I have 2 Discover Cards setup for online transaction download and one downloads transactions. The second one fails to download transactions starting in 1/9/2023 with a CC-800 error indicating that the account associated with the card has been deleted from discover.com.

I verified that the account still exists on discover.com. When I deactivated online access for the failed card and tried to reactivate it, Quicken only finds the first card that continues to function correctly. Did Quicken introduce a bug that effects folks with multiple cards at discover.com? As an FYI, I have multiple cards with Chase that continue to function normally.

Please advise. Thank you.

Bruce Kantor

• eghanson
    eghanson Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have the same issue. I have Discover bank savings and two credit card accounts. Disconnecting and then reconnecting the card accounts, only brings up one credit card account of the two. If I do the same with my bank savings, and all the accounts come up, but the credit card account that previously did not show now connects to the other card account, downloading the wrong transactions. If I just connect the bank account, then connect the card account, again only one of the two card accounts connects and downloads the transactions. The next update to the connected bank and card accounts produces the Cc-800 error and I can never connect the other card account. I have seen somewhere that this may be an issue with the Quicken Cloud Sync. This is an ongoing issue with Quicken in any case and needs a fix.

• Adamiam
    Adamiam Member ✭✭
    Options

same issue. Have had Discover accounts work in Quicken Classic for MAC but now after entering credentials, says, additional temporary code required but not where to find the code - no text, no email, no messages on the Discover portal or app.

Anyone know how to fix this, please?

• tlrippe
    tlrippe Member
    Options

I have had the same Discover card and bank accounts for 20+ years, and they have both been downloading pretty much trouble-free for that time. However sometime after December 1, 2023 the bank account stopped connecting. The card account is working fine. I have tried resetting, and also deactivating, and reconnecting, but no luck. I get through the part of the process where I enter an ID code sent from Discover, but then the Activate One-Step Update window appears and states "Sorry we encountered an error (It's not your fault)" and "Quicken is having trouble connecting to Discover Bank". Options are to "try again" or "I'll enter my transactions manually". No error code # is listed. I've tried this repeatedly for the last couple of weeks with the exact same results.

• eghanson
    eghanson Member ✭✭✭
    Options

It looks like that Discover now requires Authorization for Third Party access to your Discover Accounts per the below from there website.

Manage Third-Party Access

These are sites you've authorized to access your financial data. You can deny access anytime.

To authorize access again, you'll need to visit the specific site.

There are currently no sites authorized to access your financial data.

It appears that Discover has added a security level that Quicken is still not supporting even though the access may work sometimes?? No sites were listed.

• Karl-D
    Karl-D Member ✭✭
    Options

Just had to deactivate and reactivate yet again. Just paid $70 for another year of Quicken, so hope they can get the software working with Discover Financial which is one of the largest financial institutions in the country. Really inconvenient to have to fiddle with adding and removing accounts every couple months. I'm on the latest version of Quicken and seems like there are still issues here.

• Milo-b
    Milo-b Member ✭✭
    Options

I found a work-around for this issue. Hopefully this helps someone.

As others have said if you have a Discover bank account connected, and try to add Discover card the Discover card links to discover.com. After linking it appears to connect and download transactions but they do not show up in the register.

Work-around:

Deactivate the DiscoverCard account but do not re-activate via Account Details as reactivating there will re-connect to discover.com and there are no options provided to get to discovercard.com. Instead go to Tools → Add Account and type in Discover - Note: It should show Discover Card in "Best Results" and on the right you will see that the link for www.discovercard.com is displayed. Click next and do the rest of the connection. You will get the option to connect to the existing account. Now it downloads transactions to the discover card.

Hopefully Quicken can test this and fix the issue.

• eghanson
    eghanson Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately, if you have 2 Discover Card accounts, only 1 is listed to connect to. If Discover Banki is selected, all accounts are listed, but connecting the Discover Card that has not connected, no transactions are downloaded. Unable to connect second Discover Card to Quicken to download transactions.

• Milo-b
    Milo-b Member ✭✭
    Options

@eghanson

Not that I have tried because I don't have two card accounts. But I am wondering if you tried adding the second card account from Tools → Add account and choose Discover Card (and confirming that it connects to discovercard.com not discover.com). You don't have to delete or change the second account to do this. Quicken will still let you link to an existing account even though you have chosen "Add account".

Just curious if you have tried this approach. Even if this works - It is still a bug in Quicken IMHO.

• eghanson
    eghanson Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The second Discover Card only shows up if Discover Bank is used, but then no transactions are downloaded, but the Online Balance is updated. Discover Card Account Center shows one of the two Discover Card accounts when the setup is tried for the unlinked account. Unlinking both accounts still only shows the one account which is then relinked. Using Discover Card or Discover Card Account Center does not seem to make a difference.

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • jianghawk
    jianghawk Member
    Options

Exactly the same problem that I'm having with only 1 Discover card appears while I have 2 cards…. why hasn't Quicken fixed it yet ????

• paul28
    paul28 Member ✭✭
    Options

my subscription is up for renewal. discover card miraculously updated today but not without retrying. fidelity is also broken no ETA. i'm thinking quicken should stop adding bells and whistles and get the connections reliable. i might just go back to spread sheets and CSV downloads. less trouble.

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

My guess is that it has something to do with what the Intuit server thinks is linked/found vs. reality. I had the same thing happen with my Chase business accounts. Suddenly it stopped downloading (no errors). I had to go through the deactivate/reactivate and it refused to see the one account (even though on the authorization screen it showed them all). I then found somewhere in my Chase account to "deauthorize" the account that wasn't showing up in Quicken. I then re-authorized it again (this was ALL in the Chase website, BTW), and then Quicken found the account. About 1-2 days later, Quicken Kristina (I think) posted a workaround for the Chase issue that was basically the same (except the posted workaround was to deauthorize ALL accounts). I just had to "toggle" the account off/on within the Chase website and suddenly Quicken decided to find stuff again.

Unfortunately I see NO such option/feature on Discover's website. So I just have to manually input the transactions (I don't think Discover has the quicken file options any longer, only .csv and you have to use a third party program to decipher all that to import into quicken).

I have submitted a "report problem" but nothing's happened. I'm not really wanting to spend 2+ hours on the phone with Quicken to finally get to a L2 support person only to have to wait some more for a bug fix.

• Steve M
    Steve M Member ✭✭
    Options

Discover card transactions are still not downloading as they are posted, however, for the last two statement closings all posted transactions for Discover Card during that timeframe downloaded the next day.

This discussion has been closed.