Using DropBox for backups

Options
ramaloy
ramaloy Member ✭✭✭

I want to back up to dropbox, but it isn't an available location as a selection option. Quicken's promotion with Dropbox appears in a side panel, but when I try to activate it, I get a message the code has already been used. How do I get around that?

[edited - changed title from "Downloads" which did not properly summarize the post]

Best Answer

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Even though you have a Dropbox account Quicken won't recognize it if you don't have the Dropbox app installed on your computer. Do you have the Dropbox app installed on your computer? Is it visible on your desktop? Is it visible in the apps on your computer? (click the Windows icon in the taskbar and select "all apps" which will be listed alphabetically. As an alternative, go into "settings" and select "apps" and then "installed apps" which are also listed alphabetically.)

Once installed, it should appear when you attempt a backup. If you backup to a USB thumb/flash drive, that drive will appear when you insert it into a USB port, and when you eject the drive after a backup, it will no longer appear as a backup source. The same applies to Dropbox except you are not inserting anything into a USB port.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @ramaloy,

Do you already have a dropbox account created? If so, you may need to get it set up on your computer so that Quicken can see it and give you the option to backup to it. You may find this article useful for getting Dropbox set up on your computer:

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• ramaloy
    ramaloy Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, Kristina. I have a Dropbox account. The problem is that Quicken doesn't launch a Dropbox backup destination for any backup request. I think I need Quicken to give me another promotion code so I can have a Dropbox account linked to Quicken. How do I get this? Does anyone from Quicken monitor these posts?

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Even though you have a Dropbox account Quicken won't recognize it if you don't have the Dropbox app installed on your computer. Do you have the Dropbox app installed on your computer? Is it visible on your desktop? Is it visible in the apps on your computer? (click the Windows icon in the taskbar and select "all apps" which will be listed alphabetically. As an alternative, go into "settings" and select "apps" and then "installed apps" which are also listed alphabetically.)

Once installed, it should appear when you attempt a backup. If you backup to a USB thumb/flash drive, that drive will appear when you insert it into a USB port, and when you eject the drive after a backup, it will no longer appear as a backup source. The same applies to Dropbox except you are not inserting anything into a USB port.

• ramaloy
    ramaloy Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, Keeper. Dropbox Promo appears in "all apps," but it isn't listed on the available apps when I hit the "change" button for backup locations. If anyone has a solution for that, I'd love to hear it.

In the meantime, I was able to open my Dropbox a/c and "upload" a current Quicken file - how it found the Quicken backup files, I have no idea. On a 2nd laptop, when I launched "restore" and hit "change," Windows found the Dropbox app, and I was able to restore the current backup. I'd rather not have to go through this procedure going forward, but at least it's an effective workaround.

This discussion has been closed.