Quicken's Price Increase

Options
PatQuilting95
PatQuilting95 Member
edited February 10 in The Water Cooler

I logged into my Quicken account to a price increase in the subscription fee from us for Quicken Classic. What?

Worse, Quicken couldn't bother to notify me of increase. I mean, I admit I figured something might be coming, but their notice of an increase did NOT include Quicken Classic. On 12/27/2023, I received an email from Quicken that said, "We’re reaching out to let you know about an upcoming price change for Quicken Classic Home and Business. On January 25, 2024, the current price of $9.99 per month will become $10.99." As you can see, Classic was not addressed in the rate increase.

I figured I could tolerate a 10% increase.

The next email from Quicken was 2 days ago and all it said was, "Your Quicken Classic Deluxe (US) subscription will renew on 2/07/2024. There's nothing you need to do — we're just letting you know. If you’d like to make changes, please contact Quicken Support. "z

Again, NO mention of how much.

I've been a user of Quicken since version 1. I am not the least bit happy with Quicken. [Removed - Speculation/Rant]

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 10
    Options

If you think Quicken is a monopoly then you need to take a look around. I could name a dozen alternatives to Quicken, and almost all of them charge a monthly or annual fee. Some of them are less expensive than Quicken, so if you think Quicken is too expensive there are cheaper alternatives.

(Some of them cost more than Quicken; Quicken's pricing doesn't seem like an outlier to me. Above average, perhaps, but not the most expensive by any means.)

They don't really like such discussions here, though, so you should try some other forum if you want specific recommendations; Reddit might be a good start.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is nothing that prevents you from renewing before the price increase. Doing now will extend your subscription by 12 months just like doing it after the price increase date.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I received an email from Quicken that said, "We’re reaching out to let you know about an upcoming price change for Quicken Classic Home and Business. On January 25, 2024, the current price of $9.99 per month will become $10.99."

As you can see, Classic was not addressed in the rate increase.

Worse, Quicken couldn't bother to notify me of increase.

None of this makes any sense to me.

You state that they couldn't be bothered to tell you, but then proceed to post the contents of the email they sent to tell you exactly that.

Then you go on to say that Classic wasn't mentioned with it is in fact in the email message that you posted.

Again, NO mention of how much.

the current price of $9.99 per month will become $10.99.

Now mind you I definitely think the "monthly rate" but charged yearly is a stupid marketing trick but multiplying by 12 isn't that hard.

The one thing that Quicken Inc did right this time around is notifying people before the change in price so that if they want, they can extend their subscription now at the lower current price.

You can extend your subscription up to 6 months before it is due to expire. What's more even if someone wasn't within 6 months of the expiring of their subscription, they could buy an activation code from a retailer and hold that until they were within 6 months of their subscription expiring and then extend it at that time.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • PatQuilting95
    Options

Yes, I can renew now and save money. But, it does not negate my arguments. 1) They gave zero notice of the increase to Quicken Classic, and 2) it is an exorbitant 20% increase.

I bet it is because they introduced their Quicken Mobile. But that is broken in many ways. Believe me, I've been trying to work with it just to give it a try.

Quicken Classic is not worth a 20% increase, especially with zero notice.

• PatQuilting95
    Options

Update on the renewal issue.

NO, it is no longer possible to renew your subscription early. Or at least not at current rate. You pay the new rate and that is that.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't see how you can claim that you can't buy the subscription right now for the "old price":

And it is currently 1/11/2024 and the price increase is going into effect on 1/25/2024, that isn't "zero notice". And in effect, they have given more than a year's notice. You can renew your subscription today and have it extended 12 months from the day it expires if it will be expiring in the next 12 months. If it won't be expiring in the next 6 months you can buy the activation code before 1/25/2024 and save it until you are within 6 months of your subscription expiring and then use it to extend the subscription. I renewed my subscription which was due to expire on 1/17/2024 in November at a discount during the holidays. It is now due to expire 1/17/2025. So, I won't see a price increase until I renew it again, most likely again in November because that is when the best retails prices are. If one had a sub scription that was due to expire say in August 2024, and they bought a retail activation code now, they could extend that at the right time all the way to August 2025. To me this a LOT of notice, not zero notice.

As for if Quicken is worth it or not for any given price, well that is up to the individual to decide.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • PatQuilting95
    Options

Jon, I would like to see this "at least a dozen alternatives" to Quicken Deluxe.
    I need desktop. Show me alternatives that are desktop.
    Also, nowhere did I complain that we pay a subscription. I complained about an unannounced increase AND it being 20% when other versions increased 10%.

• PatQuilting95
    Options

Chris W. Sorry, but the price you are showing on your screen shot is NOT the old price. So, I AM correct when I say it is not possible to renew at the old price in advance of my subscription renewing.
    Furthermore, it isn't even possible to pay the subscription ahead of time. It renews on its date and that is that.
    And I have talked to customer service and they agreee.

This discussion has been closed.